Hallucination zoas weird behavior

JenYipperSon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey r2r community! I was hoping on getting some help with my hallucinations. They started doing this behavior recently but what is odd is that I have 2 other large plates of hallucinations that are doing good. This is the only colony that is doing this behavior. Any help is appreciated
EE9EA190-FBA8-475C-80F0-128006285967.jpeg

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
You likely have a bacterial or fungal issue going on there. I'd handle this by cutting off the obviously affected polyps. I'd then cut out the next closest decent looking polyps and put them on plugs. Once done triaging I'd either do a series of furan-2 dips (4 days on, 1-2 days off, repeat as necessary) or use the global option and hit the tank with a dose of Chemiclean if you're seeing any other affected zoas. Since these polyps are all connected its possible for this to burn though the whole colony pretty quickly- time is of the essence.

OP
OP
J

JenYipperSon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You likely have a bacterial or fungal issue going on there. I'd handle this by cutting off the obviously affected polyps. I'd then cut out the next closest decent looking polyps and put them on plugs. Once done triaging I'd either do a series of furan-2 dips (4 days on, 1-2 days off, repeat as necessary) or use the global option and hit the tank with a dose of Chemiclean if you're seeing any other affected zoas. Since these polyps are all connected its possible for this to burn though the whole colony pretty quickly- time is of the essence.
Yeah was thinking it was bacterial, happened before with another colony and I cut off the affected polyps. Was also thinking of using furan2 but wasn’t sure if it would help since I only use Furan 2 for zoapox. Thanks for the recommendations

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Furan-2 is the best hammer all around. It works on both gram negative and positive bacterial (basically for most bacterial issues). I'd stress do the first full cycle, see where its at, and then maybe doing a second cycle just to make sure you've stomped out the issue. I'll add that when I do the furan-2 dips I follow up with a mild 5-6 min lugol's dip.

While I feel that Furan-2 is the best tool for this issue I have recently used Chemiclean as a global option. I've found that to also be effective, but you need to stop skimming, pull carbon and gfo, so that's the trade off.

Good luck! I know it sucks triaging and cutting away polyps, been there often enough myself.

nicholasng11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely cut of the infected area . On a safe side cut a frag or 2. Personally I was never able to keep hallucinations for some reason. I brought 2 frags both died with in months. Mb just my luck lol

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back