Hammar coral not doing good

seb_sorbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my hammer coral for over a week now, 3 days ago it was open and full then it didn’t open 2 days ago. I will include info below.

Tank: 52 litres/ 13.5 gallons
Flow: low to moderate
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 2
Nitrite: 0
Ph: 8.2
Mag: 1450
Cal: 480
Kh: 7
My acan coral is doing well inside the tank

5C586C3D-D87C-4261-ABC9-CC1A54B54E9C.jpeg 888C0A64-000D-41F9-8765-0723B9E2021C.jpeg A8C66152-FD2B-450D-A785-04E0B6D3A1D3.jpeg 80D5F3D1-E4E8-4FF4-87E1-0B1EF75D9E3B.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Acclimation was very short and How did you acclimate it?
Is clown laying in the hammer ? They are known to get too excited and beat the hammer to death.
Avoid extremely bright locations or areas of very high current, and avoid areas that are too dark or with currents that are too low. Fast currents risk damaging the soft, fleshy polyps (and getting an infection). Bright lights will cause bleaching. Insufficient lighting will cause the poor coral to wither away and starve to death.
Hammer corals only require a moderate amount of light for photosynthesis and can grow well in the intermediate regions of your tank. Just about any reef LED lighting should be sufficient for most tanks. Reduce white light intensity and get it off the sand bed which sand can irritate it.
The polyps should sway in the current, but not sustain so much pressure they are constantly bent over their skeleton. Too much flow will tear the polyps (worst case) and cause the polyps do not extend in the first place (best case). So, don’t give them too much flow.

OP
OP
S

seb_sorbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation was very short and How did you acclimate it?
Is clown laying in the hammer ? They are known to get too excited and beat the hammer to death.
Avoid extremely bright locations or areas of very high current, and avoid areas that are too dark or with currents that are too low. Fast currents risk damaging the soft, fleshy polyps (and getting an infection). Bright lights will cause bleaching. Insufficient lighting will cause the poor coral to wither away and starve to death.
Hammer corals only require a moderate amount of light for photosynthesis and can grow well in the intermediate regions of your tank. Just about any reef LED lighting should be sufficient for most tanks. Reduce white light intensity and get it off the sand bed which sand can irritate it.
The polyps should sway in the current, but not sustain so much pressure they are constantly bent over their skeleton. Too much flow will tear the polyps (worst case) and cause the polyps do not extend in the first place (best case). So, don’t give them too much flow.
The clown wasn’t inside the hammer, like i said it was good until one day, I didn’t move it or anything it just randomly didn’t open. The current wasn’t annoying it. I didn’t notice some deadness on the bottom of the coral aswell as the outside of the Hammer when I got him.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The clown wasn’t inside the hammer, like i said it was good until one day, I didn’t move it or anything it just randomly didn’t open. The current wasn’t annoying it. I didn’t notice some deadness on the bottom of the coral aswell as the outside of the Hammer when I got him.
It’s not o believe water quality but likely insufficient lighting, low calcium or tissue stress

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate seems low. The coral might be starving.
It is also possible that it was already sick/damaged when you purchased it and is just now showing the effects. While you do want to limit the amount you disturb it, you could try an iodine dip.

OP
OP
S

seb_sorbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate seems low. The coral might be starving.
It is also possible that it was already sick/damaged when you purchased it and is just now showing the effects. While you do want to limit the amount you disturb it, you could try an iodine dip.
Ok I will go and buy that since I don’t have it at home, would overfeeding the tank increase the nitrate

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will go and buy that since I don’t have it at home, would overfeeding the tank increase the nitrate
Yes, that is one way. Another is to take the skimmer cup off and/or otherwise reduce your filtration.

For iodine, the regular grocery store stuff works fine (might be called povidone-iodine). Add a few drops to a container of tank water until it's the color of tea (you should still be able to see through it) and dip the coral for 10 minutes. You can add it back to the tank without rinsing it off.

Good luck :)

OP
OP
S

seb_sorbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is one way. Another is to take the skimmer cup off and/or otherwise reduce your filtration.

For iodine, the regular grocery store stuff works fine (might be called povidone-iodine). Add a few drops to a container of tank water until it's the color of tea (you should still be able to see through it) and dip the coral for 10 minutes. You can add it back to the tank without rinsing it off.

Good luck :)
Thanks for the help

Back