Hammer coral not happy?

Dierker2003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so I have a toxic green hammer coral and one head seems to be retracted and un happy while the other head seems totally fine? And ideas why this might be? Thanks

image.jpg

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it? Typically I find my euphyllia extends or retracts as a whole unless something is irritating it. Could be a fish or shrimp. Worst case would be something like a gall crab that bores into the skeleton and will eventually kill the head. May be worth inspecting closely for anything abnormal around the base if things don't look better after a few more days.

OP
OP
Dierker2003

Dierker2003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it? Typically I find my euphyllia extends or retracts as a whole unless something is irritating it. Could be a fish or shrimp. Worst case would be something like a gall crab that bores into the skeleton and will eventually kill the head. May be worth inspecting closely for anything abnormal around the base if things don't look better after a few more days.
I’ve had it for about a month. At the beginning it was fine but I’ve recently upgraded tank size so nothing has been real stable lately because I’ve been having to change lots of water and whatnot so I’ll give it some time. All the other corals seem to be doing fine though.

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it some time. If it doesn't turn around do a thorough inspection for possible irritation. Could be as simple as a nearby aptasia.

OP
OP
Dierker2003

Dierker2003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it some time. If it doesn't turn around do a thorough inspection for possible irritation. Could be as simple as a nearby aptasia.
I noticed there are two small heads starting to grow right under the head that isn’t opening. Do you think it’s closed up so the small growing heads could get some light? And it’s also closed more from when I posted the thread.

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it has to do with the closing up but 2 new heads is a good sign.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back