Hammer Emergency

Dylan Cutchin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running great for just shy of a year. Everything going great, a little bleaching as it's my first reef, not too bad, no lost stock, coral wise. For a long time now, 4~5 months one of my two hammers head's has been finicky about opening and does it once in a blue moon. But today when I survey everything, it really wasn't looking good. I have two separate heads on a frag disc, and one is opening and growing like a champ, so what would cause this other one to not? The next moring there was some peeling flesh that reminds me of BJS. I will update w/ my parameters later. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

15518019354593136797659071467017.jpg

IMG_20190304_195349418.jpg

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The head on the left looks like its receding. What are your water params? Lights? Flow?

OP
OP
D

Dylan Cutchin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The head on the left looks like its receding. What are your water params? Lights? Flow?
I'll be doing water test when I get back from school, but lights I have two compact t5s: one 50/50 10k daylight, the other full blue actinic. It's in moderate flow. And why would the other head right next to it be doing so well? Perhaps the big one is mad at it and doing some stinging?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Stinging is a possibility. Generally too much current will contribute.
Hate to say but CF lighting may be inadequate.
If you’re not target feeding them, do so at least twice a week

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And why would the other head right next to it be doing so well?

Good question! Remember: Just because the head on the right is doing better than the head on the left, doesn't mean the head on the right can't do even better.

Light intensity, flow and water chemistry all are important. So if the location, flow and chemistry of the water is good for one head, why not the other?

My hammer is about 4 inches from the water surface where there is excellent flow and lighting. It has about 18 heads on it now (I started with 2). 1 or 2 of those heads look like yours, but they are at the bottom and shielded from flow and light. After directing some flow toward the bottom, those heads have picked up.

You could try relocating the frag to a new spot with greater flow and light. Then wait a week to see if it improves.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back