Hammer polyp bailout?

razorskiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This head was completely normal and fully extended yesterday, no animals in tank that could be bothering it, just snails.
Parameters from last night during routine testing with salifert kits:
NO3 25
PO4 0.1
Alk 10.0
Ca 430
Mg 1300
Salinity 34.5 ppt

I added a 2nd AI Nero earlier in the week but it's much higher and in opposition to another. I included a gif of what the flow looks like, it's still early in the lighting cycle so not everyone is fully extended yet but generally by mid afternoon they're twice as big as least. This one was also closest to the corner where it experiences by far the least flow. The frag itself had been in the tank for a bit over 2 weeks at this point.

Is there any way to save the head? Should I try to remove the ejected tentacles?

20220904_100025.jpg

Have a bunch of other euphyllia on the same rock that are healthy. Still early in the morning so not fully extended.

20220904_100810.gif

Everything else in the tank looks happy, trachy and bowerbankis are inflated nicely, zoas are all open, goni's are extended and happy looking.

:-(

OP
OP
R

razorskiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap, now that I think about it I scraped the walls last night before measuring parameters. I wonder if I brushed against the head with my hand or the scraper handle and damaged the skeleton. Using a magnifier it does look like the skeleton is damaged to one side, which would track with user induced damage. :-( :-(

Is there a safe way to handle a physically damaged head? Any chance of survival? Do I attempt to excise the dangling tentacles?

20220904_101843.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back