Hammer recession from the stalk

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hammer and have had it for about a month. To be honest, I don’t know if this is new or not. But it’s tissue seems to be slowly peeling from the stalk. The polyps are out though and does not appear to be stressed. I have heard some people say that hammers go through natural recession just as a part of old growth
13C00189-4BB8-488A-BE4C-09F1097694B2.jpeg
C3C715EE-E2B0-476B-964D-9AE748F7CCE1.jpeg
A70A4409-3446-418B-97E5-47ECCD5AE0EF.jpeg
. Is this what this is?

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait seriously?:eek:

Perhaps he meant it in the sense that the pictures show in detail what is going on. Lots of pictures are so blurry they can not accurately tell the story.

But in regards to your tissue recession. I have had that happen to my frogspawn. It did the same exact thing like yours while every other LPS in the tank had no recession. When I checked my parameters I noticed my ALK was a little low so I adjusted it and nothing else happened. How are your parameters?

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it been growing? It almost looks like the fresh skeleton as it’s been growing, but it could be starting to recede. Does it open nice and full during the day? How much light is it getting? What are your tanks parameters?

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps he meant it in the sense that the pictures show in detail what is going on. Lots of pictures are so blurry they can not accurately tell the story.

But in regards to your tissue recession. I have had that happen to my frogspawn. It did the same exact thing like yours while every other LPS in the tank had no recession. When I checked my parameters I noticed my ALK was a little low so I adjusted it and nothing else happened. How are your parameters?
This hammer came from my other tank and when I moved it the recession had already started. The tank it came from is about 2.5 years old and has acropora and I dose it so to be honest I have not tested it in maybe 4 months because everything has been thriving. There are other euphillia in there as well. I guess what I’m asking is if this is just the normal recession that comes along with growth or is it unhappy recession?

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the polyps are extended and there is no other sign of stress. Perhaps the tissue receded a little more due to the move. As I mentioned, I had a frogspawn do this to me and the tissue stopped receding at about 3/4th's of an inch from the top of its skeleton. Not sure if this was due to the ALK (again, all other LPS were fine) or if it was just growing. Mine also had that recession in a location of a branch like in your picture.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Mine does this at lights out but full during the day and I have a lot of hammer.
On stalk, appears new heads are emerging. If ever in doubt, you can do a quick iodine dip but make it a last resort

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does this at lights out but full during the day and I have a lot of hammer.
On stalk, appears new heads are emerging. If ever in doubt, you can do a quick iodine dip but make it a last resort
I think you may have thought I meant the head was receding. At night the head on mine closes up too. But what I’m talking about is the tissue on the stalk where the stony part is has the recession

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back