Hammer skeleton shedding?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammer seems to be reacting poorly to a big algae clean-up. Removed it into a shallow tray with tank water to clean off GHA--some seemed to be on its skeleton. Replaced it a few times in different locations in the tank. Skeleton "skin" seems to be peeling up and it is withdrawing polyps most of the time, showing skeleton. Also removed carbon (phosguard still in) and added 1mL vibrant to combat bryopsis that is gaining ground. Also dropped whites down, so not likely getting a lot of par on sand bed.

Any ideas if this just a stress response, or is this a downhill turn that will get worse? Course of action? Move it again to higher on rock to get more light?

Parameters:
Temp: 77
sG: 1.026 (Red Sea Coral Pro)
NH3/NO2: 0
NO3: 2.5 (bit low because of the GHA/bryopsis I think, but maybe on the move up since I just removed a bunch of it...
kH: 12.65
Ca: 430
Mg: 1275
Phos: 0

IMG_20211212_091644061_HDR.jpg

Note: alveopora in background retracted because I just sprayed some reef roids on it. Most everything else in the tank looks OK.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BJD.

You need ciprofloxacin

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not looking good. Need to catch it very early in my experience :( Chewy used to have Cipro in the aquarium meds section. Not sure if they still do. Last time I checked they no longer did. Some have used chemi clean as it is a broad spectrum antibiotic and may be easy to find quickly. By the time you order Cipro online it will be too late. I keep it stocked now. One bottle of pills will last a long long time. Can buy them from https://aquanestbiotic.com/ I have ordered from them and they are very fast with filling orders.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Browning is often algae or loss of Zooxanthellae. Loss is generally due to too much or too little light.
Candy cane require Moderate light and water flow and occasional feedings of food such as Mysis shrimp

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Browning is often algae or loss of Zooxanthellae. Loss is generally due to too much or too little light.
Candy cane require Moderate light and water flow and occasional feedings of food such as Mysis shrimp
Thanks! The brown/green is on the stem of the candy cane. The fleshy brown part is its actual color (purplish brown with teal center). I have it in moderate lighting with a Fluval Marine 3.0 and a supplemtary bar light w/ 3w LEDs. Right at this moment probably low PAR since lowered for algae control. Also feeding it mysis once a week if I can get the mysis into its mouth.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks! The brown/green is on the stem of the candy cane. The fleshy brown part is its actual color (purplish brown with teal center). I have it in moderate lighting with a Fluval Marine 3.0 and a supplemtary bar light w/ 3w LEDs. Right at this moment probably low PAR since lowered for algae control. Also feeding it mysis once a week if I can get the mysis into its mouth.
Hate to say but the lights you mentioned are basic and likely inadequate. You need good spectrum
Best bet is :
Kessil a160
Ai prime
Small reefbrite actinic strip
Noopsche

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chewy still carries it if you find it necessary
Got it in my cart, looking for some add-ons for free shipping.

In the meantime, I have enough cipro from a neighbor for a full round--hopefully in time to save the hammer, but at least will treat any others in the tank that might have been infected. Amazing how much it has deteriorated in the last 12 hr--lessons learned.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KrisReef @Shirak

Thanks for the tips on cipro. Below photo at day 3 of cipro. Seems to have halted the infection, but damage is still substantial. Believe it or not, looks slightly better than two days ago.

Would you try to feed it, or just let it soak up light and keep it comfy? I can turn up the whites to add more par if you think it would help (currently minimal for algae treatments). My best guess is it is sitting at around 75 par mostly blues.

IMG_20211215_225740079_HDR.jpg

Polyps come out a bit during the day.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back