Hanna Alk reagent issues

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5423 bad as well. Almost full bottle is junk. It doesn't even look greenish color that it's supposed to be.
I have that lot#.
What is yours doing? Reading high or low?

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished my first container of reagent and so far so good; I've double checked my Hanna with the Red Sea test kit several times (especially after seeing this thread) and did not find any discrepancies between the two, even as the reagent was just about spent. My reagent was lot 5423. I've just ordered some more from BRS so we'll see how it goes:)

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok hold on. I have tried to explain the issues many times over.
These are as accurate as you make it. So I have put together a response to this thread.
1 bottle is 30 days old and the second I just opened for these images.
So lets start!
Here is the 30 day old reagent
Vial must be clean of ALL AIR bubbles, smudges and fingerprints.
DSC_0222.JPG
Next the measurement of the reagent has to be exact!
DSC_0223.JPG
Now when you put this in the vial again no smudges, bubbles or prints
DSC_0224.JPG
Here is the result
DSC_0225.JPG

Now on to the new reagent :)
Again no smudges, air bubbles or prints
DSC_0226.JPG
Now the reagent exactly measured
DSC_0227.JPG
Now again introduce the reagent with an absolutely smudge free vial no air bubbles. DSC_0228.JPG

Here is the result :)
DSC_0229.JPG

I can reproduce this all day long..
My tank sits at 160
Now it was my fault on the first test it dropped from my picture platform.
So before there is any bad naming companies make sure you are doing these tests like your in a lab.
Thank you for looking
Todd

No, I disagree. I've been using my checker for two years and have always gotten reproducible results. I've gone through many bottles of reagent. I use the technique and cautiousness you describe. I always shake the bottle. I run biopellets so I shoot for about 135 or so.

About two weeks ago, I got a test that said 92. Repeated and it said 93. This is from a reagent that I have used many times and there was about 1/3 of the bottle remaining. Because I trust my checker, I flipped out and began to correct the problem. My mag was low, so I dosed it to proper levels. I dosed some baking soda and made up a strong batch of kalk. I tested a few days later with the Hannah, and alk was 126. Problem solved. Test a few days later...93.....again at 93. How could it drop so quickly?

I get out my Salifert alk test. 10.9 dkh. Test again......10.9. Obviously the Hannah reagent is bad and I jacked up my alk because of it. Now I'm slowly bringing it back down. I never even had a problem. My checker made me think I had one. I love my Hannah checker and I'll buy another reagent, but I'll be running side by side tests with Salifert for a while.

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading really low. My number is usually right around 150 and the reading I took last night was 110. Double checked again with Red Sea and showing 8.3/8.4.

Wow. Mine is not doing that. My alk reading has dropped maybe 8 to 10 points.

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the OP had one that tested bad at the end of the bottle.

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot 5441 exp 9/16 appears to be a bad batch.

dang Rovster has been talking to me about this for months. At first I thought he was crazy...apparently not.

I have an unopened bottle with 5441 exp 9/16, my current one is running out. Should I still use until I can order another batch since its a new bottle?

BTW- Rovster I think I got that bottle from you when I had run out and you helped me out, LOL.

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Eddie, yeah that's one of the questionable batches. What you'll notice is when you open a new bottle it will read higher than you expect. It seems they start accurate but lose accuracy over time. My current batch is different and it is behaving in a similar fashion. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that your funk may somehow be related to this phenomenon.

I'm telling you, that unexplained funk I had several months ago that I recovered from the same corals are behaving in the same way. I think this problem has been around longer than just recently.

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention, if you call Hanna they will switch out that bottle for you.

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Eddie, yeah that's one of the questionable batches. What you'll notice is when you open a new bottle it will read higher than you expect. It seems they start accurate but lose accuracy over time. My current batch is different and it is behaving in a similar fashion. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that your funk may somehow be related to this phenomenon.

I'm telling you, that unexplained funk I had several months ago that I recovered from the same corals are behaving in the same way. I think this problem has been around longer than just recently.

Well if you recall that last funk was my defining point to switch to a calcium reactor, i was tired of adjusting 2 part up and down. Now im adjusting my CR with this thing. Wish me luck.

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you adjusting up and down was due to faulty testing equipment. That is the whole point of this thread I suppose. I definitely fell for it. A lot of my corals were resembling your turdcake. Funny thing is not all corals were affected, but some were VERY affected. The majority of your turdcake rehab happened before my issues if you are curious. Either way for your tank a reactor is the way to go.

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna is well aware of this issue with lot 5441.. They also are aware of an issue that if your reagent is not a dark green color, but is a light green/blueish, then you also have bad reagent.

DaveRaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The three different regents I tested this morning do not cause me too much concern. I think the Key is not to over react to any test result and adjust quickly, rather over time. In my case I am anywhere between 7.56 to 8.18.

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has Lot 5441 been opened and how much is used? Watch what happens as you use it… It goes from being close to then showing low. I got a new batch and its been solid. As a test I went back to lot 5441 to see and it was showing 112ppm vs the new lot showing 145ppm.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back