OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is printing right now using curality slicer on ender3 pro the bed is not big enough so i had to print it at 98% so i am hoping the testers still fit if not will have to figure something else out
The testers should but I didn't leave a ton of room for the cuvettes and syringes since those should be consistent from a mfg standpoint due to volume accuracy requirements. You could probably shrink it to 90% if you enlarged the internal holes etc by the same amount before shrinking in the slicer. That would require opening it up in fusion first of course

Last edited:

friskaburger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated information: How - To

Rob I just found this file on Thingiverse and was trying to figure out what you meant by being able to modify it for whichever tests you had, opened it up in Fusion 360 (to which I am a total noob) and was like well shoot I have no idea what's going on. Thanks so much for this video it explained everything so well!

I should note that not knowing what you meant isn't a dig at your description but my lack of knowledge in Fusion and 3D CAD in general.

I'm about to start printing one and I wanted to know if you had any tips for printing? I had initially wanted to print this in PETG, but I saw your description said PLA with no supports. As you know, PETG hates supports so if you're doing these without, then I might stand a chance! You having any issues with overhangs on those side holes? I just don't want to burn a ton of plastic on these if I don't have to :)

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob I just found this file on Thingiverse and was trying to figure out what you meant by being able to modify it for whichever tests you had, opened it up in Fusion 360 (to which I am a total noob) and was like well shoot I have no idea what's going on. Thanks so much for this video it explained everything so well!

I should note that not knowing what you meant isn't a dig at your description but my lack of knowledge in Fusion and 3D CAD in general.

I'm about to start printing one and I wanted to know if you had any tips for printing? I had initially wanted to print this in PETG, but I saw your description said PLA with no supports. As you know, PETG hates supports so if you're doing these without, then I might stand a chance! You having any issues with overhangs on those side holes? I just don't want to burn a ton of plastic on these if I don't have to :)
Thanks for the feedback,. Use PLA for the stand if you have it, it'll go so much nicer and the print quality is far better. The side holes need no supports, I use paint on supports for the threaded studs, they come off like a breeze. No need for supports anywhere besides the studs. More videos to come, hope you liked and subscribed :). Good luck with the print, reach out if you have any other questions.

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done Rob just saw this thread. Am surprised that nobody has opened up a 3D printing shop/chain yet.
I put things out there because I love the hobby and enjoy the community. I really hope somebody doesn't take these things and try to profit from other people's effort. I'd feel compelled to become rather unpleasant at that point lol.

friskaburger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put things out there because I love the hobby and enjoy the community. I really hope somebody doesn't take these things and try to profit from other people's effort. I'd feel compelled to become rather unpleasant at that point lol.
Agreed, not everything should be monetized. Appreciate your generosity! This hobby is expensive enough already.

friskaburger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback,. Use PLA for the stand if you have it, it'll go so much nicer and the print quality is far better. The side holes need no supports, I use paint on supports for the threaded studs, they come off like a breeze. No need for supports anywhere besides the studs. More videos to come, hope you liked and subscribed :). Good luck with the print, reach out if you have any other questions.
Ah yeah I was wondering about the cap threads. I gotta go find a good full spool of PLA and give it a go. Thanks!

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I printed it with no supports or anything was super easy to do

friskaburger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I printed it with no supports or anything was super easy to do
Went ahead and printed it with supports just under the threaded cap holds and that worked great! Printing another one for my buddy. It's crazy how much more efficient I feel with everything in one place! Thanks, testing workflow feels so much better now!

friskaburger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rob, real quick... is there a way to fully delete say the like custom text? I tried and couldn't figure out how to, I even just put in some spaces to blank it but it didn't seem to take that, what am I doing wrong?

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Very cool... I want one. Who can print one for me? I am definitely willing to pay/donate. :)

I would like white. Ca, alk, PO4 and minus the other text.

I really am sick of balancing all my test stuff on the tiny shelf next to my tank.
u still need one?

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rob, real quick... is there a way to fully delete say the like custom text? I tried and couldn't figure out how to, I even just put in some spaces to blank it but it didn't seem to take that, what am I doing wrong?
You can just suppress the extrusion for the text.

Thenakedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to say thanks! I added a honeycomb modifier so the vials will drain whilst upside down, but fantastic file and appreciate it that you offered it for free.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 10.07.09 AM.png

Hey all,

**Edit - all source files for this are freely available on Thingverse, search RobBzReef**

I've been itching to get into the 3d printing world as an outlet for enjoying creativity and solving problems. For my first project I choose to make a stand or caddy for my Hanna checkers. This can sit on a table top or be mounted to a wall, your choice!

There are essentially two versions:

v3 which is designed to store the cuvettes with the lids on and it is not compatible with either the alkalinity or the calcium test.

v5 which is designed to store the caps to the cuvettes on the side of the caddy to facilitate drying and it is compatible with the alkalinity and/or the calcium test.

Both versions hold a total of three testers, two cuvettes for each test, powder packets for each (around 20), a space for the destructions, (3) 5 ml syringes, (3) 10 ml syringes and a wall mount plate. Alk and CA compatible configurations also hold the 1 ml syringes and the 100 micro liter syringe for the Ca test.

Versions + configurations:
v3
1) 3 tests (no Alk or CA)
a) All text embossing is editable

v5
1) 3 tests (no Alk or CA)
2) Alk & CA + one other test
2a) this option requires the center powder packet slot to share with the 'other' test but it has been enlarged for this
3) Alk + two other tests
4) Ca + two other tests (not Alk)

All configs have easily editable embossing for you to customize.

Notes: The pads in the corners are to help with first layer adhesion, I simply cut them off with a razor after printing. This is only mandatory if you're going to mount it to a wall of course. In the source file I put the sketch for the text embossing at the assembly level so you don't have to drive into the component level. At the assembly level use the selection sets to simply turn the various configurations on and off. I used Fusion 360 to develop this. It's free to use and powerful.

The source files for this and a few example .stl files have been uploaded to Thingverse. Search for me (RobB'z Reef) and you should see it. 'Hanna' might return something too, I can't recall.

Please feel free to download this, modify it, print it for yourself or a friend, look at it and wish you had a printer or ignore it altogether! I do not condone or grant anyone permission to make this and sell it, especially if you're a business. It's intended for hobbiest use and not for profit making. If I catch you making and selling this, I will come find you.

Other than that I hope at least one person finds this useful. Enjoy!

Example photos:

PXL_20210901_144506626.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210901_144545808.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210901_144632259.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210901_144516448.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210901_161222735.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210901_144901511.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210901_161234608.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back