Hanna cuvettes are off!!

Reefergirl96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a 10ml syringe to accurately fill my cuvette for awhile with no problem. I recently bought new cuvettes from saltwateraquarium.com they came and they weren't the same as the old ones and fill past the 10ml line. I thought maybe I got some bad cuvettes so I ordered more from marinedepot.com they were the same they fill up past the 10ml line. So im not sure if I'm supposed to fill to the line or use a syringe to accurately fill 10 ml??
Here is a picture of my old cuvette (on the left) and new cuvette (on the right) both filled with the same 10ml syringe with 10ml of water:

20201016_143727.jpg

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a 10ml syringe to accurately fill my cuvette for awhile with no problem. I recently bought new cuvettes from saltwateraquarium.com they came and they weren't the same as the old ones and fill past the 10ml line. I thought maybe I got some bad cuvettes so I ordered more from marinedepot.com they were the same they fill up past the 10ml line. So im not sure if I'm supposed to fill to the line or use a syringe to accurately fill 10 ml??
Here is a picture of my old cuvette (on the left) and new cuvette (on the right) both filled with the same 10ml syringe with 10ml of water:

20201016_143727.jpg
This is already a known thing.
they are mass produced vials you can’t expect them to be super accurate.

use a syringe to actually get 10ml

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its already known then it should be something they fix. I never had a problem with my old ones they were always spot on so they are capable of making them accurate. They just messed these newer cuvettes up.
Yes your right they should fix that machine that they don’t own to make sure that the label isnt off 0.5-1mm off
giphy.gif

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes your right they should fix that machine that they don’t own to make sure that the label isnt off 0.5-1mm off
giphy.gif
Yes this is well known, and it also annoys me as you are paying top dollar for a precise piece of “measuring “ equipment and and their very own vials are out of spec. Do you work for Hanna and service their screen printing machine? ;Happy

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is well known, and it also annoys me as you are paying top dollar for a precise piece of “measuring “ equipment and and their very own vials are out of spec. Do you work for Hanna and service their screen printing machine? ;Happy
Lol no I’ve just been working with glass for over 15 years and understand what goes into mass producing anything glass.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also your paying them for their machine that does the testing, that’s the “precise measuring device” your referring to, not the glass vial that hold the water.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, that stuff isn’t screen printed. Just further proving that you don’t know what’s involved in making these.
All those labels are ceramic that get baked on in an oven

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its perfectly logical mate......ask Trump....if you have more water in the test tube it will lower your phosphates;)

Dont muck about with all that Lantium chlroride and Phosphate removers just increase the size of tour tube .......its a very very good idea and cheap!

Last edited:

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its perfectly logical mate......ask Trump....if you have more water in the test tube it will lower your phosphates;)

Dont muck about with all that Lantium chlroride and Phosphate removers just increase the size of tour tube .......its a very very good idea and cheap!
I asked Biden about the Hanna Nitrate checker. He said Trump is causing nitrates in our tanks because Trump hates fish. Biden’s plan for nitrates was much better, he said. We need to discuss nitrates in a committee, with a focus on reducing nitrates to a level deemed appropriate by the science through methods the science suggests. He said that he strongly endorses an ULN approach or one that is not ULN, and he will tell me which or both after the election. Kamala jumped in and said that Trump sucks because he creates nitrates, that Joe has been very clear about nitrates and levels and science about nitrates, and that sort of nitrate thing. She pointed out that Trump refuses to condemn nitrates. So, I called up Trump to ask him why he keeps refusing to condemn nitrates. Trump claimed that he doesn’t know why I am asking him this, because he has repeatedly condemned nitrates and then showed my his big beautiful tank, apparently the best tank ever built, an American tank. So I just don’t know what to do about nitrates now or who to believe.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked Biden about the Hanna Nitrate checker. He said Trump is causing nitrates in our tanks because Trump hates fish. Biden’s plan for nitrates was much better, he said. We need to discuss nitrates in a committee, with a focus on reducing nitrates to a level deemed appropriate by the science through methods the science suggests. He said that he strongly endorses an ULN approach or one that is not ULN, and he will tell me which or both after the election. Kamala jumped in and said that Trump sucks because he creates nitrates, that Joe has been very clear about nitrates and levels and science about nitrates, and that sort of nitrate thing. She pointed out that Trump refuses to condemn nitrates. So, I called up Trump to ask him why he keeps refusing to condemn nitrates. Trump claimed that he doesn’t know why I am asking him this, because he has repeatedly condemned nitrates and then showed my his big beautiful tank, apparently the best tank ever built, an American tank. So I just don’t know what to do about nitrates now or who to believe.
Don’t believe either one. But make sure you vote because it important to control nitrates In the USA, and drop it off early right in this drop box so your vote counts.
69B7E873-746C-4EB7-83E5-DEB724079B3B.jpeg

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im not sure if I'm supposed to fill to the line or use a syringe to accurately fill 10 ml??
I use a syringe to fill mine with 10ml. The tests were all developed and give results based on 10ml.

I agree with you. If they know they are unable to reliably place the 10ml line in the correct place, they should not put the line on the vial.

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always fill with a syringe and don’t pay attention to the lines. Quick question though. When you got the extra set of cuvettes, did they have plastic stoppers in they that were a pain to get out? I ended up breaking one trying to remove the stopper.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting observation of the OP photo, the meniscus of the left vial is at the 10ml line of the right vial and vice versa. Also the 10ml lines appear to be at different heights on the vials.

Are the 10ml lines different or is it just the angle of the photo and vial placement?

The water level difference could only be due to different amounts of liquid in each or the right vial has thicker glass.

I took a couple of my vials and the 10ml lines are nearly identical. The two on the right came with a checker and the two on the left came in the 25 vial maple syrup pack.

The two that came with a checker may have come with different checkers. Which could explain why those two have slightly different 10ml lines.

IMG_20201017_094511640.jpg

Back