Hanna HR nitrate sticky reagent ?

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody had issues with the Hanna hr nitrate checker powder reagent being really sticky and hard to get out the packet I’ve had the po4 ulr for ages and have it nailed to a tee this reagent seems very sticky

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some times with warmer, humid weather it’s more caked. I form the funnel and then tap the top of the packet before cutting which helps. I then use the part of the packet I cut off to rake any clumped reagent into the vial.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody had issues with the Hanna hr nitrate checker powder reagent being really sticky and hard to get out the packet I’ve had the po4 ulr for ages and have it nailed to a tee this reagent seems very sticky
YES! This is what I experience as well!

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some times with warmer, humid weather it’s more caked. I form the funnel and then tap the top of the packet before cutting which helps. I then use the part of the packet I cut off to rake any clumped reagent into the vial.

YES! This is what I experience as well!

mine just sticks to the sides even when tapping the sides of the reagent for a good amount of time the po4 powder is like salt and just slides out nice and easy this stuff I always have remaining reagent stuck to the side of the packet just concerning when my last salifert read 25 and Hanna is coming out at 5.6 although my last salifert test was a week ago :/

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll run another salifert tomorrow to compare and another Hanna just annoying how sticky the reagent is

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I've been using one almost daily as I'm dosing nitrate and mine is the same as the phosphate reagent and just dumps out. Temps are all over here but even when hot and humid it's the same. Are you allowing it to sit open for any period of time before adding it?

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I've been using one almost daily as I'm dosing nitrate and mine is the same as the phosphate reagent and just dumps out. Temps are all over here but even when hot and humid it's the same. Are you allowing it to sit open for any period of time before adding it?
Nope I’m using the ten reagents you get with the checker. I don’t leave open just use when testing.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nitrate and phosphate reagents are def different. The phosphate is granular like salt and just rolls out. The nitrate is like flour and does cake up a bit.
THIS!

These are my people! Noticing the details! :)

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, your absolutely right, comes out chunky instead powdery.
Good for you bringing that out.
I thought maybe just a bad batch, apparently not.
The first batch I got slipped in well.
Certainly a change for these new ones.
Other test kits not like that.
Works though…

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, your absolutely right, comes out chunky instead powdery.
Good for you bringing that out.
I thought maybe just a bad batch, apparently not.
The first batch I got slipped in well.
Certainly a change for these new ones.
Other test kits not like that.
Works though…

I think it’s obviously different reagents and therefore have a different consistency. Kinda like salsa. Regular and extra chunky.:)
Therefore I should trust Hanna even with the residue left behind in the packet ?

thanks for your input guys I’ll cross reference the Hanna with salifert tomorrow and post results it’s late here in the uk and I got to deal to with the iPhone 14 launch in the morning lol

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Therefore I should trust Hanna even with the residue left behind in the packet ?

thanks for your input guys I’ll cross reference the Hanna with salifert tomorrow and post results it’s late here in the uk and I got to deal to with the iPhone 14 launch in the morning lol
I’m a stickler so that’s why I use the piece of the packet I cut off to rake the residue into the vial, but it’s probably OK if you don’t.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do still trust it, my readings have not changed, but Hanna is always a bit higher than Salifert.
So my 12 Hanna is 5 on Salifert.
I seek only stability anyways so 5, 12, 15 don’t care much, provided they don’t rise or fall both daily and over time.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back