Hanna Magnesium Checker return status

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calcium test issues are likely because people don't use distilled water for part of the test and use rodi water. Most people don't seem to realize this, and thus I question how "inaccurate" their calcium checkers actually are.
Exactly the issue with calcium checker. Use distilled. It makes a difference for most folks

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a holding pattern on this one, I have 4 egg checkers and I love them but there is a lot of flack on this one and it seems to be a consistent thread.
I'm usually impulsive and I buy as the products are introduced but I held off on this one and am glad I did.

Hope it gets sorted out as I enjoy their products.
I got most of the checkers and yup, I should have waited.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calcium test issues are likely because people don't use distilled water for part of the test and use rodi water. Most people don't seem to realize this, and thus I question how "inaccurate" their calcium checkers actually are.
There two major problems here.
1. Inconsistent
2. Results are HIGH

If the checker is consistently high or low, we have a reference point but this is not the case.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it was crap. Just my experience though.
Too many steps, too small sample size lead to 380-520 ranges
I don’t think the checker itself is inaccurate, I found it hard to be consistent in preparing each test for this kit and for sure, this ends up in the flux.

Salifert has shown my CA remains fixed at 460ppm, AND, in less than a minute at half the price.

At the same time, the Hanna Alk, HR Nitrate, UL Phosphorus checkers have been both easy, consistent and accurate.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info. It should be accurate.
I’ll wait for version 2.
Thank you
Seems Salifert may be ahead on the MG and CA tests.

They got to be easy, few steps and reasonably accurate, otherwise just a toy.
Correct. Just ordered another salifert.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it was crap. Just my experience though.
Too many steps, too small sample size lead to 380-520 ranges
I don’t think the checker itself is inaccurate, I found it hard to be consistent in preparing each test for this kit and for sure, this ends up in the flux.

Salifert has shown my CA remains fixed at 460ppm, AND, in less than a minute at half the price.

At the same time, the Hanna Alk, HR Nitrate, UL Phosphorus checkers have been both easy, consistent and accurate.
Agreed. I was based on their reputation then buy the mag checker right away but I was wrong. I am still waiting for them to ship my checker back to collect dust for the time being.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got an update from the Hanna tech. He basically said that they found out it was the reagents fault and will be sending out new batch of reagents by filling out the forms floated around in the past days.

however, it’s looking at 6-8 weeks but at least some “good” news.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got an update from the Hanna tech. He basically said that they found out it was the reagents fault and will be sending out new batch of reagents by filling out the forms floated around in the past days.

however, it’s looking at 6-8 weeks but at least some “good” news.
Interesting that they flipped their position. It does sound like better news though.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
….and so fast. It was just a few days ago that they tested the unit and said it was fine. They must have already had the forms typed up for the reagent replacement, so why not just say so
I mean technically the unit was fine….could be the reagent they have in house is different from the stuff they sent out with the sold units. I’m just glad they manned up and said there was actually a problem with the product and are making it right instead of saying there’s nothing wrong yet doing a recall like other suspicious companies!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably don't need to bring this up but the resupply of the reagents is a bit reminiscent of the high range nitrate checker. Why would you Launch a highly anticipated product to only leave those loyal customers starving for reagents that are 6-8 weeks out. It appears that the supplier is blind prior complaints.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious if the extra reagent packs that were sold separately from the tester kits were bad as well? Usually when I buy a tester I buy extra reagents, fortunately this time my lfs only had the testers so I wasn’t tempted to get extra reagent as well.

wotis11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using their calcium checker since it was first released. I use Hanna’s distilled water with it and I always get consistent results. In fact when I was having trouble with my trident I did three test in a row with it and all three results only differed by a point or two

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I see, like the CA kit, all over the place.
Too bad, I was hoping this new addition to the line would be good.
The CA works good, I use their water and haven’t had a problem.

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from Hanna Instruments,

I am on the aquarium team, here to address the Magnesium Checker issue.

I am posting this same message on various threads regarding the Magnesium Checker so that as many people as possible get the information.

First, here is an FAQ with answers:

1) What happened?
As many of you know, Hanna Instruments prides itself in accuracy. We do extensive R&D before releasing products – what happened with the Magnesium Checker was a unique combination of unexpected factors. Our manufacturing facility is in Romania, and shipments from Eastern Europe were delayed in the Spring due to events in that area. With this, the initial batch of Magnesium products were in cargo storage for longer than anticipated. While the cargo containers sat for extended periods in the Spring, the temperature in the containers increased. This resulted in longer than usual exposure to higher than usual temperatures, which in turn caused one of the reagents to expire early. The products passed R&D inspection on site, and we’ve never had them degrade in transit before, which is why we were surprised about the issue at first. And why we are grateful that users like yourselves reported it!

2) What did Hanna do to fix the products?
The issue was one reagent expiring early during extended high-temperature exposure in the cargo containers. To fix this, we were able to greatly improve the temperature stability of this reagent by reformulating it from a liquid to a powder. This means that Reagent B is now a powder for this product. Our other Checkers have a timer built in for the dissolution of the powder reagent, so we added that to the new Magnesium Checkers too. That is the only difference in devices, but because of that, we are sending everyone who purchased the initial version a new Checker with the timer built in!

3) Why has it taken so long?
Resolving this issue took several steps. First we had to reformulate Reagent B into a powder. Then we had to add the timer into the production process for the Checkers. Once those updates were made, we had to repackage all the previously produced items with the updated ones. And of course, we had to figure out the logistics of replacing these items both for customers such as yourselves, and bulk purchasers like LFSs and major websites. We also found new transport options to avoid extended international shipping delays in the future.

4) How is Hanna going to make this right for the people who already purchased?
We will send everyone who fills out this form: HI783 Marine Checker Reagent Issue Form free replacements for whatever Magnesium items (Checker and/or Extra Reagent Packages) were purchased. Please fill out all fields!

5) How do I know if I am in queue for the replacements after submitting the above form?
I receive all the form submissions. My apologies that there is not a confirmation, but once you hit submit I do receive it. We are on track to have all current form submissions fulfilled by the end of October, and new submissions as soon as possible thereafter.

Please see our official customer letter below for more details:

1664901872866.png

These Magnesium items will be available again from your LFS and online sources soon.
Thank you for your patience as we have resolved this issue!

All the Best,
Hanna Instruments

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from Hanna Instruments,

I am on the aquarium team, here to address the Magnesium Checker issue.

I am posting this same message on various threads regarding the Magnesium Checker so that as many people as possible get the information.

First, here is an FAQ with answers:

1) What happened?
As many of you know, Hanna Instruments prides itself in accuracy. We do extensive R&D before releasing products – what happened with the Magnesium Checker was a unique combination of unexpected factors. Our manufacturing facility is in Romania, and shipments from Eastern Europe were delayed in the Spring due to events in that area. With this, the initial batch of Magnesium products were in cargo storage for longer than anticipated. While the cargo containers sat for extended periods in the Spring, the temperature in the containers increased. This resulted in longer than usual exposure to higher than usual temperatures, which in turn caused one of the reagents to expire early. The products passed R&D inspection on site, and we’ve never had them degrade in transit before, which is why we were surprised about the issue at first. And why we are grateful that users like yourselves reported it!

2) What did Hanna do to fix the products?
The issue was one reagent expiring early during extended high-temperature exposure in the cargo containers. To fix this, we were able to greatly improve the temperature stability of this reagent by reformulating it from a liquid to a powder. This means that Reagent B is now a powder for this product. Our other Checkers have a timer built in for the dissolution of the powder reagent, so we added that to the new Magnesium Checkers too. That is the only difference in devices, but because of that, we are sending everyone who purchased the initial version a new Checker with the timer built in!

3) Why has it taken so long?
Resolving this issue took several steps. First we had to reformulate Reagent B into a powder. Then we had to add the timer into the production process for the Checkers. Once those updates were made, we had to repackage all the previously produced items with the updated ones. And of course, we had to figure out the logistics of replacing these items both for customers such as yourselves, and bulk purchasers like LFSs and major websites. We also found new transport options to avoid extended international shipping delays in the future.

4) How is Hanna going to make this right for the people who already purchased?
We will send everyone who fills out this form: HI783 Marine Checker Reagent Issue Form free replacements for whatever Magnesium items (Checker and/or Extra Reagent Packages) were purchased. Please fill out all fields!

5) How do I know if I am in queue for the replacements after submitting the above form?
I receive all the form submissions. My apologies that there is not a confirmation, but once you hit submit I do receive it. We are on track to have all current form submissions fulfilled by the end of October, and new submissions as soon as possible thereafter.

Please see our official customer letter below for more details:

1664901872866.png

These Magnesium items will be available again from your LFS and online sources soon.
Thank you for your patience as we have resolved this issue!

All the Best,
Hanna Instruments

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally used the replacement magnesium checker. It was still higher than salifert but it’s got more consistent

salifert 1390
Hanna 1515 (first run)
Hanna 1440 (second run)

just want to see if others are having the same results.

Attachments

• E22FD757-75E0-4624-9FD9-A8B10DB76768.jpeg
    E22FD757-75E0-4624-9FD9-A8B10DB76768.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 8CDC4E16-FC5D-4B45-A3BB-CC5AE256E4F8.jpeg
    8CDC4E16-FC5D-4B45-A3BB-CC5AE256E4F8.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 19

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally used the replacement magnesium checker. It was still higher than salifert but it’s got more consistent

salifert 1390
Hanna 1515 (first run)
Hanna 1440 (second run)

just want to see if others are having the same results.
I received this email just this morning stating that they cross checked their new reagents against Salifert specifically and that they were "right in line with the Salifert kit".
Screenshot_20221018-205732_Gmail.jpg

Keep us posted. 50-125ppm may be within the error tolerances. Better than 300ppm high.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back