Hanna Marine Magnesium Checker HI783 Problems/Issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Are you experiencing issues with your Marine Magnesium Checker (HI783)?

• Yes - Describe Below

Votes: 31 88.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping they provide more information on the new checker they are sending out. People trying to buy one used may have to be extra careful to make sure they aren’t getting a recalled version.
Oh I’m sure there will be those ******s out there trying to con someone and sell them the old ones!

Dmarcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, finally I received the checker today. I placed an order on 30th June directly from Hanna Australia and was advised that it may takes 6-8 weeks to arrived, however I finally received it after 3 months. I noticed that it comes with one powder and one liquid reagent, instead of 2 liquid bottles. I always use salifert for magnesium and havent try Hanna for this. Hope this works as expected :)

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

img_2797-jpg.2845750

Attachments

• IMG_2797.jpg
    IMG_2797.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 365

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, finally I received the checker today. I placed an order on 30th June directly from Hanna Australia and was advised that it may takes 6-8 weeks to arrived, however I finally received it after 3 months. I noticed that it comes with one powder and one liquid reagent, instead of 2 liquid bottles. I always use salifert for magnesium and havent try Hanna for this. Hope this works as expected :)

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

img_2797-jpg.2845750
Have you tested it out?

MikeIkerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is baffling seeing how so many people don’t know how to use a pipette tip and think this is the reason for inaccuracy. Ask any scientist to use a pipette without a tip on it and they will look at you like you have no clue what you are saying.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is baffling seeing how so many people don’t know how to use a pipette tip and think this is the reason for inaccuracy. Ask any scientist to use a pipette without a tip on it and they will look at you like you have no clue what you are saying.
Except it wasn’t a pippette, it’s a syringe that leaks air around the tip and the drawing tip so you get air as well and not the correct amount of reagent. Many videos online showed the drawing tip completely falling off inside the reagent bottle!

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So intital advertisement was no powder solution, now you saying we have to use powder? Lol

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from Hanna Instruments,

I am on the aquarium team, here to address the Magnesium Checker issue.

I am posting this same message on various threads regarding the Magnesium Checker so that as many people as possible get the information.

First, here is an FAQ with answers:

1) What happened?
As many of you know, Hanna Instruments prides itself in accuracy. We do extensive R&D before releasing products – what happened with the Magnesium Checker was a unique combination of unexpected factors. Our manufacturing facility is in Romania, and shipments from Eastern Europe were delayed in the Spring due to events in that area. With this, the initial batch of Magnesium products were in cargo storage for longer than anticipated. While the cargo containers sat for extended periods in the Spring, the temperature in the containers increased. This resulted in longer than usual exposure to higher than usual temperatures, which in turn caused one of the reagents to expire early. The products passed R&D inspection on site, and we’ve never had them degrade in transit before, which is why we were surprised about the issue at first. And why we are grateful that users like yourselves reported it!

2) What did Hanna do to fix the products?
The issue was one reagent expiring early during extended high-temperature exposure in the cargo containers. To fix this, we were able to greatly improve the temperature stability of this reagent by reformulating it from a liquid to a powder. This means that Reagent B is now a powder for this product. Our other Checkers have a timer built in for the dissolution of the powder reagent, so we added that to the new Magnesium Checkers too. That is the only difference in devices, but because of that, we are sending everyone who purchased the initial version a new Checker with the timer built in!

3) Why has it taken so long?
Resolving this issue took several steps. First we had to reformulate Reagent B into a powder. Then we had to add the timer into the production process for the Checkers. Once those updates were made, we had to repackage all the previously produced items with the updated ones. And of course, we had to figure out the logistics of replacing these items both for customers such as yourselves, and bulk purchasers like LFSs and major websites. We also found new transport options to avoid extended international shipping delays in the future.

4) How is Hanna going to make this right for the people who already purchased?
We will send everyone who fills out this form: HI783 Marine Checker Reagent Issue Form free replacements for whatever Magnesium items (Checker and/or Extra Reagent Packages) were purchased. Please fill out all fields!

5) How do I know if I am in queue for the replacements after submitting the above form?
I receive all the form submissions. My apologies that there is not a confirmation, but once you hit submit I do receive it. We are on track to have all current form submissions fulfilled by the end of October, and new submissions as soon as possible thereafter.

Please see our official customer letter below for more details:

1664901872866.png

These Magnesium items will be available again from your LFS and online sources soon.
Thank you for your patience as we have resolved this issue!

All the Best,
Hanna Instruments

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from Hanna Instruments,

I am on the aquarium team, here to address the Magnesium Checker issue.

I am posting this same message on various threads regarding the Magnesium Checker so that as many people as possible get the information.

First, here is an FAQ with answers:

1) What happened?
As many of you know, Hanna Instruments prides itself in accuracy. We do extensive R&D before releasing products – what happened with the Magnesium Checker was a unique combination of unexpected factors. Our manufacturing facility is in Romania, and shipments from Eastern Europe were delayed in the Spring due to events in that area. With this, the initial batch of Magnesium products were in cargo storage for longer than anticipated. While the cargo containers sat for extended periods in the Spring, the temperature in the containers increased. This resulted in longer than usual exposure to higher than usual temperatures, which in turn caused one of the reagents to expire early. The products passed R&D inspection on site, and we’ve never had them degrade in transit before, which is why we were surprised about the issue at first. And why we are grateful that users like yourselves reported it!

2) What did Hanna do to fix the products?
The issue was one reagent expiring early during extended high-temperature exposure in the cargo containers. To fix this, we were able to greatly improve the temperature stability of this reagent by reformulating it from a liquid to a powder. This means that Reagent B is now a powder for this product. Our other Checkers have a timer built in for the dissolution of the powder reagent, so we added that to the new Magnesium Checkers too. That is the only difference in devices, but because of that, we are sending everyone who purchased the initial version a new Checker with the timer built in!

3) Why has it taken so long?
Resolving this issue took several steps. First we had to reformulate Reagent B into a powder. Then we had to add the timer into the production process for the Checkers. Once those updates were made, we had to repackage all the previously produced items with the updated ones. And of course, we had to figure out the logistics of replacing these items both for customers such as yourselves, and bulk purchasers like LFSs and major websites. We also found new transport options to avoid extended international shipping delays in the future.

4) How is Hanna going to make this right for the people who already purchased?
We will send everyone who fills out this form: HI783 Marine Checker Reagent Issue Form free replacements for whatever Magnesium items (Checker and/or Extra Reagent Packages) were purchased. Please fill out all fields!

5) How do I know if I am in queue for the replacements after submitting the above form?
I receive all the form submissions. My apologies that there is not a confirmation, but once you hit submit I do receive it. We are on track to have all current form submissions fulfilled by the end of October, and new submissions as soon as possible thereafter.

Please see our official customer letter below for more details:

1664901872866.png

These Magnesium items will be available again from your LFS and online sources soon.
Thank you for your patience as we have resolved this issue!

All the Best,
Hanna Instruments
Kudos for the great update and for taking ownership of the issues! Says a lot about the company and I look forward to getting my hands on the revamped checker!

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IIRC my reagent B smelled horrible, in that case I'm glad they changed it.

Viet658

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the new reagents and getting better numbers. Seems like the older checker works with the new reagents as well just have to set a manual timer for 3 minutes. Left is old checker and right is the replacement checker.

Attachments

• 0D0A3EC9-0221-40DF-9EBF-78D6EA6E0D23.jpeg
    0D0A3EC9-0221-40DF-9EBF-78D6EA6E0D23.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 37

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back