Hanna ULR Questions

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Hanna ULR Phosphate checker for a while now. I had a couple questions:

1) It is almost impossible to get all the dust from a packet into the vial. Does the amount of dust affect the measurement? Or as long as I get enough in, will the reading be the same?

2) It comes with 2 vials. If I mix a packet into 1 vial and fat finger the meter, I fill the 2nd vial and zero the meter as if I were testing it, but then test the first vial, so I don't waste a packet. Any idea how accurate this is?

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Hanna ULR Phosphate checker for a while now. I had a couple questions:

1) It is almost impossible to get all the dust from a packet into the vial. Does the amount of dust affect the measurement? Or as long as I get enough in, will the reading be the same?

2) It comes with 2 vials. If I mix a packet into 1 vial and fat finger the meter, I fill the 2nd vial and zero the meter as if I were testing it, but then test the first vial, so I don't waste a packet. Any idea how accurate this is?
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hanna-phosphorus-checker.336206/page-5#post-4224627
Post #93

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I pour all the powder out of the packet onto a square piece of wax paper (before I begin the test) and only use 1 vial.

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one too and I figure as long as I'm not doing lab grade testing, I'm close enough. The time-out on the meter is a bit of a PIA though. I've wasted more than one test because I didn't get the vial into the checker quick enough. I don't understand why they can't supply liquid tests, but then I'm not chemist. Of course, it does mean they get to sell dolts like me MORE test powder.:rolleyes:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one too and I figure as long as I'm not doing lab grade testing, I'm close enough. The time-out on the meter is a bit of a PIA though. I've wasted more than one test because I didn't get the vial into the checker quick enough. I don't understand why they can't supply liquid tests, but then I'm not chemist. Of course, it does mean they get to sell dolts like me MORE test powder.:rolleyes:
The time-out on the meter :confused: is why I went with wax paper.

@MrMichael
Passed the wax paper (trick) onto myself and the powder just slides right into the vial :)

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The time-out on the meter :confused: is why I went with wax paper.

It's not so much getting all the powder into the vial as it is letting the vial sit too long to make sure the microbubbles clear. They WILL alter your test results per the Hanna website. But I'll def try the wax paper trick. Thanx.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since were talking about the ULR checker.
I used to preform the math conversion formula until I found this. The only difference is that the last decimal point has been rounded up.

Screenshot (26).png

Here's the link if anybody wants to bookmark it to their browser.
http://www.pny.se/aquarium/

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the formula in case you wanted to know.

ppb x 3.066 / 1000 = ppm
Quoted for, WRITE IT DOWN. KEEP IT SECRET. KEEP IT SAFE. 1 internet for the person who knows the movie reference.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back