Happy New Year, I'm New

doitbigreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year fellow beings. I have no clue what I'm doing here. Just going with the flow of whatever this hobby throws at me, learning new things.

Equipment:
Red Sea Max E-170, intank media basket, IceCap 2K gyre flow pump, Tunze 3155 ATO, 5 gallon Innovative Marine reservoir, 200W Titanium Aquarium Heater System, red sea marine care test kit, Hammerhead glass float cleaner thing,

Media: (I think this stuff is considered media, lol)
Dry rock, MicroBacter CLEAN, MicroBacter7, 25lbs Pink fiji sand, rowaphos, chemi-pure blue, carbon, 90g Gems Ceramic Media, filter floss

Animals:
I got into this hobby about 3 months ago, starting out with a Red Sea Max E-170. Did a month of cycling and then probably threw too many fish in. I have 6 blue-green chromis, 2 clown fish, 1 angel, 1 royal gramma, and a yellow watchman goby. For cleaners I have a few turbos and trochus snails, 1 cleaner shrimp, and a hand full of hermits, oh and 1 emeral crab.

Recently:
I added my first coral green star polyp (gsp), it was dying and now seems to have gotten itself together and is starting to grow again. And I added Algae Barn corraline pink and purple algae in a bottle.

As you can now tell, I have no clue what I'm doing. lol. How long did it take you all to learn this hobby??

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

E5A71CF2-8822-44B1-A3E7-5A89B29C7B9F.gif

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! It all depends on what your aspirations are, if SPS is your goal I would expect it to take around a year for the tank to get established. This hobby is rewarding and can absolutely drive you nuts. My advice is to buy equipment that is the best what you can afford only once, change one thing at a time slowly, try to quarantine your fish or at least buy pre quarantined at a minimum, get into a habit of testing weekly along with husbandry and all will go well. This hobby I feel is not for laziness, it always catches up to you.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun.. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back