hardest fish to keep in the home aquarium that you currently have

NotTheFace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cryptic Wrasse - it's not difficult to keep, it eats well and it comes out to see what the clowns and tailspot blenny are doing, but it gets weird problems every now and then. It has had pop eye twice and right now it has what looks like a bruise on it's back. With pop eye it healed on it's own after about two days (of me freaking out about it). We'll see what happens with the bruise, I think it may be scrapeing on something. It swims around the caves in my live rock.

THE BEAUT

Luv Golf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a very dif fish to keep, see how many others post they have kept this fish for long periods of time. I thought the thread said the most dif fish you own. my bad i will remove my post.

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a very dif fish to keep, see how many others post they have kept this fish for long periods of time. I thought the thread said the most dif fish you own. my bad i will remove my post.

Hard wrasse to keep for sure. Your post is in the right area.

fishytyme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was thinking the same thing. I feel like i have decent fow but just not enough for him. I am currently looking to upgrade my pumps before i get him/her (achilles) again.

Do you have a ton of flow in your tank? From what I know, they need a lot of flow in the tank to do well. I've had one for over a year now, doing fine.

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The achilles is the hardest fish in my tank right now I guess. I heard of many folks having trouble keeping one alive. I have had mines for about 8 months now. I got it from a fellow reefer that had it for about a year. It is doing great in my system. It eats any and everything I feed it. I have found that a slow and long drip acclimation is the best way to acclimate Tangs for highest survival and less stress to the fish. All my tangs were acclimated for 4 hrs before putting them into my system. Here are some pics of him.

IMG_3626.jpg

IMG_3624.jpg

IMG_3623.jpg

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good looking achilles man. My achilles is a bit of a mixed blessing. He is a gorgeous healthy fish that I have had since before he even had an orange spot, but he is a mean sob :). Punks my sohal all of the time

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acilles and Clown tangs fall into the same category, they often don't live, but once they do you'll sometimes wish they didn't because of how mean they can be.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops, forgot something... I'm struggling right now with my Rainford's goby, this has always beena tricky fish and always will be. I've had some success with them in the past where they live for years and have also seen my fair share waste away. I've been around hundreds of them throughout the years and have yet to see one actually eat prepared foods. IME in order to keep one longterm they need to be in fairly "dirty" aquarium with a good amount of detritus and tiny critters to pick at. I thought my current tank would suffice because of the large sandbed area and thriving copepod population, but I'm sadly watching him slowly starve.

OP
OP
acanman

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump this thread its interesting to here everybodys answers..

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses = just keeping them from jumping is a challenge. EVEN with full screens on the tank I still manage to loose a few every couple months.

OP
OP
acanman

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses = just keeping them from jumping is a challenge. EVEN with full screens on the tank I still manage to loose a few every couple months.
ive got a yellow and a tusk and no problem with jumping.yet...:crossedlips: and my tanks dont have a top..

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive got a yellow and a tusk and no problem with jumping.yet...:crossedlips: and my tanks dont have a top..

I guess I should have included - Fairy, Flasher, leopards, ect. - the typical jumpers.

OP
OP
acanman

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have we forgotten the fabled Copperband Butterflyfish? Had my second one a week now and at least he is eating live blackworms.

cbb5.jpg

cbb7.jpg
thats awesome.. cant believe its still alive.. i tried to keep 1 and it died in like a week.. maybe buy some live brine too feed it also.. is your tank have alot of pods?

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Regal Angelfish for about a year. My tangs got ich while I was on vacation, and the angel got it real bad. By the time I got back from vacation, it was too late to do anything for the poor guy. I'd love to have another one, but don't have a tank big enough to accomodate him now.

nivram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me its been the orange / red spotted blenny. The last two seemed to starve to death despite seeing them eat and graze on the rocks and wall.

nivram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a fish pic. I guess the proxy server wont let me edit my post.

IMG_5927.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back