Harmful to my Zoa? Critter ID

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just woke up this morning and got ready to do my daily zoa growth picture and I found these little guys on one of my frags. Should I be concerned, my zoas don't seem to be closing at all. They're white and have very small antennas from what I can see.
Critter ID.png

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No picture if video fyi.

Maybe a pod or spiniod worm or possibly a zoa eating nudi.
But others will need picture or a good description to be able to id

OP
OP
DAWREEFER

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No picture if video fyi.

Maybe a pod or spiniod worm or possibly a zoa eating nudi.
But others will need picture or a good description to be able to id
Might need to refresh the page. There is a picture that I added after the initial post

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might need to refresh the page. There is a picture that I added after the initial post
Hard to tell from pic, but possibly gammarid amphipod. Give that a quick look on google and compare images there to what you are seeing.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they beneficial or harmful?
They make tasty snacks for fish, eat micro algae and detritus. They can annoy zoas if they get over populated, but I have never seen then damage any. Just walk on them and annoy them. Their population is usually regulated by food supply and predation.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm hard to see, picture little bleary sorry.
But the bottom ine looks like a spionid worm but could be an ampripod

Pods most see as beneficial micro members

OP
OP
DAWREEFER

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make tasty snacks for fish, eat micro algae and detritus. They can annoy zoas if they get over populated, but I have never seen then damage any. Just walk on them and annoy them. Their population is usually regulated by food supply and predation.
I definitely think they're gammarid amphipods, I have two clowns, 2 dot blenny, and a mandarin dragonet, but he's pretty small. I have a 20g long so I don't think I'll be adding any more fish. I also have a few snails and an arrow crab. Do you think any of these will eat them?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely think they're gammarid amphipods, I have two clowns, 2 dot blenny, and a mandarin dragonet, but he's pretty small. I have a 20g long so I don't think I'll be adding any more fish. I also have a few snails and an arrow crab. Do you think any of these will eat them?
Clowns may from time to time, and same for the blenny. They are too big for most mandarins. They eat smaller pods like copepods. In addition, unless you have a captive bred mandarin, a 20 long is not much of a breeding ground for smaller copepods. With that said, you may need to supplement the tank with copepods for the mandarin. They are eating machines and can decimate a pod population very quickly.

Just watch the mandarin for how much girth it has and make sure that is belly stays a tad puffy. If it doesnt and the fish doesnt have noticeable "filets", then you will need to supplement its food by adding pods. Provided it is not captive bred and eats frozen/pellets.

OP
OP
DAWREEFER

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns may from time to time, and same for the blenny. They are too big for most mandarins. They eat smaller pods like copepods. In addition, unless you have a captive bred mandarin, a 20 long is not much of a breeding ground for smaller copepods. With that said, you may need to supplement the tank with copepods for the mandarin. They are eating machines and can decimate a pod population very quickly.

Just watch the mandarin for how much girth it has and make sure that is belly stays a tad puffy. If it doesnt and the fish doesnt have noticeable "filets", then you will need to supplement its food by adding pods. Provided it is not captive bred and eats frozen/pellets.
Yeah, I dose the tank with pods and put phyto in daily to feed them :) I did my research before getting the fish and it was the last fish I added, so whatever pods were in there from the liverock/overtime I've been adding to them

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not a copepod could be some type of amphipod but no worries either way they won't much on zoas annoy yes eat no .

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back