Harq tusk laying on floor

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I got a harq tusk a week ago and its laying on the floor, breathing heavy.
Info:
Using Api kits:
have done a 50% wc since these readings
-ammonia was .25 when checked, now between 0 and .25
-nitrite was .25, now between 0 and .
nitrate was 10, now 5
-temp is 78
-salinity is 1.021 - some fish in shared tank (where i bought) seemed to have ich, was keeping this lower until he ate good until deciding in treatment. Did dose a lil prazi, but more info on the precious fish that was in here.

A month before the harq, I had a lionfish qted in the same tank, treated with prazi and metro. I've left the tank running since he moved to the main tank, since the sponge filter had bacteria. Also had excess chaeto pulled from sump thrown in the qt. Once I saw the tusk at the store, I went and cleaned the pvc fittings since it had gha growing on em with vinegar, and cleaned the rest of the tank, the sponge filter is the same and the cheato is still there.

I went to check on him this afternoon to see it laying on the floor, breathing heavy. He wouldn't eat much before this and figured he was aclimating and decided to not treat him until he started to eat well.

Since the wc, he is now tucking himself between the floor and cheato ball. Still breathkng heavy.

Last edited:

Aari007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have one until it died mysteriously. Wait for a little bit as it is most likely getting acclimated as you said. Mine loved to take a piece of shrimp and just swim into his cave with it. Good luck!

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have one until it died mysteriously. Wait for a little bit as it is most likely getting acclimated as you said. Mine loved to take a piece of shrimp and just swim into his cave with it. Good luck!
I'm worried since it looked like it was about to die when checking on it, even though there was ammonia and nitrites present, it was low enough where it shouldnr be killing it.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequins are shy fish but labored breathing is not a good sign. I would not treat until eating unless you see spots on the body, but perhaps makes sense to do water changes and make sure to have good flow.

Aari007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequins are shy fish but labored breathing is not a good sign. I would not treat until eating unless you see spots on the body, but perhaps makes sense to do water changes and make sure to have good flow.

+1
Is it an Australian or an Indonesian?

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't seen any but still to early to tell.
+1
Is it an Australian or an Indonesian?

No clue, guessing indo from pictures, he was just labled as a harq tusk.

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used any chemicals nearby, such as anti perspirant, deodorant, laundry or washing chemicals, anything at all like that, soap on hands or washing up liquid on hands after washing up, anything at all like that is dangerous to fish.
Not saying that's what the problem is but its an option to investigate and think about.
Good luck with it, hope it pulls through.

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used any chemicals nearby, such as anti perspirant, deodorant, laundry or washing chemicals, anything at all like that, soap on hands or washing up liquid on hands after washing up, anything at all like that is dangerous to fish.
Not saying that's what the problem is but its an option to investigate and think about.
Good luck with it, hope it pulls through.
It's possible something got in the water, we do have a ait freshener roughly 10 ft from the tank, but its sprays in a different direction. Should I just do a 100% change just incase or would the sponge and chaeto have to get thrown aswell?

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is something in the water then I would change everything, water, sponge, chaeto, the lot just to be on the safe side.
If I am honest I fear it could be too late but I would mix up a fresh batch of water in a salt bucket or other vessel, throw in a heater and small powerhead and put the fish in that and keep an eye on ammonia levels and use water changes and Amguard or similar to keep ammonia in check

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT tanks can be funny. I have had similar experience with larger fish while my small one were doing well. All that ammonia triggers a large bacterial bloom that consumes the O2 very quickly. I have seen this happen in my QT system with an airstone in the tank. I know it wasn't the ammonia as hyrdosulfite was binding it and it never crossed over to a lethal level. A quick tank change fixed the problem.

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is something in the water then I would change everything, water, sponge, chaeto, the lot just to be on the safe side.
If I am honest I fear it could be too late but I would mix up a fresh batch of water in a salt bucket or other vessel, throw in a heater and small powerhead and put the fish in that and keep an eye on ammonia levels and use water changes and Amguard or similar to keep ammonia in check
QT tanks can be funny. I have had similar experience with larger fish while my small one were doing well. All that ammonia triggers a large bacterial bloom that consumes the O2 very quickly. I have seen this happen in my QT system with an airstone in the tank. I know it wasn't the ammonia as hyrdosulfite was binding it and it never crossed over to a lethal level. A quick tank change fixed the problem.
I'll put him in my bucket with a powerhead from my main tank in the meantime. I need to leave amd wont be back until night so hopefully he is still ok until then.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible something got in the water, we do have a ait freshener roughly 10 ft from the tank, but its sprays in a different direction. Should I just do a 100% change just incase or would the sponge and chaeto have to get thrown aswell?
Those are oil based, that’s a big no no for fish tanks, especially reef tanks.

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we do have a ait freshener roughly 10 ft from the tank, but its sprays in a different direction
If you can smell it then that means it is airborn and will definitely get into the tank.
I don't use anything like that at all downstairs in any room, let alone the room with fish tanks in it.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can smell it then that means it is airborn and will definitely get into the tank.
I don't use anything like that at all downstairs in any room, let alone the room with fish tanks in it.
Lol I word for word tell my wife that a few times a week. It’s so important though.

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshener is ina diffetent room, but they are connected, it might be that it spread over. I dont smell it but still could be it .
It may or may not be the cause, but my advice is do not have any air fresheners in rooms on the same floor level as rooms with fish tanks in.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi depletes O2 from the water how are you aerating this tank?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back