Has any one had experience with Niger triggers or any triggerfish

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon with a scopas tang and a Niger trigger. I had a clownfish and a damsel in it but the trigger ate them. The trigger is only 4-5 inches long. I’m thinking of taking him back to my lfs but I don’t won’t to because he’s my favorite fish I e owned. But I also want a tank full of fish. I’ve seen people with bigger Niger triggers get along with all their tank mates. Does anyone have any advice to stop aggression or should I just give him back to my lfs.
Btw the trigger and tang aren’t going to be in the 75 there whole life

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trigger may need to be in a dedicated predator tank with other similar fish that can defend themselves.

You may be able to curtail his aggression by feeding him high quality meaty food more often. But he is a predator by nature. He is just following his instincts.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a Niger in my 55. He can be a little bossy, but I feed the tank very well, several times a day.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thats wierd as i have a 3+" niger and it cares about no one in tank. Keeping them fed is key. You may have to isolate it in an acclimation box or sump for a couple of weeks and rearrange scape so it occupies itself with new environment

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trigger may need to be in a dedicated predator tank with other similar fish that can defend themselves.

You may be able to curtail his aggression by feeding him high quality meaty food more often. But he is a predator by nature. He is just following his instincts.
I feed him brine shrimp a lot. He also eats the seaweed I give to the tang and the occasional flakes but mostly brine. That makes sense thank you

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats wierd as i have a 3+" niger and it cares about no one in tank. Keeping them fed is key. You may have to isolate it in an acclimation box or sump for a couple of weeks and rearrange scape so it occupies itself with new environment
Really your lucky. I feed him quite a lot. I can maybe try an isolation box.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I feed him brine shrimp a lot. He also eats the seaweed I give to the tang and the occasional flakes but mostly brine. That makes sense thank you
I would go with something meatier! Brine shrimp are good snacks, but not enough nutrition to sustain a trigger.
I make my own food of shrimp, scallops, silversides, nori, brine shrimp and garlic.
If you don't make your own, go with a high quality, high protein pellet food.

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with something meatier! Brine shrimp are good snacks, but not enough nutrition to sustain a trigger.
I make my own food of shrimp, scallops, silversides, nori, brine shrimp and garlic.
If you don't make your own, go with a high quality, high protein pellet food.
Would krill be good ?

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Nice. I feed him a lot as well. What else is in the tank?
I also have a pair of clowns, watchman goby & curly cue snapping shrimp pair, coral beauty, and spotted hawk. and a whole variety of coral.

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a pair of clowns, watchman goby & curly cue snapping shrimp pair, coral beauty, and spotted hawk. and a whole variety of coral.
Wow that’s awesome, your lucky he doesn’t attack your fish. At least mine doesn’t bother my coral

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Would krill be good ?
Krill is good. However, they need variety of high protein meaty foods along with the other things.
Triggers become predatory if they aren't satisfied with the foods they are given and will prey on whatever else they can. Snails and crabs included

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Wow that’s awesome, your lucky he doesn’t attack your fish. At least mine doesn’t bother my coral
I feed them all enough that everyone leaves each other alone.

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Krill is good. However, they need variety of high protein meaty foods along with the other things.
Triggers become predatory if they aren't satisfied with the foods they are given and will prey on whatever else they can. Snails and crabs included
Ok thanks I will have to get some. I don’t have any inverts so that’s good

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ok thanks I will have to get some. I don’t have any inverts so that’s good
I use regular, frozen, raw table shrimp.
I buy all the fish I use in my "fish food" at my grocery store. When it comes to homemade foods I make for my whole little suburban zoo, I don't use any ingredients (except silversides) that I wouldn't eat, myself. I buy them with the intent to feed myself and my kids, but will use them to feed my animals as well.

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a mixture of brine,mysis,nori, and flakes be good ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back