Has anyone eaten a Aquarium fish?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone been traveling and actually eaten any of the fish we keep, as in Hawaii or somewhere? Lion fish? et
Just wondering what yellow tang taste like, it looks like it might make nice samiches
I did see a picture of crocea and giant clams for sale as food, so it would figure the people in the tropics eat some of the fish regularly

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what yellow tang taste like, it looks like it might make nice samiches
2D488D48-D4E1-4725-98B0-E3037B676376.gif

wtac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my travels in the 90's I've eaten various butterflyfish, fusilliers, large Acanathurus tangs, angelfish, squirrelfish, discus, cichlids.

I generally don't eat fish other than fish&chips but when there isnt anything else to eat for a main protein source...when in Rome...

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone been traveling and actually eaten any of the fish we keep, as in Hawaii or somewhere? Lion fish? et
I did see a picture of crocea and giant clams for sale as food, so it would figure the people in the tropics eat some of the fish regularly

I think lionfish might be the most common. In Florida, where they're an invasive species, many restaurants offer lionfish on the menu and some places even offer to cook wild-caught lionfish for a discount with an order of side dishes. I've had it before and tastes like other good fish.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen people eat aquarium fish on the show Survivor. I believe one time they ate a regal Angel and I cringed.

When I worked at my LFS we would occasionally order sushi and you can only imagine the corny jokes we would hear from customers lol
There used to be a lfs around me that was just a small reef shop. The owner wasn't able to sustain the business as just a reef shop, so he also made it into a sushi restaurant as well. The thought of going into a restaurant to buy sushi with him selling fish from tanks just a few feet away is kinda disgusting IMO. I've been in some clean lfs but none clean enough that I would eat from there. It just seems like a horrible combination.

minerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think lionfish might be the most common. In Florida, where they're an invasive species, many restaurants offer lionfish on the menu and some places even offer to cook wild-caught lionfish for a discount with an order of side dishes. I've had it before and tastes like other good fish.

Where in Florida do you get lionfish? I live in SW Florida and I've never found a restaurant that serves it.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like putting this in a reefkeeper's forum is kind of like asking if anyone has gone to a country where eating dogs is common and munched on Fido...
I've had dog... Kinda like a Chuck roast, only not as good.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There used to be a lfs around me that was just a small reef shop. The owner wasn't able to sustain the business as just a reef shop, so he also made it into a sushi restaurant as well. The thought of going into a restaurant to buy sushi with him selling fish from tanks just a few feet away is kinda disgusting IMO. I've been in some clean lfs but none clean enough that I would eat from there. It just seems like a horrible combination.
That’s pretty gross honestly. Doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in what you’re eating

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in Florida do you get lionfish? I live in SW Florida and I've never found a restaurant that serves it.

There's a bunch in the Keys, especially ones that offer to cook them for free. One used to keep a tank of live ones caught by local divers that they'd then serve. There's a few up in Cocoa Beach too. I'm not sure about SW FL though.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was coming in to say this. Perfectly good eating fish and all over the place on menus in Florida. I've had it a few times.

I've eaten several types of Grouper (also all over menus in the Southeast), though I don't know if I've ever had any that are regularly kept in aquariums. I also tried puffer twice in Japan, though again, I'm not sure which specific species.

I'd be open to trying others, but only wild caught. The idea of eating one that's been sitting in a living room fish tank is weird (and potentially unhealthy) for multiple reasons.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back