Has anyone eaten a Aquarium fish?

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in Florida do you get lionfish? I live in SW Florida and I've never found a restaurant that serves it.
I've seen it at several places between WPB and Key West. Usually a rotating special rather than staple. District Bar and Kitchen in Stuart has it pretty regularly.

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny whats a collectors item in one part of the world is food in another…I think part of what saved both the american crocodile and gator is its taste, no restaurant wants gator on CITES anymore …
In my travels in the 90's I've eaten various butterflyfish, fusilliers, large Acanathurus tangs, angelfish, squirrelfish, discus, cichlids.

I generally don't eat fish other than fish&chips but when there isnt anything else to eat for a main protein source...when in Rome...
- So what does tang taste like, I’d bet scaled it looks a lot like Crappie he he
-I’ve seen myriads of pictures from S.America with discus and many cichlids, catfish et…They say Discus is tasty …. Another tropical crappie IMPO :p
- I’d wager panther grouper and Marine Betta is tasty
Moray eel ?
Anyone else been to a true Vietnamese or Philippine seafood market or any fish market in the tropics?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny whats a collectors item in one part of the world is food in another…I think part of what saved both the american crocodile and gator is its taste, no restaurant wants gator on CITES anymore …

- So what does tang taste like, I’d bet scaled it looks a lot like Crappie he he
-I’ve seen myriads of pictures from S.America with discus and many cichlids, catfish et…They say Discus is tasty …. Another tropical crappie IMPO :p
- I’d wager panther grouper and Marine Betta is tasty
Moray eel ?
Anyone else been to a true Vietnamese or Philippine seafood market or any fish market in the tropics?
I watch this youtube channel quite often.... might satisfy your curiosity

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had dog... Kinda like a Chuck roast, only not as good.
Not thrilled with the idea of it, but if I'm somewhere where it's offered and it was offered to me, I'd probably try it. I have dogs and love them, I hate the idea of it, but I'd probably do it.

I tried minke whale in Iceland. Again, not something I wanted to do or sought out, but it was put in front of me at a restaurant in the northern part of the country by the extremely friendly owner. Looked like steak, tasted like fishy steak. Not great even if there were no moral objections to it.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growing up in Canton, unicorn tang was a somewhat common fish in the market. It was called "peel skin cow". "Cow" because of the horn. "peel skin" because it has thick skin that can be peeled away as a whole. It's pretty declicious.

Parrot fish is common in most seafood market including US, as well as in liveaquaria. Goat fish and squirrel fish are also common seafood and not that rare in aquarium.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not thrilled with the idea of it, but if I'm somewhere where it's offered and it was offered to me, I'd probably try it. I have dogs and love them, I hate the idea of it, but I'd probably do it.

I tried minke whale in Iceland. Again, not something I wanted to do or sought out, but it was put in front of me at a restaurant in the northern part of the country by the extremely friendly owner. Looked like steak, tasted like fishy steak. Not great even if there were no moral objections to it.
Most places offering dog meat breed them as food. It's not that different from pigs breed as food, while some keep them as pet, and in some culture it's even forbidden as food.

vintage detritus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone been traveling and actually eaten any of the fish we keep, as in Hawaii or somewhere? Lion fish? et
Just wondering what yellow tang taste like, it looks like it might make nice samiches
I did see a picture of crocea and giant clams for sale as food, so it would figure the people in the tropics eat some of the fish regularly
Somebody had to post this. Might as well be me.
Nemo Found!.jpg

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It was during my second tour of duty overseas in Korea. Not a lifestyle, just an experience I had.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the local fish market. We regularly eat alot of different kinds of reef fish such as tangs, triggers, angelfish etc. They're actually delicious. Lionfish are my favorite!

Attachments

• 20210909_120700.jpg
    20210909_120700.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 60

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone been traveling and actually eaten any of the fish we keep, as in Hawaii or somewhere? Lion fish? et
Just wondering what yellow tang taste like, it looks like it might make nice samiches
I did see a picture of crocea and giant clams for sale as food, so it would figure the people in the tropics eat some of the fish regularly
Yes, Chevron, Yellow and Convict tangs in Hawaiian luaus. Actually pretty tasty, but I did feel a little guilty. But it would have been an insult to the Hawaiian hosts to pass on them.

Hypnotoad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had lionfish at a cookout in Belize, where they're invasive. There was a lionfish hunt festival type thing going on while we were there.

I had Surgeonfish (Tang) as the daily fish in Rangiroa, French Polynesia one time. Not sure what species, but It was good. The little fish stands in the village were full of parrotfish, big unicorn tangs, and such.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most places offering dog meat breed them as food. It's not that different from pigs breed as food, while some keep them as pet, and in some culture it's even forbidden as food.
That's why I think that if I was ever in one of those places, I'd probably try it if it was offered.

thedudebob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go scuba diving in the Caribbean almost every year and they always have lionfish on the menu. It's actually a really tastey white fish. We've gone on hunts for them and filleted them right on the beach and ate them raw.

Back