OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was during my second tour of duty overseas in Korea. Not a lifestyle, just an experience I had.
I’ve seen a couple Korean fish markets, all large….but yeah I’m not sure if the pallet oversees is just wider, or the fishing regulations are looser but in any event the market represents pretty much the entire ocean food chain… Its a site regardless

wtac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny whats a collectors item in one part of the world is food in another…I think part of what saved both the american crocodile and gator is its taste, no restaurant wants gator on CITES anymore …

- So what does tang taste like, I’d bet scaled it looks a lot like Crappie he he
-I’ve seen myriads of pictures from S.America with discus and many cichlids, catfish et…They say Discus is tasty …. Another tropical crappie IMPO :p
- I’d wager panther grouper and Marine Betta is tasty
Moray eel ?
Anyone else been to a true Vietnamese or Philippine seafood market or any fish market in the tropics?
It was alright...like any other whitefish...I haven't eaten enough fish to know the subtle differences...down the hatch to quiet that growling belly!

I've had the native fare when in the bush or on the boat collecting fish...too many types that will make many "Westerners" cringe o_O

I remember an early TFH publication with an Amazonian aboriginal with a beautiful discus in their mouth when I was in HS...made me cringe and thought of how much that would be in the LFS...lol!

In HK back in 1997, I bought about 15 tortoises from the food market. They were shocked that I wanted them live. took them back for my great aunt, who was a vegetarian, to care for them.

There were bowls of marine cats, rather the front half, still alive in metal bowls. There were are also restaurants where there in the foyer is a wall of aquariums with various fish and crustaceons, many of which we see in FOWLR systems and on the bottom row were vats jammed packed with mantis shrimp....point to what you want to eat!

vintage detritus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am old enough to remember when, in California, you could buy a Gharibaldi Perch for your (hopefully large) tank, and on the way home pick one up "dressed for dinner" from the local fish monger. It's been illegal to catch, sell or keep them for many years.
Garibaldi Perch.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone been traveling and actually eaten any of the fish we keep, as in Hawaii or somewhere? Lion fish? et
Just wondering what yellow tang taste like, it looks like it might make nice samiches
I did see a picture of crocea and giant clams for sale as food, so it would figure the people in the tropics eat some of the fish regularly

Tang is supposed to be delicious! I would eat one in Hawaii but would never eat a pet-store tang. They are potentially exposed to copper and antibiotics and fed pellets and dirty tanks and gross. It’s not the same.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had a customer that said he ate his African cichlids after they all died ‍
That’s just gross. Fish in a dirty tank eating pellets, maybe exposed to copper or antibiotics though the chain and then dying to perhaps disease or what not…

Fresh or frozen fish from the ocean is one thing but that is just gross!!!!

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was alright...like any other whitefish...I haven't eaten enough fish to know the subtle differences...down the hatch to quiet that growling belly!

I've had the native fare when in the bush or on the boat collecting fish...too many types that will make many "Westerners" cringe o_O

I remember an early TFH publication with an Amazonian aboriginal with a beautiful discus in their mouth when I was in HS...made me cringe and thought of how much that would be in the LFS...lol!

In HK back in 1997, I bought about 15 tortoises from the food market. They were shocked that I wanted them live. took them back for my great aunt, who was a vegetarian, to care for them.

There were bowls of marine cats, rather the front half, still alive in metal bowls. There were are also restaurants where there in the foyer is a wall of aquariums with various fish and crustaceons, many of which we see in FOWLR systems and on the bottom row were vats jammed packed with mantis shrimp....point to what you want to eat!
I've never had tang myself, but I've had a handful of other common hobby/aquarium fish.

It generally comes down to both money and what's culturally acceptable. Tangs that cost well over $100 (or $400) in US and UK LFS are available in abundance in local waters in the tropics around the world. So people eat them. Regardless of taste, people in the U.S. aren't going to pay what amounts to about $400+ per pound (rough estimate, but likely more if you're talking about meat alone from tangs) to eat fish like town that is comparable in taste/texture to the white fish that's locally available for $15/20 per pound. Outside of the hobby, nobody would really care that it's a tang if it's filleted or bits of white fish on their plate.

Some of it is cultural though. There's a ton of fishing here and a lot of what's caught locally is shipped abroad as there's no local market for it. Hagfish is a lucrative catch in Maine, but most Americans would consider it gross and it's shipped to Korea and Japan where it's a delicacy. Some fish here in New England, like Skate and Dogfish, are actually excellent, but they've always been "nuisances" and "throwaway fish," so most people pay more for other varieties just because that's what they've always done. Oh, and monkfish? It's on a bunch of menus (and it's delicious), but most people don't know what it looks like and that's probably a good thing.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s just gross. Fish in a dirty tank eating pellets, maybe exposed to copper or antibiotics though the chain and then dying to perhaps disease or what not…

Fresh or frozen fish from the ocean is one thing but that is just gross!!!!

Right. No problem with trying a wild-caught fish that just so happens to be common in the aquariu trade. But out of a tank? No way. I imagine there are health risks.

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried them myself but many reef fish are eaten in the tropics. Kole are going for $280 on Live Aquaria right now and this guy shot at least 30 or 40 for a fish fry!

APC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the restaurant “Marcus” in Bermuda they serve lion fish. They catch them on the reef since they are invasive. I have had them fried whole and in Tacos. It’s honestly a delicious white fish meat. I get it anytime I am there in its on the menu

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back