Has anyone that pre-ordered seen their ION Director yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I understand people’s frustration when they ordered it a long while back, but it is coming for sure.

Trust me, I want it tomorrow so I can do a comparison with the Trident, but I also understand I am last in line of the pre-orders, so the comparison will have to wait.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand all the different messages & I haven’t received a thing. It is obvious that communication isn’t GHL’s strong suit but can someone from the company just weigh in and clarify here?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t understand all the different messages & I haven’t received a thing. It is obvious that communication isn’t GHL’s strong suit but can someone from the company just weigh in and clarify here?
Not a company rep (not even sure they will respond to these threads any more), but the net of this is they started shipping and received reports of sensors being damaged. They have slowed down shipping to resolve the issue and expect 3-4 months to fill preorders. They also are focusing on shipping and not taking individual queries on order status any more. So, if you have a preorder, the longest wait would be 4 months as of that letter (I received it on 8/26). For @Scdell, he is on the shorter wait time for delivery and sounds like GHL was letting him know that directly. New orders should expect 4 months.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. But since you replied to my post I can’t update those anyway. I can always resubscribe if someone decided to be that malicious.
Clic on "Report" on you post and ask for admin to remove the last part of the link ;-)

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope they get delivered soon for you guys! We have orders of equipment from Germany that are stuck in Norfolk since beginning of August because we cannot get trucking services to get them out of the port. Just a general global shipping issue these days.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't have a Ion Director on order but I did just buy a KH director and Profilux with the knowledge that it was coming.

Have they explained what they have done to fix the problem with the US shipment that was delayed in Germany? I have read the earlier post about things they had tried, but how have they fixed the issue? They can't have made significant changes in the relatively short time they were being held.

I would be very concerned about taking delivery of one now, even if I had waited several months. What if they can't get them to work reliably in the field? Will they offer refunds?

What if the probes don't last as long as they anticipate? At the moment they are guaranteeing 6 months but will they offer that guarantee forever?

What if they can't keep up with production/shipping and after 6 months (or if the probe fails before then) they don't have any replacement probes available to send out?

As someone who recently bought a Hanna nitrate checker, that is now a paperweight as I can't get reagents, I would be cancelling my Ion director pre-order until the issues are ironed out. Otherwise there is a possibility that you could just end up with a metal box that doesn't do anything.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a Ion Director on order but I did just buy a KH director and Profilux with the knowledge that it was coming.

Have they explained what they have done to fix the problem with the US shipment that was delayed in Germany? I have read the earlier post about things they had tried, but how have they fixed the issue? They can't have made significant changes in the relatively short time they were being held.

I would be very concerned about taking delivery of one now, even if I had waited several months. What if they can't get them to work reliably in the field? Will they offer refunds?

What if the probes don't last as long as they anticipate? At the moment they are guaranteeing 6 months but will they offer that guarantee forever?

What if they can't keep up with production/shipping and after 6 months (or if the probe fails before then) they don't have any replacement probes available to send out?

As someone who recently bought a Hanna nitrate checker, that is now a paperweight as I can't get reagents, I would be cancelling my Ion director pre-order until the issues are ironed out. Otherwise there is a possibility that you could just end up with a metal box that doesn't do anything.
It is almost a certainty that if something went wrong they would honor the warranty. The problem might be if they tell you that you have to wait several weeks for a new probe to come from Germany. I would hope that that they shipped Vinny some spare probes just in case.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is almost a certainty that if something went wrong they would honor the warranty. The problem might be if they tell you that you have to wait several weeks for a new probe to come from Germany. I would hope that that they shipped Vinny some spare probes just in case.
“Several weeks” that made me laugh… need to change that to “months”. When you need a new probe you will likely wait months

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Several weeks” that made me laugh… need to change that to “months”. When you need a new probe you will likely wait months
Tell me your logic behind this.....

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me your logic behind this.....
In addition to the prolonged wait for a preordered ion director, this is based off of a previous experience earlier this yr when it took over 2 months to get a replacement nut for my KHD. In addition to that, after the 2nd time of being told 2more weeks for the part, I purchased a KHD from a retailer which I found out just shipped things from the manufacturer. I found out because after 2 weeks of not receiving the KHD, I checked with them and they had to get with GHL who coincidentally shipped it the next day. Don’t get me wrong, I mostly like GHL but none of that is based on their communication or shipping logistics. Maybe they just got it wrong 3x with the same customer but it may be a good idea to order your replacement probe the day your IOND arrives so it’s here on time.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the prolonged wait for a preordered ion director, this is based off of a previous experience earlier this yr when it took over 2 months to get a replacement nut for my KHD. In addition to that, after the 2nd time of being told 2more weeks for the part, I purchased a KHD from a retailer which I found out just shipped things from the manufacturer. I found out because after 2 weeks of not receiving the KHD, I checked with them and they had to get with GHL who coincidentally shipped it the next day. Don’t get me wrong, I mostly like GHL but none of that is based on their communication or shipping logistics. Maybe they just got it wrong 3x with the same customer but it may be a good idea to order your replacement probe the day your IOND arrives so it’s here on time.
This is the way of the world these days. Not just GHL. Everyone can blame this on Covid but it was coming anyway. Too many people thinking ordering online and having it arrive in two days was going to be the norm. Thanks Amazon........

Anyway GHL is and will be behind their products. They, like all the other companies are going to have to figure out the logistics of all this. And they will. Meanwhile everyone needs to get used to this as the new normal.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the way of the world these days. Not just GHL. Everyone can blame this on Covid but it was coming anyway. Too many people thinking ordering online and having it arrive in two days was going to be the norm. Thanks Amazon........

Anyway GHL is and will be behind their products. They, like all the other companies are going to have to figure out the logistics of all this. And they will. Meanwhile everyone needs to get used to this as the new normal.
I don’t agree that this is the norm. This is worse than the norm. For the replacement nut, my expectations were managed by GHL themselves telling me time after time 2 more weeks. Note: never contacting me, I had to keep checking. The IOND same story, 6 more months, 4 more months… all from GHL. I wasn’t expecting 2 day shipping but also didn’t count on having to manage my purchases and advocate for them.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t agree that this is the norm. This is worse than the norm. For the replacement nut, my expectations were managed by GHL themselves telling me time after time 2 more weeks. Note: never contacting me, I had to keep checking. The IOND same story, 6 more months, 4 more months… all from GHL. I wasn’t expecting 2 day shipping but also didn’t count on having to manage my purchases and advocate for them.
I agree GHL has always been horrible with communication. It's not their strong point. Hopefully they learn from this........
But then again a lot of foreign companies aren't strong at communication. Some are, some aren't.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree GHL has always been horrible with communication. It's not their strong point. Hopefully they learn from this........
But then again a lot of foreign companies aren't strong at communication. Some are, some aren't.
The IOND is my first experience with GHL products and agree that communication is not good. I hear they are amazing at engineering and it more than makes up for the poor logistics. Since I don’t have experience with their other products, I only see their probe issue off the bat (after extensive beta testing) so the jury is still out for me. I hope this product succeeds in all honesty because I love product innovation and game changing ideas, but I’m content watching from the sidelines because I couldn’t wait any longer for my situation.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your example of needing a Nut is not really the same. Parts like that are probably not kept on hand in the USA but I am pretty sure that Vinny will have spare probes for this unit.

My thinking is that given the current debockle they will send at least one or two spare probes to the USA and they will only be for warranty exchanges. Right now every probe they have siting on the shelf is an ionD that they cannot finish assembling. In another 6 months this will "Gulp" hopefully not be a problem and Vinny will have several spares plus extras to sell.

1 or 2 probes is based on the three units that we know they are shipping plus the Beta tester plus possibly another 3 people who we might not know about.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back