Has anyone that pre-ordered seen their ION Director yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a shipment coming from Germany. I don't think it's just a few, others will be receiving them also. I just don't understand why people are sooooo quiet about it.
It's a new product. There will be things they find out as it gets out there.
So...... As more people use it the more info GHL will have. They seem to be on top of the updates.
Is this shipment the one that was in the photo of the shipping container-The picture that was posted months ago? I’m not holding my breath.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this shipment the one that was in the photo of the shipping container-The picture that was posted months ago? I’m not holding my breath.
All I know is what I'm being told by GHL. Which isn't much.
Back in April they told us 3-4 months to fulfill all the prorders.
So far nary a one has hit the states, but supposedly they are shipping in Germany.
Yet GHL says they are shipping according to who ordered first.
Me and at least two others received an email to expect shipping mid August.
It is now two weeks past due as they haven't arrived in the states yet.
At this rate it's going to take a full year to fulfill all the preorders if they start now.

This is a PR nightmare for GHL.
It's been nothing but blatant lies about when or if we receive these.
I'm wondering when the breaking point will arrive and people start seeking refunds.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All I know is what I'm being told by GHL. Which isn't much.
Back in April they told us 3-4 months to fulfill all the prorders.
So far nary a one has hit the states, but supposedly they are shipping in Germany.
Yet GHL says they are shipping according to who ordered first.
Me and at least two others received an email to expect shipping mid August.
It is now two weeks past due as they haven't arrived in the states yet.
At this rate it's going to take a full year to fulfill all the preorders if they start now.

This is a PR nightmare for GHL.
It's been nothing but blatant lies about when or if we receive these.
I'm wondering when the breaking point will arrive and people start seeking refunds.
I don’t envy being dragged along. I’m sure some things are not in their control and others are just bad judgements on planning on their side.
I suspect when they say they are delivering to who ordered first, it is just a big batch in their minds. If they had 5K pre-orders (making that up), they are shipping to based on geographical efficiency. People who pre-ordered last could get one before others because they live near a cluster of other pre-orders.

I recall someone posting last year it would be Christmas 2021 and I laughed at the time. Now it doesn’t sound so unrealistic.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall someone posting last year it would be Christmas 2021 and I laughed at the time. Now it doesn’t sound so unrealistic.
I think I said Nov/Dec 2021 :p
At this point I am not sure what is going on. I am Just glad I got out of this S. Show before it got to this point. If I still had my money tied up I would not pull out now, but luckily I did it early on.

BTW it's just sheer arrogance on GHL's side that has caused this. They could have smoothed this over but instead they adopted a policy of don't ask any questions and if you don't like it just take your money back . Poor Vinny, he had to deal with this mess!

I wonder if the attitude would be the same if 100 or more people asked for refunds on the same day.
Good luck GHL on ever trying to do pre-orders again.

Last edited:

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light is at the end of the tunnel and the end is getting closer.
GHL could have and should have handled this a lot better.
But they aren't known for their support. It's OK, they get the problems fixed in time.
Support tickets anyone???
In the end everyone will be happy with the IOND just like every other GHL product.
If their stuff wasn't soooo good they'd be out of business a long time ago.
So.....people put up with a lot from them.
Kinda like the old adage:
Why is divorce so expensive?
Cause it's worth it!

RedSeaReefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow it’s gotten that bad huh, I ordered my ghl Doser last year and it came in about a weeks time. Never used it though, it’s been sitting in my closet since last year

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light is at the end of the tunnel and the end is getting closer.
GHL could have and should have handled this a lot better.
But they aren't known for their support. It's OK, they get the problems fixed in time.
Support tickets anyone???
In the end everyone will be happy with the IOND just like every other GHL product.
If their stuff wasn't soooo good they'd be out of business a long time ago.
So.....people put up with a lot from them.
Kinda like the old adage:
Why is divorce so expensive?
Cause it's worth it!
I hope your right because it seems like this thing is still being Beta tested. I am really looking forward to your review of the unit.

Constantin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cancelled my pre-order only a few months ago when there was still no full, un-biased review of the ION-D available. Also I live in Germany and I don't know anyone who has received their pre-orders.
In my opinion a product consists out of the physical part, but should also include support, liability and an honest, transparent information flow.

I am project manager within an engineering product development team and I can't believe how GHL is planning their product development cycle:

1. Collect the money and announce a release date
2. Do some development and announce another release date
3. Do beta tests and expect the shipments at the end of the beta testing phase (facepalm)
4. Pretend to ship but in reality fix the issues occured during the beta testing phase.
5... What is next ?

Why are there no full review videos on YouTube from all the German reefers that received their pre-orders?

Constantin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cancelled my pre-order only a few months ago when there was still no full, un-biased review of the ION-D available. Also I live in Germany and I don't know anyone who has received their pre-orders.
In my opinion a product consists out of the physical part, but should also include support, liability and an honest, transparent information flow.

I am project manager within an engineering product development team and I can't believe how GHL is planning their product development cycle:

3. Do beta tests and expect the shipments at the end of the beta testing phase (facepalm)
4. Pretend to ship but in reality fix the issues occured during the beta testing phase.
5... What is next ?

Why are there no full review videos on YouTube from all the German reefers that received their pre-orders?

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

5... What is next ?

Agree 100%. I saw them announce their new Maxi this week, meanwhile, I’m still waiting on my ION that I ordered over 18mos. ago….not falling for that again. They need to talk less and start delivering.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still haven't received any shipping notice............... The saga continues........

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree 100%. I saw them announce their new Maxi this week, meanwhile, I’m still waiting on my ION that I ordered over 18mos. ago….not falling for that again. They need to talk less and start delivering.
You've been waiting 18 months??? You have the patience of a Saint good sir. No way I would do that lol. Though this is probably the reason I'll be going Apex/Trident. Can't find the Mastertronic anywhere or Alkatronic, nor this Ion Director.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's a shipment coming from Germany. I don't think it's just a few, others will be receiving them also. I just don't understand why people are sooooo quiet about it.
It's a new product. There will be things they find out as it gets out there.
So...... As more people use it the more info GHL will have. They seem to be on top of the updates.
Less good news man. Sorry!

ION Director: Update on delivery situation and information about sensors​

Today we would like to inform you about the delivery of the IOND as well as the IOND sensor.

After we had delivered a significant amount of IOND in the last weeks we got very positive feedback from many customers, but unfortunately there were also problems.
For some customers the sensor did not work anymore, the sensor performance decreased much too fast - and this although every single sensor was tested several times before delivery.
After these cases became known, we investigated the problem and, as a precaution, throttled production and thus also the delivery of the IOND.
It turned out that some sensors had not survived the transport well. It is not yet certain whether this was caused by shocks, temperature fluctuations, drying out of the reference electrode or other reasons. In the meantime we had changed the way of transport several times: including dry, wet, wet in salt water, with varying success.
At the moment, dry shipping with pre-watering at the customer's site (please refer to the latest IOND instruction manual) seems to be best, but even here there were still occasional failures.
At the same time, the sensor has been further improved, among other things by increasing the layer thickness of the active surfaces to make it more mechanically and chemically resistant.

We promised that the sensor would function for at least 6 months, and of course we are still committed to this today. Sensors that fail within the first 6 months from purchase will be replaced free of charge to the customer.

Currently, we are confident that we will soon have finally solved the sensor transport problem; the production process and the transport method are being permanently optimized in countless tests.

Unfortunately, this circumstance, but also the still very fragile supply chains, shipping and logistics problems continue to delay the IOND delivery.

From today's perspective, it is expected that it will take another 3-4 months until all currently ordered IOND have been delivered. For new orders a delivery time of approx. 4 months has to be expected.
Of course we will do everything possible to speed up this process, but unfortunately there are limits to what we can do.

Furthermore, we must point out that we can no longer answer individual delivery time requests. The situation is too uncertain and dynamic, we find new conditions every day. We can also no longer give estimated times, as these only lead to frustration and disappointment on the part of the customer if they cannot be met. We can only assure that all binding pre-orders will be delivered in the order of receipt (for prepayment customers date of receipt of payment counts). Depending on logistical reasons and the availability of the models (color, country version, doser variant), this may occasionally be subject to change.

We are all very aware that this is an unsatisfactory situation, it is also understandable if customers do not want to wait any longer if they are not given an exact date.
As previously communicated, it is possible to cancel the order at any time and reorder when the delivery situation has normalized. If a deposit has been paid, it will of course be refunded immediately.

We thank you very much for your trust and patience, we appreciate it very much.

Your GHL Team

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, someone else can have mine… canceling today.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Today we would like to inform you about the delivery of the IOND as well as the IOND sensor.

After we had delivered a significant amount of IOND in the last weeks we got very positive feedback from many customers, but unfortunately there were also problems.
For some customers the sensor did not work anymore, the sensor performance decreased much too fast - and this although every single sensor was tested several times before delivery.
After these cases became known, we investigated the problem and, as a precaution, throttled production and thus also the delivery of the IOND.
It turned out that some sensors had not survived the transport well. It is not yet certain whether this was caused by shocks, temperature fluctuations, drying out of the reference electrode or other reasons. In the meantime we had changed the way of transport several times: including dry, wet, wet in salt water, with varying success.
At the moment, dry shipping with pre-watering at the customer's site (please refer to the latest IOND instruction manual) seems to be best, but even here there were still occasional failures.
At the same time, the sensor has been further improved, among other things by increasing the layer thickness of the active surfaces to make it more mechanically and chemically resistant.

We promised that the sensor would function for at least 6 months, and of course we are still committed to this today. Sensors that fail within the first 6 months from purchase will be replaced free of charge to the customer.

Currently, we are confident that we will soon have finally solved the sensor transport problem; the production process and the transport method are being permanently optimized in countless tests.

Unfortunately, this circumstance, but also the still very fragile supply chains, shipping and logistics problems continue to delay the IOND delivery.

From today's perspective, it is expected that it will take another 3-4 months until all currently ordered IOND have been delivered. For new orders a delivery time of approx. 4 months has to be expected.
Of course we will do everything possible to speed up this process, but unfortunately there are limits to what we can do.

Furthermore, we must point out that we can no longer answer individual delivery time requests. The situation is too uncertain and dynamic, we find new conditions every day. We can also no longer give estimated times, as these only lead to frustration and disappointment on the part of the customer if they cannot be met. We can only assure that all binding pre-orders will be delivered in the order of receipt (for prepayment customers date of receipt of payment counts). Depending on logistical reasons and the availability of the models (color, country version, doser variant), this may occasionally be subject to change.

We are all very aware that this is an unsatisfactory situation, it is also understandable if customers do not want to wait any longer if they are not given an exact date.
As previously communicated, it is possible to cancel the order at any time and reorder when the delivery situation has normalized. If a deposit has been paid, it will of course be refunded immediately.

Your GHL Team
Where did you get this from? I can't find it anywhere. Not even on GHL website

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn't sound good at all, It sounds like they are very near to possibly giving up.

This is one of those products that could have benefited from the Elon Musk way of doing things. If you try something and it's getting too complicated then scrap it completely and go in a completely different direction. After that second delay they probably should have focused on a something that did not involve ion probes.

My conversation from 2 years ago with an engineer at Mindstream on the topic of Ion Probes gave me the impression that it was not something that could work. I was kind of hoping that GHL had gotten around the inherent problems he mentioned about them, but it seems they have not.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn't sound good at all, It sounds like they are very near to possibly giving up.

This is one of those products that could have benefited from the Elon Musk way of doing things. If you try something and it's getting too complicated then scrap it completely and go in a completely different direction. After that second delay they probably should have focused on a something that did not involve ion probes.

My conversation from 2 years ago with an engineer at Mindstream on the topic of Ion Probes gave me the impression that it was not something that could work. I was kind of hoping that GHL had gotten around the inherent problems he mentioned about them, but it seems they have not.
GHL is not giving up

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your GHL Team

Where did you see this? I got the other notifications from GHL, but I didn’t get this.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back