Has anyone tried to make their own trace elements solutions?

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I have a nice 300G reef with solid CaRx and masterflex doser. I want to begin a no waterchange system and do consistent ICP (triton/ATI) testing. I will individually bump up trace elements weekly. A few of these items, I've dosed for long ago before testing existed... such as lugol's iodine, potassium chloride (water softener salt), MgCl, CaCl, Chelated Iron... I wonder if the other items can be made into solution just as easily with no ill effects? IE using human vitamin supplements when possible (chromium picolate, potassium etc). I can't find anyone else who has tried it, but I would think with basic chemistry/math/unit conversion, we can make our own solutions for dosing. I don't want to hurt the aqua-trade, but make massive tanks a bit more affordable. I am not sure what my trace element requirements would be yet, so it's tough to say... could be $5/month, could be $100, in which case that would not be worth skipping water changes.

//from ATI essentials/elements

Boron
- Boron is absorbed by coral. As a buffering agent, it can help prevent large pH swings in aquarium water.

Bromine - Bromine is used in some corals for chromoprotein synthesis and for skeleton construction.

Calcium - Calcium is a crucial element for stony corals, clams, and calcareous algae.

Chromium - Chromium can aid in producing improved coral coloration and better health.

Cobalt - In trace quantities, Cobalt produces brighter, more vivid coral colors.

Iron - Benefits photosynthetic invertebrates and plants and provides nourishment for improved color and growth.

Iodine - Iodine is essential for the health of many soft corals. It may have antibiotic properties as well.

Lithium - Lithium helps to produce brighter corals in your aquarium.

Magnesium - Magnesium aids in the regulation of aquarium PH and the formation of skeletal structures in invertebrates.

Manganese - Manganese is an element used in the process of photosynthesis.

Molybdenum - In small quantities, Molybdenum aids the biological processes of many beneficial strains of bacteria.

Nickel - Proper quantites of nickel promote improved coral coloration, though care should be taken to avoid overdosing.

Potassium - Potassium is an essential element in both the skeletal construction and coloration of certain corals.

Strontium - Strontium is used by many organisms to help build and develop their skeletons. Adding Strontium can improve coral growth.

Vanadium - Certain sponges accumulate Vanadium, and this element helps them to establish and grow.

Zinc - Activates certain enzymes that promote better transfer of carbon dioxide in organisms. It also aids plants in leaf formation.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I have a nice 300G reef with solid CaRx and masterflex doser. I want to begin a no waterchange system and do consistent ICP (triton/ATI) testing. I will individually bump up trace elements weekly. A few of these items, I've dosed for long ago before testing existed... such as lugol's iodine, potassium chloride (water softener salt), MgCl, CaCl, Chelated Iron... I wonder if the other items can be made into solution just as easily with no ill effects? IE using human vitamin supplements when possible (chromium picolate, potassium etc). I can't find anyone else who has tried it, but I would think with basic chemistry/math/unit conversion, we can make our own solutions for dosing. I don't want to hurt the aqua-trade, but make massive tanks a bit more affordable. I am not sure what my trace element requirements would be yet, so it's tough to say... could be $5/month, could be $100, in which case that would not be worth skipping water changes.

Boron
- Boron is absorbed by coral. As a buffering agent, it can help prevent large pH swings in aquarium water.

Bromine - Bromine is used in some corals for chromoprotein synthesis and for skeleton construction.

Calcium - Calcium is a crucial element for stony corals, clams, and calcareous algae.

Chromium - Chromium can aid in producing improved coral coloration and better health.

Cobalt - In trace quantities, Cobalt produces brighter, more vivid coral colors.

Iron - Benefits photosynthetic invertebrates and plants and provides nourishment for improved color and growth.

Iodine - Iodine is essential for the health of many soft corals. It may have antibiotic properties as well.

Magnesium - Magnesium aids in the regulation of aquarium PH and the formation of skeletal structures in invertebrates.

Molybdenum - In small quantities, Molybdenum aids the biological processes of many beneficial strains of bacteria.

Nickel - Proper quantites of nickel promote improved coral coloration, though care should be taken to avoid overdosing.

Potassium - Potassium is an essential element in both the skeletal construction and coloration of certain corals.

Strontium - Strontium is used by many organisms to help build and develop their skeletons. Adding Strontium can improve coral growth.

Vanadium - Certain sponges accumulate Vanadium, and this element helps them to establish and grow.

Zinc - Activates certain enzymes that promote better transfer of carbon dioxide in organisms. It also aids plants in leaf formation.

Tagging along.

OP
OP
zachtos

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe everyone too scared to do so? or not enough people are doing ICP testing yet?

or just not enough value saved to make own solutions?

I'll find out, if I'm dosing a few major elements in heavy amounts, then I will find a cheaper way for those major items (guessing Strontium, Potassium, Iodine will be the most needed elements on regular dosing)

Tmmste

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe everyone too scared to do so? or not enough people are doing ICP testing yet?

or just not enough value saved to make own solutions?

I'll find out, if I'm dosing a few major elements in heavy amounts, then I will find a cheaper way for those major items (guessing Strontium, Potassium, Iodine will be the most needed elements on regular dosing)
Yes I also notice experimenting is not for everyone. I also like to try an all-in-one trace/carbon source. What ratio depends on if you need to remove water to lower salinity and compensate for the lost elements. Or maybe already dose elements indirectly with a calciumreactor. I will start with calciumhydroxide and not remove water to see if I can come up with a ratio where all elememts remain stable. believe the following can be mixed together:

magnesium chloride hexahydrate OR sodium tetraborate decahydrate (boron react with magnesium)
strontiumchloride hexahydrate
potassiumchloride
potassium iodide
sodium molybdate
ammonium monovanadate
chelated iron (I will use Fe-bisglycate.. a very weak chelate but I intend to use it only to feed the bacteria.. I do not expect any natural chelate to last in the donovan nitrate destroyer)
chelated manganese (I will use Mn- EDTA)

Not possible: sodium fluoride.. reacts with strontium. My plan is to combine this in a carbon source that will keep my no3 stable via Donovan's nitrate destroyer.. this will be a mix of vinegar and alcohol... I do not know yet if this is a concern. I did not receive any reply on my topic regarding this.

Last edited:

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monitor using ICP testing, pick chemicals that are appropriate, meaning soluble and in the right form. Bust out your calculator, periodic table and digital scale.

It's not for everyone considering those trace elements are super toxic if you misplace a decimal point.

Good luck!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Boron

While I do not agree with all of those assertions about what those elements do, plenty of folks use DIY dosing of trace elements and there are numerous threads on it.

i have recommended a bunch of different online chemicals for such purposes,. Some are easy (iron from Fergon tablets at a drug store), some are trickier to get or use.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back