Has my cheato grown too tightly packed? (with pic)

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cheato isn't growing as much, and my nutrients are rising -- slowly but steadily. I've gone from 6 ppm nitrate to 10 ppm, in about a month.

I do dose Brightwell cheato-gro. The cheato is tumbling in the sump. I don't know if cheato is supposed to be more loosely packed than what I have, in order to grow properly (see pic).
I'm afraid that, if I "unpack" the chaeto ball, it's gonna turn into a thousand different bits and pieces.
Any tips? Advice?

I've ordered a Tunze macro algae reactor. Should be delivered within 3 weeks. Would it be better to split the cheato ball into several looser pieces when I put it in the reactor? Thanks!

IMG_3625.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto needs to be pruned accordingly with indicators being nutrient levels and coloration of the chaeto growth.

As long as your chaeto is green throughout and dense like this, that is good. Tumbling is likely helping it remain this way.

When you chaeto starts to get loose and white in the center, that means its not getting enough food from nutrients and light and thats when you should start pruning it.

If you start to notice your nutrients dropping too much, you will want to reduce the amount of chaeto you have.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back