Have a clownfish which I thought was percula added another clown now told both are neither perc/ocel

What are these clownfish ??

• Both percula

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orange ocelaris , yellow percula

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E7B3AA89-3482-49B6-B94B-6132C146969A.jpeg
3A2C3925-4461-4852-8E31-08245D42F9DD.jpeg
79104122-13A9-4940-8C5C-30A70229428B.jpeg
EEF059AA-2C49-4937-B606-FCD9A519DA65.jpeg
Basically both the clownfish I have seem like they are Unidentified species to everyone I ask !!!!!!!!!!
Pictures are attached for you all to judge
Orange one is the new unidentified one
Darker one is the old one who is also unidentified !

Hi, I’m very confused and wanting some help with my issue i hope I can get a solid opinion . So I’m fairly new to the saltwater tank hobby . Started a tank for a year in 2014 and recently reset it up to have a go at it again as it is something I really love to do . My tank is 5 months old now and doing well , after the cycle I added a clown and a damsel everything went well slowly added more fish and so far so good .
So yesterday I added another clown after asking my fish store if my clown is a perc or ocelaris .
They told me it’s a perc and so I bought a perc . Got home introduced it to the tank ,
they both took a liking to each other straight away which was good . Then it hit me .......
How can I make sure they are both percs.

I then Called another fish store I trust and he told me the new one is an ocelaris and my origional one is a percula ??? Then called back the shop I bought the new clownfish from,and the guy swore to me he knows both my clown are percs he even told me he is 100% sure ??????????????
So the origional clown I have who I love is kinda cool as he is more yellow than orange and has darker like smoke black on the upper half of its body ,the new clownfish is an orange classic looking clownfish.
I orinionaly wants to match a new clown to my clown in colour but for the past 4 months no fish I have seen looks anything like my origional clownfish

Please help me sort out this Dilema your help would be greatly appreciated thanks
Pictures will be attached to help thanks

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going by the number of spines I would say both ocellaris. It's harder to see them in the first pic, but it looks like 11 to me.

Jeff_Toronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E7B3AA89-3482-49B6-B94B-6132C146969A.jpeg
3A2C3925-4461-4852-8E31-08245D42F9DD.jpeg
79104122-13A9-4940-8C5C-30A70229428B.jpeg
EEF059AA-2C49-4937-B606-FCD9A519DA65.jpeg
Basically both the clownfish I have seem like they are Unidentified species to everyone I ask !!!!!!!!!!
Pictures are attached for you all to judge
Orange one is the new unidentified one
Darker one is the old one who is also unidentified !

Hi, I’m very confused and wanting some help with my issue i hope I can get a solid opinion . So I’m fairly new to the saltwater tank hobby . Started a tank for a year in 2014 and recently reset it up to have a go at it again as it is something I really love to do . My tank is 5 months old now and doing well , after the cycle I added a clown and a damsel everything went well slowly added more fish and so far so good .
So yesterday I added another clown after asking my fish store if my clown is a perc or ocelaris .
They told me it’s a perc and so I bought a perc . Got home introduced it to the tank ,
they both took a liking to each other straight away which was good . Then it hit me .......
How can I make sure they are both percs.

I then Called another fish store I trust and he told me the new one is an ocelaris and my origional one is a percula ??? Then called back the shop I bought the new clownfish from,and the guy swore to me he knows both my clown are percs he even told me he is 100% sure ??????????????
So the origional clown I have who I love is kinda cool as he is more yellow than orange and has darker like smoke black on the upper half of its body ,the new clownfish is an orange classic looking clownfish.
I orinionaly wants to match a new clown to my clown in colour but for the past 4 months no fish I have seen looks anything like my origional clownfish

Please help me sort out this Dilema your help would be greatly appreciated thanks
Pictures will be attached to help thanks
The one with the black looks like my snowflake clowns

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8B438F3D-3974-4F6F-BB13-76AF24C862B3.jpeg
C3A52D97-ADFE-481D-BFA7-1AE08E733322.jpeg
reef queen thanks for the reply . I will attach 2 pictures I have of the origional clown as clear as I have right now as they are both sleeping now so I can’t take new pictures
I can count 10 on this one
Ps these are older pictures of when I first got him . Haha even then I was trying to identify what he was .

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one with the black looks like my snowflake clowns

Ikr I bought him thinking oh he’s just another clown only after researching did I find out he was pretty unique pictures don’t do him justice
The only way I can describe him by colour is smokey brown clown fish it’s like the black smokiness fades into his orange/ yellow belly plus he’s not an onyx clown either so idk he is not captive bread that’s all I know here we have no suppliers that stock captive bread fish

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on their species, however even if they are different species, they can still mate and breed. You might end up with some nice designer babies.
Thanks for the reply anyway. Yeah I know about that . It’s just bothering me not knowing what they are it’s been on my mind a lot it’s not the compatibility that wories me . Anyways I got lucky as soon as adding the orange one in my brown clown fish instantly took a liking to it and even did the mating dance thing clowns do within an hour of them meeting .

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8B438F3D-3974-4F6F-BB13-76AF24C862B3.jpeg
C3A52D97-ADFE-481D-BFA7-1AE08E733322.jpeg
reef queen thanks for the reply . I will attach 2 pictures I have of the origional clown as clear as I have right now as they are both sleeping now so I can’t take new pictures
I can count 10 on this one
Ps these are older pictures of when I first got him . Haha even then I was trying to identify what he was .

Still going with ocellaris as my guess, you can't see the last spine in those pics but I can make it out in the first one more. Either way he is a gorgeous clown, I can bet those brown patches will turn darker with age. One of my males was brown as a juvi and the brown parts are now solid black.

P.s. snowflakes are still ocellaris lol;)

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still going with ocellaris as my guess, you can't see the last spine in those pics but I can make it out in the first one more. Either way he is a gorgeous clown, I can bet those brown patches will turn darker with age. One of my males was brown as a juvi and the brown parts are now solid black.

P.s. snowflakes are still ocellaris lol;)
Thank you for sharing ! You have helped me so much !!! I bet your fish is beautiful thanks

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now what about the orange fish ???? I was told it’s a percula 100 % but to my knowledge the black lines are too thin as the fish guy told me mine was a percula because it had darker black bands
So what is the orange fish

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back