Have y’all seen this new product called Reef Delete?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does this do that a syringe with kalk paste doesn't? No offense to their product but when I have gotten aiptasia on frag plugs a simple kalk feeding always did the trick in one treatment and those kits cost like $8

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree , I know this is an old post, but from what I have read about this product is enough to dissuade me from purchasing one.

My understanding, based on my research, is that it is only partially effective. Requiring multiple treatments to eradicate the pests. You still have to get into the tank to focus the beam on the target (challenging for larger tanks).

My feeling is that for the attached pricetag, vs the actual effectiveness of the device, says "save your money"

I am interested if anyone has real world data to support the advertizing.

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree , I know this is an old post, but from what I have read about this product is enough to dissuade me from purchasing one.

My understanding, based on my research, is that it is only partially effective. Requiring multiple treatments to eradicate the pests. You still have to get into the tank to focus the beam on the target (challenging for larger tanks).

My feeling is that for the attached pricetag, vs the actual effectiveness of the device, says "save your money"

I am interested if anyone has real world data to support the advertizing.
Yeah, I ended up selling mine. I think it was a nice idea but in practice it's a bit of a hassle to use. On aiptasia anyway which I wanted it for it didn't really work the way I wanted it to. To many treatments needed, I would point it at the aiptasia for 2 mins it would shrivel but the next morning itd be back so id do it again for longer the next day it'd be back again and so on.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I ended up selling mine. I think it was a nice idea but in practice it's a bit of a hassle to use. On aiptasia anyway which I wanted it for it didn't really work the way I wanted it to. To many treatments needed, I would point it at the aiptasia for 2 mins it would shrivel but the next morning itd be back so id do it again for longer the next day it'd be back again and so on.
Pretty much my understanding from what I have read about this device.

If it seems too good to be true...

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much my understanding from what I have read about this device.

If it seems too good to be true...
Yeah i think it is, I'm reluctant to bash the product and say it made the aiptasia problem worse but I'm kind of leaning that way. But at the same time I don't understand how aiptasia reproduce enough to say it for a fact, and itcs reasoning for how it doesnt is believable lol.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got mine yesterday and after charging it up last night I went on the hunt. Certainly does something as everyone of the manjo and aiptasia I hit shrivelled, this became fun as my CBB proceeded to follow me around picking aggressively at the remains. After 3 batches of nudibranch $100 per pop and 4 bottles of stuff I was close to the price. The nudibranch ended up being eaten by my sixline. I had and still have peppermint shrimp, but never seen one eat an aiptasia.

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a month or so experience I haven't really seen it eradicate anything. Everything I shine it on definitely shrivels up for a period, but it all comes back eventually. It just seems like an irritant rather than a killer. Maybe after dozens of treatments things might actually die, but I haven't seen it toast anything into extinction. I was so excited about this device.

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a month or so experience I haven't really seen it eradicate anything. Everything I shine it on definitely shrivels up for a period, but it all comes back eventually. It just seems like an irritant rather than a killer. Maybe after dozens of treatments things might actually die, but I haven't seen it toast anything into extinction. I was so excited about this device.
My experience also! No doubt it will kill eventually but it just takes to many hits and isn't practical itc know that though I just think it was overhyped and turned in to something it wasn't leading to disappointment.

dmiki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers. I just wanted to pass on my experience with Reef Delete.
-I rented it from a local fish store for 2 days, in the first week of March,2022.
-I had 50+ aiptasia, ranging from a 1/4 of an inch to an inch in diameter, in a 50 gallon tank.
-I read the reviews carefully and tried to accept that it will not be a "magical wand" but will require patience.
-First day I treated 4/5 of the aiptasia I could see, each with 3-4min.bursts. (except for the smallest ones I think you should forget about the 60sec.long treatment)
-Second day, about a third of the treated ones never showed up again, I write this up to the fact that those were more easily accessible and that I literally burned them to a black smudge on the rock. I treated the other ones that showed back up, some severely damaged some somewhat damaged, 3min bursts.
-Third day I could see no aiptasia in the tank. I had to return the Reef Delete to the LFS.
-Fourth day I ordered the device to be shipped to me from the UK. (I live in Europe).
-After three weeks+ I have a dozen aiptasia in the tank. ALL OF THEM are from areas I could not reach well or the battery was emptying or my finger got too tired and "thought" it was pressing the button. A thought on this. When you hold the button, make sure to hold it in a way that you can see if the light is flashing and WHAT color it is flashing, the second day it was flashing red and green, which means the battery needs to be recharged. [thx LFS for not giving me the manual :( ]
- I received it today and the battery is still charging. Do not forget to charge the battery when you receive the product, it is not fully charged from the factory.
Resume:
It is a very,very effective product, you just have to make sure:
-the battery is charged ergo only green flashes when you burn the pests
-you are pressing the button, your hand will get tired and you will think you are pressing the button, while actually your finger slipped
- it needs a 120 sec burst at least, for the smallest ones. the bigger ones(1 inch) need at least 2x3min, read below lines for sure success.
- keep it on until you see the aiptasia is only a black spot on the rock, that one will never come back for sure....

I think it is a very effective product, I have tried RS Aiptasia X, and from one I wound up with several dozen ......
This is way more effective, BUT it is not a magic wand, it requires patience if you have plenty of Aiptasia.... in the end you will be in control, not the Aiptasia.
I have a lot of Zoa's and other corals which can be food for Copperbands(which can or will not eat aiptasia), Bergia nudibranches are not availabe in my part of Europe (in Europe from what I know) and peppermint shrimp are either hit or miss or they sell only the impostors in my country. So much for the best and natural way of getting rid of them.

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers. I just wanted to pass on my experience with Reef Delete.
-I rented it from a local fish store for 2 days, in the first week of March,2022.
-I had 50+ aiptasia, ranging from a 1/4 of an inch to an inch in diameter, in a 50 gallon tank.
-I read the reviews carefully and tried to accept that it will not be a "magical wand" but will require patience.
-First day I treated 4/5 of the aiptasia I could see, each with 3-4min.bursts. (except for the smallest ones I think you should forget about the 60sec.long treatment)
-Second day, about a third of the treated ones never showed up again, I write this up to the fact that those were more easily accessible and that I literally burned them to a black smudge on the rock. I treated the other ones that showed back up, some severely damaged some somewhat damaged, 3min bursts.
-Third day I could see no aiptasia in the tank. I had to return the Reef Delete to the LFS.
-Fourth day I ordered the device to be shipped to me from the UK. (I live in Europe).
-After three weeks+ I have a dozen aiptasia in the tank. ALL OF THEM are from areas I could not reach well or the battery was emptying or my finger got too tired and "thought" it was pressing the button. A thought on this. When you hold the button, make sure to hold it in a way that you can see if the light is flashing and WHAT color it is flashing, the second day it was flashing red and green, which means the battery needs to be recharged. [thx LFS for not giving me the manual :( ]
- I received it today and the battery is still charging. Do not forget to charge the battery when you receive the product, it is not fully charged from the factory.
Resume:
It is a very,very effective product, you just have to make sure:
-the battery is charged ergo only green flashes when you burn the pests
-you are pressing the button, your hand will get tired and you will think you are pressing the button, while actually your finger slipped
- it needs a 120 sec burst at least, for the smallest ones. the bigger ones(1 inch) need at least 2x3min, read below lines for sure success.
- keep it on until you see the aiptasia is only a black spot on the rock, that one will never come back for sure....

I think it is a very effective product, I have tried RS Aiptasia X, and from one I wound up with several dozen ......
This is way more effective, BUT it is not a magic wand, it requires patience if you have plenty of Aiptasia.... in the end you will be in control, not the Aiptasia.
I have a lot of Zoa's and other corals which can be food for Copperbands(which can or will not eat aiptasia), Bergia nudibranches are not availabe in my part of Europe (in Europe from what I know) and peppermint shrimp are either hit or miss or they sell only the impostors in my country. So much for the best and natural way of getting rid of them.

Great to hear you are having success!
Report back in a few months time and let us know if this was in fact a permanent solution. My experience has been that everything eventually grows back.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not trying to be funny but I have a hard enough time waiting for the three minute countdown on my Hanna phosphate checker . I couldn’t imagine holding down the button for 2-3 minutes for any one pest . And then they want how much money for this abuse . What does it do to soft coral with pests ??? I’m sure if it really does work and the only way to make it work is to manually hold it in position you’d think they would have made it with a holder to set it in a position and set a timer to tell you to move it again . Just my opinion !!!

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not trying to be funny but I have a hard enough time waiting for the three minute countdown on my Hanna phosphate checker . I couldn’t imagine holding down the button for 2-3 minutes for any one pest . And then they want how much money for this abuse . What does it do to soft coral with pests ??? I’m sure if it really does work and the only way to make it work is to manually hold it in position you’d think they would have made it with a holder to set it in a position and set a timer to tell you to move it again . Just my opinion !!!
It desperately needs a function like that. The button is very difficult to keep depressed. 3 minutes is almost impossible.

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from the makers of reef delete. Sounds promising.

Dear All!

This is a long one so sit tight! :D

It’s been a good few months since we launched Reef Delete and we have been listening!

I’m sure some of you will have seen the Reef Builders review and for a lot of you will leave you heads scratching.. as it does the job for you!

From the thousands sold most feedback has been good but for a few Customers have had issues these echo Jakes experience with his first gen torch is as follows:

1. Its not a magic wand, poof and its gone - it takes time to work.

2. Button is hard to keep pressed down

3. You can’t get to bits at depth or under rocks easy.

We have been listening and working hard to fix these issues

On the first issue, the torches currently under build V1.02 which are in production now and due to ship to global distributors in May are more powerful than the first batch.

The next batch are 1.7x powerful at the same exact wavelength. This is due to advances in the extremely fast developing world of UVC LED technology. Think back to when LED Lights first came out for reefs! We’ve been able to implement these in V1.02. To take on our suppliers’ in-plan upgrade this we have had to do lot of rework and testing including external EMC testing. This is why it’s been out of stock.

This increased intensity reduces fluence (dose) time and increases UVC penetration. Meaning more damage, quicker. You’ll still need to do multiple long doses. It’s never going to be a point and shoot gun!

We expect the intensity to periodically increase and therefore the product range will become ever more efficient as the product matures.

All Reef Delete torches can be dismantled and updated.

Any users with V1.01 hardware can send their torch to us for a free upgrade (they just cover the shipping). We’re working on this plan and will release this later on.. should you want to!

Secondly, the button is a safety critical part of the design and although we cannot remove its implementation, we have now tried 5 other surface mount buttons and 4 different spring weights, after lots of user feedback a new lighter spring is being implemented.

Thirdly and most importantly we have a Reef Delete mount which has been designed and tested over the last few months and will be available to buy from us ready made in the near future and we will also issue the STL files as a FREE download so those of you who can, can 3D print and assemble at home with a few readily available parts!

This device (yet to come up with a cool name!) makes reaching into corners and under rocks easier but also as it uses the whole hand not just a finger for a depressing the button it makes blasting nasties even easier….

Please note if you remove a nasty and leave a blank space it will be recolonised by something and seeing as pest tend to grow faster. We have always viewed the reef delete as a maintenance tool not a tool for permanent eradication because once they’re in there.. they’re in there!

We have never shyed away from the fact that Reef Delete needs multiple doses to and some good long blasting time to work but it will work! It’s a spot control tool.. not a whole tank infestation clearer… well not yet!

We already know of future upgrades that are going to improve upon our handy pest killing tech.

Thanks for working with us - in the mean time - keep deleting! We'd love to hear your success stories so please do share!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back