Hawaiian fish ban lifted?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the 1.5" size...to get a 2" it is $300 and to get a former imported yellow is around $450-$500

The 2" is $250 US so not sure where you are getting $300 from. This is, of course, via Biota direct which is all I would recommend anyway. Currently owning several, large, fish from Biota the growth rate is such that it would be a waste of money in my opinion to pay for the extra 1/2 ". I believe they did this because some complained about the coloration of the smaller size. No other reason. My most recent fish from them, Milletseed Butterflyfish, has already doubled in size in under 3 months. When fed properly young fish grow quickly.

If one wants a yellow tang that is the going rate to obtain one via proper legal means that isn't doing a hobbyist to hobbyist sale pre ban animal. Take it or leave it.

Edit: $300 number maybe included shipping which is a valid point. I personally don't factor that in as it is what it is. I just stuff the box with more stuff to make it worth it. Having said that shipping would bump it over more than likely to the $330 range depending on local.

Trevor Paden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2" is $250 US so not sure where you are getting $300 from. This is, of course, via Biota direct which is all I would recommend anyway. Currently owning several, large, fish from Biota the growth rate is such that it would be a waste of money in my opinion to pay for the extra 1/2 ". I believe they did this because some complained about the coloration of the smaller size. No other reason. My most recent fish from them, Milletseed Butterflyfish, has already doubled in size in under 3 months. When fed properly young fish grow quickly.

If one wants a yellow tang that is the going rate to obtain one via proper legal means that isn't doing a hobbyist to hobbyist sale pre ban animal. Take it or leave it.

Edit: $300 number maybe included shipping which is a valid point. I personally don't factor that in as it is what it is. I just stuff the box with more stuff to make it worth it. Having said that shipping would bump it over more than likely to the $330 range depending on local.
I was estimating the shipping in. But yeah, post-ban fish are quite pricy in my area. I have seen individuals pay $500+ for healthy colorful yellow tangs and chevron tangs.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was estimating the shipping in. But yeah, post-ban fish are quite pricy in my area. I have seen individuals pay $500+ for healthy colorful yellow tangs and chevron tangs.

Yeah I had to go back and read my reply then thought on it a bit and said ah, shipping. I try to see both sides of the argument to be fair. How I learn, grow, etc.

Stay amazing!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at 200-250k limit on Yellows a year if permits get issued - seen both from different sources. Most of these will go to the US. Market will be different if that much supply comes. The current prices only come from the small supply, IMO.

tkong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 inch biota yellow tang never looked this good at that same size!!!!

IMG_0167.png IMG_0168.png

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back