Hawaiian fish ban lifted?

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fairly certain that my yellow tangs in my 1100 gallon tank will live a lower stress life for a lot longer than the ones in the wild
I snorkeled in Kona and around the island last year. Judging by the millions of yellow fat dinner plates laying sideways chewing away on algae like a Scottish highland cow I think yours is under fed! :)

tkong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wholeheartedly agree that wild fish will be have much better coloration and quality compared to captive bred, unless the breeders are selectively breeding for the best colors / health / shape like discus or caridinia shrimp, etc

Exoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it would be helpful if they listed the scientific names for the fish being allowed to be collected, because "Black surgeonfish" encompasses a lot of fish. Also if they meant Chevron tang they probably would've said chevron tang.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I warned people about the ban being lifted. Those who spent 500 on yellows will now regret it. I see the price at around 100 soon as those fish numbers have increased and will be exported in big quantities due to initial demand. Also I will voice my opinion that wild yellows look way more colorful the the captive bred. The yellow looks much deeper. The captive bred still look good but slightly more on the white side. Good luck to all

If people paid 500 for a wild yellow tang, they probably just wanted the tang now and didn’t want to wait for hawaii. Just like how people paid way more for new PlayStation release on eBay and even apex tridents when they first came out by resellers.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If people paid 500 for a wild yellow tang, they probably just wanted the tang now and didn’t want to wait for hawaii. Just like how people paid way more for new PlayStation release on eBay and even apex tridents when they first came out by resellers.
My kids want a PS5 for xmass. They gonna be disappointed. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

tkong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E73932EE-FD9D-42F8-BFA1-73F728AB21AD.jpeg

Don’t get me wrong. Captive breeding is great in general. And it is nice for people to have options to choose from that best fit their personal preference. I have my own biota tang that is doing great.

But I can’t help but feel like this post, accurate or not, reads off as if their bread and butter and monopoly on yellow tangs is about to be under threat. :face-with-tears-of-joy: “pls don’t wait to buy your wild yellow tangs”

Last edited:

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E73932EE-FD9D-42F8-BFA1-73F728AB21AD.jpeg

Don’t get me wrong. Captive breeding is great in general. And it is nice for people to have options to choose from that best fit their personal preference. I have my own biota tang that is doing great.

But I can’t help but feel like this post, accurate or not, reads off as if their bread and butter and monopoly on yellow tangs is about to be under threat. :face-with-tears-of-joy: “pls don’t wait to buy your wild yellow tangs”
They should be worried. And they’re wrong on the facts

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
If Biota is producing captive bred yellow tangs and they are selling for $250 retail , for a small one, I doubt a wild yellow tang is gonna be below that. The wild ones have better coloration.
Wild ones and captive bred look exactly the same once the captives grow out a bit. I swear I was against it until I saw a trio of captives grow in a friend's tank, they look the exact same

reeftwincities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of potters angels becoming available but I’ll always support captive bred if given the opportunity — ppl talk about color and it’s just one consideration (potential disease, watching “baby” fish grow) are others that lean toward captive bred imo.

RubyU235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Oahu the environmental review process hasn’t been accepted or completed so the ban will remain in effect.

Dr. Bruce Carlson who was the head of the Waikiki aquarium for over 20 years was and is in full support for the West Hawaii AQ fishery.
He even helped present the EIS to the Land Board alongside Dr Richard Pyle from the Bishop museum.

It’s discouraging when people like you don’t have a strong grasp on the facts of what’s happening yet are willing to wade into an issue that effects so many peoples lives. Be better
You really have no clue who your talking to. People like me? What exactly does that mean?

It doesn’t take a scientist, a marine biologist, or a degree in aquaculture to “have a strong grasp of the facts”.

According to you anyone except who you approve of shouldn’t comment at all on this matter.

So excuse the **** out of me for having a fond recollection of my time there as an advocate for ocean conservation.

Go “be better” by not being a massive ******* to random strangers on the internet tough guy. Blocking your rude butt.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a friend in kona, Hawaii and he said a number of permits were issued to collectors but really hasn't seen more collectors out there than before. Apparently this is a trial program and if not abused, the sate will open it up some more

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You really have no clue who your talking to. People like me? What exactly does that mean?

It doesn’t take a scientist, a marine biologist, or a degree in aquaculture to “have a strong grasp of the facts”.

According to you anyone except who you approve of shouldn’t comment at all on this matter.

So excuse the **** out of me for having a fond recollection of my time there as an advocate for ocean conservation.

Go “be better” by not being a massive ******* to random strangers on the internet tough guy. Blocking your rude butt.
I'm kind of fond of @Kona Diver (I don't know him really.) I do share much of his "grasp of the facts" on this issue and also appreciate your reply to his statements, Made me laugh and I am still smiling, thanks!

I don't want to stir up the ocean of opinions and the State of Hawaii has a lot of passionate people demanding their views be applied as the ruling facts for fisheries decisions. I can see how the conversation at their Fisheries Commission meetings would be a sad place to have to make decisions for the good of the public and the resources. Hopefully they will make the right decisions for both interests but certainly not everyone will be happy with whatever they rule.

We can all do better at giving respect to the resources
Art Love GIF by dualvoidanima
Pbs Nature Ocean GIF by Nature on PBS
Spongebob Squarepants GIF by INTO ACTION
Beach Hair Flip GIF by nikitaylorinc
and all the different people who use it respectfully.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend in kona, Hawaii and he said a number of permits were issued to collectors but really hasn't seen more collectors out there than before. Apparently this is a trial program and if not abused, the sate will open it up some more
Sounds like higher prices to me!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Vetteguy...
Not sure who your friend is but that is totally incorrect. No permits have been issued, yet. Stay tuned friend

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey Vetteguy...
Not sure who your friend is but that is totally incorrect. No permits have been issued, yet. Stay tuned friend
Hmmm- He is on a military base . I just messaged him and he said they are collecting off west Hawaii but as of today (here is link ):

Judge lifts injunction prohibiting aquarium fish permits off Big Island’s west coast​

January 30, 2023 · 6:59 PM CST
twitter sharing button

email sharing button

sharethis sharing button

linkedin sharing button

Listen to this Article
3 minutes

A
A
A

File photo of tropical fish
Hawaiʻi Circuit Court Judge Jeffrey P. Crabtree today lifted an injunction that prohibited the issuance or renewal of aquarium fish permits to commercial collectors in the West Hawai‘i Regional Fishery Management Area.
In 2017, the state Supreme Court unanimously ordered a stop to commercial collection of aquarium fish in Hawaiʻi pending an environmental review.
An injunction on issuing or renewing aquarium fish permits in the rest of the state remains in effect.
The injunction, in the Umberger v. Department of Land & Natural Resources case filed by opponents of commercial aquarium fishing in 2012, was lifted because an environmental review pursuant to the Hawaiʻi Environmental Policy Act is complete for the West Hawaiʻi management area, according to a press release from the state Department of Land and Natural Resources.
Aquarium fishing in West Hawai‘i is not allowed simply because the injunction has been lifted, said lead counsel for the state, Deputy Attorney General Melissa Goldman, during the hearing.
The state Department of Land and Natural Resources said it has not considered or issued any aquarium fishing permits for the West Hawaiʻi management area.
The West Hawaiʻi Regional Fishery Management Area is marked in gray. Map: Hawaiʻi State Division of Aquatic Resources

This management area extends along the west coast of the Island of Hawaiʻi from Ka Lae, Ka‘ū (South Point) to ‘Upolu Point, North Kohala and from the high-water mark on shore seaward to the limit of the state’s management authority, which extends to 3 miles offshore.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back