Hawaiian fish ban lifted?

RubyU235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lived in Hawaii from 2010-2013. There were only a couple of tropical fish stores. The best one was in pearl city. I could get yellow tangs for $25 and all those other fish for around the same price. I also had a recreational catch permit so I could take fish from the ocean (if I could catch them) as long as I returned them when I tore my tank down.

I was also a docent at the Waikiki aquarium and am still best friends with someone who used to be their lead aquarist. if you didn’t know it… yellow tangs are a signal of a healthy reef eco system and marine biologists count them at different locations periodically. On Oahu their reefs close to the island are abysmal. Partly because of tourism and largely because of the way islands are formed and erode over time.

I am personally sad that they lifted these bans but glad these fish will become more available to hobbyists.

please… if you do get one of these… treat it and all of your other fish with great respect.

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lived in Hawaii from 2010-2013. There were only a couple of tropical fish stores. The best one was in pearl city. I could get yellow tangs for $25 and all those other fish for around the same price. I also had a recreational catch permit so I could take fish from the ocean (if I could catch them) as long as I returned them when I tore my tank down.

I was also a docent at the Waikiki aquarium and am still best friends with someone who used to be their lead aquarist. if you didn’t know it… yellow tangs are a signal of a healthy reef eco system and marine biologists count them at different locations periodically. On Oahu their reefs close to the island are abysmal. Partly because of tourism and largely because of the way islands are formed and erode over time.

I am personally sad that they lifted these bans but glad these fish will become more available to hobbyists.

please… if you do get one of these… treat it and all of your other fish with great respect.
In Oahu the environmental review process hasn’t been accepted or completed so the ban will remain in effect. Dr. Bruce Carlson who was the head of the Waikiki aquarium for over 20 years was and is in full support for the West Hawaii AQ fishery. He even helped present the EIS to the Land Board alongside Dr Richard Pyle from the Bishop museum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who wouldn’t be excited. Although only a certain amount of permits are being issued- this past action will raise prices drastically and I hate to see the price of Achilles, potters and certain wrasses
We only proposed 8 species in the review process and we based this decision on a multitude of factors. Unfortunately, Achilles didn’t make the list because their overall population isn’t trending upwards nor is it robust.

I’ll say this to everyone here: when we do begin fishing the price to the end consumer will be dramatically less than market price currently. It won’t be as cheap as they were, but the fish will be affordable again. This hobby has become too expensive and we would like to see our fish made available for the common person to cherish and enjoy

Reef Maniacs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do think the price will come down once the hype is over and the void is filled but like said above gone are the days of normal prices. Plus the new restrictions will put a limit on what they can harvest and the restrictions on the species they can collect will bring up the pricing as they will still need to meet annual running costs.

Reef Maniacs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you think until we start seeing Hawaiian Yellow Tangs at our LFS?
well they would have to start setting up the catch stations again I would hope most the infrastructure is still in place. So I would hope once they have the official go ahead about 8 weeks from then. So hopefully early next year.

Last edited:

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only Yellow tangs, Kole tangs, Orangespine unicornfish, Potter’s angelfish, Brown surgeonfish, Thompson’s surgeonfish, Black surgeonfish, and Bird wrasse would be allowed to be collected, under the new plan. That means no Bandit angels, no Hawaiian Flame angels, Jordan’s wrasses, Hawaiian Achilles tangs, or many other popular Hawaiian endemics.

Does Black Surgeonfish mean that the Chevron tang will be back? Or do they mean another tang?
@Kona Diver

Reef Maniacs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys any advice is greatly helpful. I have someone commenting on my video that is part of the research team that was against the lifting on the band do I reply or just leave it?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys any advice is greatly helpful. I have someone commenting on my video that is part of the research team that was against the lifting on the band do I reply or just leave it?

Just turn off commenting for the video. I noticed this is basically done on every controversial subject.

Last edited:

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you touch the stupid be sure to wash your hands.
You can tell it's a scientist because it mentions rhinos and covid. Real scientists are always rambling about stuff that has nothing to do with the point being made.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YESSSSSS SHIP ME MY POTTERS ANGEL NOW
a-juvenile-reef-fish-example-potters-angelfish-20150715-104417.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the fishery actually begun to open? The only article I've seen just says the EIS was approved after being submitted, but that it is being challenged:

The agency charged with protecting the state’s natural resources has approved an environmental impact statement supporting the harvesting of tropical fish for the aquarium industry despite ongoing litigation over the issue.

At the request of Suzanne Case, chairwoman of the Board of Land and Natural Resources, the state published the final EIS in the Oct. 8 issue of The Environmental Notice, stating that the EIS is deemed statutorily approved because the Land Board, as the approving agency, did not make a determination within the 30 days allotted by law.

The board last year deadlocked 3-3 on the revised EIS submitted by the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council. A representative could not be reached for comment by press-time Tuesday.

The revised EIS maintained the group’s preference for an alternative that cuts the number of commercial aquarium fishing permits issued in the West Hawaii Regional Fishery Management Area from 10 to seven and reduces the allowable commercial catch from 40 to eight species. The fishery management area spans the entire coastline of West Hawaii, from Upolu Point in North Kohala to Ka Lae (South Point) in Ka‘u.

Only yellow tang, kole, orangespine unicornfish, potter’s angelfish, brown surgeonfish, Thompson’s surgeonfish, black surgeonfish and bird wrasse would be allowed to be taken, under the plan.

Earthjustice subsequently filed a lawsuit challenging acceptance of the EIS on behalf of a coalition of conservation groups, Native Hawaiian fishermen and cultural practitioners.

It was filed on behalf of Willie Kaupiko, a former member of the West Hawaii Fisheries Council and a longtime konohiki (caretaker) of the fisheries fronting Milolii Village; Kaimi Kaupiko, a Native Hawaiian cultural practitioner and subsistence fisherman; Mike Nakachi, a cultural practitioner who leads scuba diving tours; For the Fishes, a nonprofit committed to reef ecosystems; the nonprofit Center for Biological Diversity and Kai Palaoa, an unincorporated association of Native Hawaiian religious and cultural practitioners that practice, preserve and perpetuate Hawaiian religious beliefs and practices associated with the ocean deity Kanaloa.

“Under this deeply flawed EIS, the aquarium trade could still degrade and further threaten Hawaii’s reefs and thus harm the people who depend upon them in so many ways,” Renee Umberger, founder and executive director of For the Fishes, said Monday.

An Oahu Circuit Court judge subsequently denied the group’s motion for summary judgment and on Sept. 12, issued a final judgment upholding the state agency’s approval. The plaintiffs subsequently filed an appeal.

“The fact that an appeal has been filed, by itself, does not affect the status of the (EIS), which acceptance has been upheld by the Circuit Court of the First Circuit,” Case said in her Oct. 3 letter to the Environmental Review Program in the state Office of Planning.

Umberger, however, maintains that just accepting the EIS doesn’t mean issuance of permits and fish collection can begin.

“The document published in The Environmental Notice of the ‘acceptance’ was procedural, but also perhaps premature, since Earthjustice filed our notice of appeal last month, as well,” Umberger said. “The denial of our (motion for summary judgment) did not lift the injunction which remains in place until further order from the court.”

Reef Maniacs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the fishery actually begun to open? The only article I've seen just says the EIS was approved after being submitted, but that it is being challenged:

The agency charged with protecting the state’s natural resources has approved an environmental impact statement supporting the harvesting of tropical fish for the aquarium industry despite ongoing litigation over the issue.

At the request of Suzanne Case, chairwoman of the Board of Land and Natural Resources, the state published the final EIS in the Oct. 8 issue of The Environmental Notice, stating that the EIS is deemed statutorily approved because the Land Board, as the approving agency, did not make a determination within the 30 days allotted by law.

The board last year deadlocked 3-3 on the revised EIS submitted by the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council. A representative could not be reached for comment by press-time Tuesday.

The revised EIS maintained the group’s preference for an alternative that cuts the number of commercial aquarium fishing permits issued in the West Hawaii Regional Fishery Management Area from 10 to seven and reduces the allowable commercial catch from 40 to eight species. The fishery management area spans the entire coastline of West Hawaii, from Upolu Point in North Kohala to Ka Lae (South Point) in Ka‘u.

Only yellow tang, kole, orangespine unicornfish, potter’s angelfish, brown surgeonfish, Thompson’s surgeonfish, black surgeonfish and bird wrasse would be allowed to be taken, under the plan.

Earthjustice subsequently filed a lawsuit challenging acceptance of the EIS on behalf of a coalition of conservation groups, Native Hawaiian fishermen and cultural practitioners.

It was filed on behalf of Willie Kaupiko, a former member of the West Hawaii Fisheries Council and a longtime konohiki (caretaker) of the fisheries fronting Milolii Village; Kaimi Kaupiko, a Native Hawaiian cultural practitioner and subsistence fisherman; Mike Nakachi, a cultural practitioner who leads scuba diving tours; For the Fishes, a nonprofit committed to reef ecosystems; the nonprofit Center for Biological Diversity and Kai Palaoa, an unincorporated association of Native Hawaiian religious and cultural practitioners that practice, preserve and perpetuate Hawaiian religious beliefs and practices associated with the ocean deity Kanaloa.

“Under this deeply flawed EIS, the aquarium trade could still degrade and further threaten Hawaii’s reefs and thus harm the people who depend upon them in so many ways,” Renee Umberger, founder and executive director of For the Fishes, said Monday.

An Oahu Circuit Court judge subsequently denied the group’s motion for summary judgment and on Sept. 12, issued a final judgment upholding the state agency’s approval. The plaintiffs subsequently filed an appeal.

“The fact that an appeal has been filed, by itself, does not affect the status of the (EIS), which acceptance has been upheld by the Circuit Court of the First Circuit,” Case said in her Oct. 3 letter to the Environmental Review Program in the state Office of Planning.

Umberger, however, maintains that just accepting the EIS doesn’t mean issuance of permits and fish collection can begin.

“The document published in The Environmental Notice of the ‘acceptance’ was procedural, but also perhaps premature, since Earthjustice filed our notice of appeal last month, as well,” Umberger said. “The denial of our (motion for summary judgment) did not lift the injunction which remains in place until further order from the court.”
I dont think its is open as of yet but the agency that protects Hawaii’s natural resources approved an Environmental Impact Statement on October 8th allowing the harvesting of saltwater fish for aquariums

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure that Potters Angel was a good choice for collection, since most people don’t seem to be able to keep it alive for more than a few months.

Captive bred efforts being made, hopefully success will happen soon.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back