Hawaiian fish ban lifted?

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all knew it was a waiting game, once the administration got voted out after imposing such restrictions immediately after taking office!

I hope nobody was holding onto yellow tangs trying to price gouge people as they are about to loose a ton of cash!

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope nobody was holding onto yellow tangs trying to price gouge people as they are about to loose a ton of cash!
I’ll be happy to see lower prices, but I don’t expect that lower price to be anywhere close to the ‘old’ prices.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Biota is producing captive bred yellow tangs and they are selling for $250 retail , for a small one, I doubt a wild yellow tang is gonna be below that. The wild ones have better coloration.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If Biota is producing captive bred yellow tangs and they are selling for $250 retail , for a small one, I doubt a wild yellow tang is gonna be below that. The wild ones have better coloration.
$165 for small from Biota

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who wouldn’t be excited. Although only a certain amount of permits are being issued- this past action will raise prices drastically and I hate to see the price of Achilles, potters and certain wrasses
Won’t see the price of Achilles or other wrasse as they won’t be collected. All rubbish

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Won’t see the price of Achilles or other wrasse as they won’t be collected. All rubbish
Rubbish?
They wont be collected why the price will only go up- Right now Achilles are going from $500-800 and will only get higher du to no relief from collection

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other fish can’t be collected so price can’t go up if not for sale. The Achilles being collected other areas so price may go up. Rubbish in what goes on. Non of it for the better of fish, coral or people. That’s all

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think most see captive as babies and no color. Proper diet and healthy they should look great. That said I like wild fish

I agree - that is why I asked. The issue is that someone sees that and then continues to post similar statements and before we know it - it is fact. Sadly.

Personal preference wild vs captive bred/raise is different and I'll stay out of that one if you don't mind ;)

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - that is why I asked. The issue is that someone sees that and then continues to post similar statements and before we know it - it is fact. Sadly.

Personal preference wild vs captive bred/raise is different and I'll stay out of that one if you don't mind ;)
I hear a lot of lfs say that captive don’t have color. I ask them how they say that and they all compare to young ones but yet they never saw a young wild one. People grab that and spread it around. Not that they mean wrong just what happens. Hey maybe captive are less colorful but the couple I saw grew up bright yellow and blend with wild caught. If you didn’t ask then info that may or not be right gets passed around. We are always here looking to learn something new

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DB077F1D-C791-4715-BCD1-8B411C474E41.jpeg
$165 on Biota for 1 1/4”. Liveaquaria $250 but not in stock. I have no side by side proof, but I’ve bought wild ones at 1 1/4”in the past that are solid yellow with no transparency. Notice the small print underneath, “Please Note”. “Variations within species”? You can believe the wild ones are varied if you want. I believe the variations in coloration are something that professional breeders haven’t been able to figure out and hopefully will. Possibly related to early larval nutrition, or an essential natural food in the wild ones. It’s only been about 4 years since the captive bred success in yellow tangs. The one in the picture has beautiful color. We don’t know if it’s wild or captive bred. They won’t advertise with a WYSIWYG dull transparent looking fish right? But they do add , “Please Note”.

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DB077F1D-C791-4715-BCD1-8B411C474E41.jpeg
$165 on Biota for 1 1/4”. Liveaquaria $250 but not in stock. I have no side by side proof, but I’ve bought wild ones at 1 1/4”in the past that are solid yellow with no transparency. Notice the small print underneath, “Please Note”. “Variations within species”? You can believe the wild ones are varied if you want. I believe the variations in coloration are something that professional breeders haven’t been able to figure out and hopefully will. Possibly related to early larval nutrition, or an essential natural food in the wild ones. It’s only been about 4 years since the captive bred success in yellow tangs.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to show but it is not showing a captive bred yellow vs wild in the same display. I'll provide an example for you below. Aside from that one must know coloration will evolve as the fish matures. I see it in my gold lines rabbit fish, matted filefish, radial filefish, starry goby, links goby, and pink square anthias. It is actually amazing to watch.

Here is a side by side according to the members post (post 63):

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hawaiian wild one looks similar to older/well cared for captive adults I have seen. My wild one even has the tiniest scar left of HLLE - It came in with HLLE from the wild/wholesaler to the LFS and even an eye infection. It 99% healed up except for that tiny scar. It came skinny to the LFS so seems it was probably not well cared for in transport/wholesaler.

Edit: Biota cares for their fish a lot better then wholesalers but perhaps now that yellow tangs are $$$$, wilds will get better care. Cheap fish isn't always what is best for the fish.

Last edited:

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be happy to see lower prices, but I don’t expect that lower price to be anywhere close to the ‘old’ prices.
I don’t think you will see them old prices on the yellow tangs for example. They became a must have fish for most everyone back in the day because of color and price. If anything they may be near the same as captive bred yellow tangs .

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the price will be as cheap as they used to be. However, I don't see them being much higher. I say give it a year for a market to settle and you will see it around $60-70. No, i don't have any documents to back this up, just a guess.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really don’t see the days of yore coming back. Just a different world and economy. Quality stock at a fair price is ideal but will have to see where the market trends once supply is reintroduced.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think the price will be as cheap as they used to be. However, I don't see them being much higher. I say give it a year for a market to settle and you will see it around $60-70. No, i don't have any documents to back this up, just a guess.
I’m thinking $100 just a guess. Make friends with an importer fast. Lol

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were already $60 before the ban due to shipping/economy/COVID.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back