Hawk fish and shrimps?

Kiwi369

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm quite obsessed with the longnose hawkfish. I saw it a the store, and I love how these little fish really have their own personality.
Only one tiny problem. I currently have one cleaner shrimp, and I'm planning on adding another one (I've got the feeling he's a bit lonely, poor fella)
Having a pistol shrimp and a goby was also on my list.
So now my question goes, can Hawkfish go with shrimps? I've heard stories where they ate them, or do I just need to make sure to buy the shrimps big enough?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm quite obsessed with the longnose hawkfish. I saw it a the store, and I love how these little fish really have their own personality.
Only one tiny problem. I currently have one cleaner shrimp, and I'm planning on adding another one (I've got the feeling he's a bit lonely, poor fella)
Having a pistol shrimp and a goby was also on my list.
So now my question goes, can Hawkfish go with shrimps? I've heard stories where they ate them, or do I just need to make sure to buy the shrimps big enough?

your one shrimp is fine by itself, shrimp don't need shrimp friends...

Possible hawkfish might eat your shrimp, but possible might not (for a while/years). Usually everything is fine right up until it is not, so then swivel to make it better. If *you* want both then I vote go for it.

If the shrimp gets eaten, then expensive test. Hawkfish have so much personality I'd risk it... in fact typing this I'm talking myself into putting hawkfish back on my fish list as its been many years since last I had one.

Once caution with hawkfish is their love of perching. Always know where your hawkfish is sitting before you turn your pumps back on ... wouldn't recommend hawkfish if you use tank automation on pumps and have pumps go all the way down to 0% (off) at any part of any cycle/setups.

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Longnose is definitely a gorgeous fish, as well as model reef citizen. My LH has been with a skunk cleaner for quite some time, and they're rarely apart by more than a fish length. With that said, others have had a far different experience. My skunk was introduced first to reduce the risk of territorial issues and the feeding instinct, which I think is key. Just know, if the Hawk gets hungry enough I'd put my money on the skunk becoming a meal.
PXL_20210619_200858292-01.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kiwi369

Kiwi369

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Possible hawkfish might eat your shrimp, but possible might not (for a while/years). Usually everything is fine right up until it is not, so then swivel to make it better. If *you* want both then I vote go for it.

If the shrimp gets eaten, then expensive test. Hawkfish have so much personality I'd risk it... in fact typing this I'm talking myself into putting hawkfish back on my fish list as its been many years since last I had one.
Thanks for the reply, both of you.
I thought that Shrimp would get more active once they're in pairs? They can be kept alone, but it will workout better with two. I really like cleaner shrimp, he always cleans my hand if I'm cleaning or putting a coral right. So I was planning on puting a second one anyways

But thanks again. I will make sure to look into it a bit more. I feed quite a lot and have my own Artemia breeding thing so I feed life food regularly. So I don't think hunger will be a problem.

Would it help to buy bigger shrimp? And making sure the shrimp I want (I was thinking about peppermint shrimp if I ever get Aiptasia.) are in the aquarium before the hawkfish?
I'm afraid he's gonna think it's food if I add the shrimp in the tank while he's in it.

OP
OP
Kiwi369

Kiwi369

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current cleaner shrimp is almost fullgrown, so I'm willing to take that risk. And I'll make sure to have big enough shrimp when the Longnose arrives.

But i'ts not gonna happen in a long time, not until my new tank is up and running =D

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought that Shrimp would get more active once they're in pairs? They can be kept alone, but it will workout better with two. I really like cleaner shrimp, he always cleans my hand if I'm cleaning or putting a coral right. So I was planning on puting a second one anyways
If you have a shy cleaner shrimp, a second one usually makes them feel more relaxed and comfortable. They do enjoy being in pairs and can become much more bold.

GL with the Longnose if you get one.

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame hawkfish but it comes with a similar caution as others have mentioned. He's been in there for some time with a pair of blood shrimp and a tiger pistol. No issues yet but if it happens it happens. I don't think I'd want to go without one in the tank though, they're very fun fish!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame hawkfish but it comes with a similar caution as others have mentioned. He's been in there for some time with a pair of blood shrimp and a tiger pistol. No issues yet but if it happens it happens. I don't think I'd want to go without one in the tank though, they're very fun fish!
I bought mine a ledge (frag rack) a few weeks back and he's been super-stoked ever since. He likes resting high up on the ledge so he can survey the landscape (and me). Dinner time - always so important!

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a long nose with two cleaner shrimp. No problem with them, but the long nose started getting aggressive with other fish. Had to go.

Currently have a flame hawk with two cleaners. No problem. My pair seem to stick together 24 hours a day. I'm a believer of pairing things when possible.

dking271

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Hawkfish can and will most likely go after the shrimp at some point. It might be hours, days, weeks, or years. My Flame Hawk took out my blood red cleaner after a molt which was a bummer, but having a hawk was a must. Also, I had a pistol shrimp that took out a cleaner shrimp. Like someone has said it usually works until it doesn’t, which is why I try to avoid compatibility issues. An extremely large tank would help to mitigate the risk enough for me to try.

OP
OP
Kiwi369

Kiwi369

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm just gonna try and see what happens. It would be pretty unfortunate if I lost my shrimp, but that's the risk you have with everything. I've also got a damsel in my tank. And he's not that aggressive atm. But it could be that he tries dominating the rest of the tank tomorrow morning.
And I think the personality of the hawk fish would really make up for it.

I am going to try to pair my current shrimp. He's quite shy. But that also could be because he was on low energy cause of a parasite (isopod) he had a while ago. He's been more active. He's quite the character though. He always hides between the stones (always the same spot) the moment a stranger (not me, could be my mom or anything) is near the aquarium. But if I'm standing up close to the aquarium he always sits on the overflow waiting for me to feed him. He's most active on Saturdays, waiting for me to feed them Lobster eggs, his favourite dish, I only feed that in the weekend haha.
But for the rest, he's quite timid.

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Once caution with hawkfish is their love of perching. Always know where your hawkfish is sitting before you turn your pumps back on ... wouldn't recommend hawkfish if you use tank automation on pumps and have pumps go all the way down to 0% (off) at any part of any cycle/setups.
I have a flame hawkfish and a ywg and pistol pair. The flame has so much personality i risked it. They are all doing great. The pistol comes out when everyone sleeping. And if he does come out in the day the goby is always protecting him. I feed him enough where he doesn't even nip at my snails.

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame hawkfish and a ywg and pistol pair. The flame has so much personality i risked it. They are all doing great. The pistol comes out when everyone sleeping. And if he does come out in the day the goby is always protecting him. I feed him enough where he doesn't even nip at my snails.
Agreed. I honestly attribute my success with the situation to daily feeding and keeping the flame fat and happy on food that isn't expensive decorative shrimp. That and the hawkfish is still pretty little and the shrimp are full grown. It very well might just be a matter of time. ;Nailbiting

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I honestly attribute my success with the situation to daily feeding and keeping the flame fat and happy on food that isn't expensive decorative shrimp.
I think that goes with just about any fish that you have to be "CAUTIOUS" with. They won't have an appetite for anything if they have no appetite. But if you're feeding at different times. Not enough they're going to try things in the tank.

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that goes with just about any fish that you have to be "CAUTIOUS" with. They won't have an appetite for anything if they have no appetite. But if you're feeding at different times. Not enough they're going to try things in the tank.
Completely agreed! I used to have a lot of problems with tangs eating things they shouldn't until I learned to just gorge them constantly on nori/frozen. They're still pretty ornery towards other fish though.

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely agreed! I used to have a lot of problems with tangs eating things they shouldn't until I learned to just gorge them constantly on nori/frozen. They're still pretty ornery towards other fish though.
This my first tank but i think i been doing great so far. I try to stay away from anything that might be potential danger to anything i have in the tank. Like i won't get a fish that's going to nip at any of my corals cuz I'll go in that tank and start fighting someone

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 80 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back