IMG_20190909_205045.jpg
Looks incredible, Jay!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally have the APEX hooked up and working, I have a few more teeks to make and a couple more things to add then I'll connect the dosing equipment and try to figure that mess out. Thanks for the offer to help @Scurvy it is greatly appreciated!

The Hydra
52 is mounted, now I have GREAT coverage throughout the entire tank. What a huge difference that made. My diy mounting method isn't pretty but you can't tell when the canopy's on. :D

I ordered a kessil A80 for my wife's new RFA tank, eta Thursday, I'm excited because it's a surprise! I have to figure out a new top since the stock lid is going bye bye. Lid ideas are welcome! Fluval Flex 9 gallon. Once the lights are in @Katrina71 we will shoot you a couple pics. The stock lights in that unit are horrible. Be looking for another build thread in a few days. Thanks @Ron Reefman for discussing your experiances, tips and tricks with us!

Lights going down...
IMG_20190909_205045.jpg

Nice... OK, great looking tank Jay! How many gallons is that? I have a friend who had (yes, past tense) half round acrylic tank. I think they are very cool! ;Photogenic

You are more than welcome for the RFA tips. I think they are my favorite animal right now. In part because they can breed in my tank and create new colors and patterns in the kids! I'm hoping to get @SymbiontSam and maybe even Colin Foord involved here at R2R. Both are marine biologists and Samuel is doing his doctoral work on anemones. He's visiting in Florida and is stopping by our house tomorrow. I'll see if I can't bribe him into doing more info sharing here.

@saltyhog & @Katrina71 , thanks for the tips on lids. I'm going to need one for my new tank as well. ;)

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ron Reefman just to give you a hard time and to answer your 1st question, what is the name of this thread? ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Yuck

@Fudsey, you expect me to use my valuable time to scroll up to the top of the page to look at the name of a thread? ;Hilarious:eek:;Stop;Smuggrin

OK, I was in a hurry and I didn't look. I guess I should start watching some of the build threads more... except @Katrina71 build. It grows so fast I'd spend an hour every time I log on just to get caught up! ;Wideyed

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ron Reefman just to give you a hard time and to answer your 1st question, what is the name of this thread? ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Yuck
Iol! I wasn't going to go there! Way to step up to the plate! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally have the APEX hooked up and working, I have a few more teeks to make and a couple more things to add then I'll connect the dosing equipment and try to figure that mess out. Thanks for the offer to help @Scurvy it is greatly appreciated!

The Hydra
52 is mounted, now I have GREAT coverage throughout the entire tank. What a huge difference that made. My diy mounting method isn't pretty but you can't tell when the canopy's on. :D

I ordered a kessil A80 for my wife's new RFA tank, eta Thursday, I'm excited because it's a surprise! I have to figure out a new top since the stock lid is going bye bye. Lid ideas are welcome! Fluval Flex 9 gallon. Once the lights are in @Katrina71 we will shoot you a couple pics. The stock lights in that unit are horrible. Be looking for another build thread in a few days. Thanks @Ron Reefman for discussing your experiances, tips and tricks with us!

Lights going down...
IMG_20190909_205045.jpg

Nice work! That tank looks "lit". Haha. So bright now. Sps gonna be doing the macarena!

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you experienced coral folks. I have been manually dosing and getting ready to monitor my daily usage to set up my dosing pumps. Since I inherited all of the dosing equipment and had left over dosing chemicals on my coral haul, I decided to keep using what my neighbor was using on all these corals. My question is - calcium reactor vs dosing. Which is the better method? Is it a wash? Is one easier than the other? Educate a new to corals guy.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you experienced coral folks. I have been manually dosing and getting ready to monitor my daily usage to set up my dosing pumps. Since I inherited all of the dosing equipment and had left over dosing chemicals on my coral haul, I decided to keep using what my neighbor was using on all these corals. My question is - calcium reactor vs dosing. Which is the better method? Is it a wash? Is one easier than the other? Educate a new to corals guy.

I have been researching this exact concept heavily the last 2 weeks. I have found that a perfectly tuned Ca Reactor that is fit for your level of consumption is the best option. But many dont want to replumb a manifold, dont have space, or dont want to buy an addition pump to run it.

I am curious to the opinions for coming to add to my research :)

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching this exact concept heavily the last 2 weeks. I have found that a perfectly tuned Ca Reactor that is fit for your level of consumption is the best option. But many dont want to replumb a manifold, dont have space, or dont want to buy an addition pump to run it.

I am curious to the opinions for coming to add to my research :)
Im using this product, it seems easy to measure and use. His corals were super healthy when I got them so I was leaning towards if it isn't broke don't fix it. But I'm all about easy...

IMG_20190913_173819.jpg

Back