Head pressure loss

jeffmr4

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 4, 2016
Messages
197
Reaction score
73
Location
U.S.
What state or country do you live in
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a 10 gallon tank 24 x 10 x 10 and am setting up a sump with it using the eshopps cube refugium nano, a cpr return jet and an eshopps pf-nano overflow box. The pump in the sump will be a sicce 1.5 which puts out 357 gph. I am using the 3 foot long 1" diameter flex hose to connect to the eshopps pf-nano overflow box and 4 feet of 1/2" tubing to connect the pump to the return jet.
The stand that the tank sits on may not accomodate the weight of both the 13 gallon sump and 10 gallon tank; I'm not sure how I would connect the 3 foot drain tube to the tank if it were directly under the tank as I would only need 14" of it (and don't have the plumbing know-how to cut it and find a way of joining the ribbed tubing with some pvc pipe); and I think it will be easier to maintenance if it is off to the side as compared to under the tank where there is little room. For these reasons I am putting it off to the side.
My questions are how much head pressure will be lost from the pump pumping at a 45 degree angle and will the overflow and return flow balance out so the water going to and coming from the sump is in equilibrium.
Thanks for any help.
 
If your only talking four feet from return pump to tank, I would not sweat it. 357 would turn that tank over many times an hour. Even if it went down to 200 gph it would still turn that little 10 gallon over 20 times an hour. I think you'll be fine. Especially if you put a small pump in the tank for circulation. My only concern is how big the hole is in the overflow. Being how small the return pump is, I dont think it would overwhelm the overflow. If it did, you could check the specs on your pump and see if it would be ok to put a gate valve on the return line to throttle back the flow a little.
 
Last edited:

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new