OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it started on the left side yesterday, right side was nice and open, and today the right side looks like this

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it stay withdrawn?

unfortunately I'm at work during the day so I cannot comment on that. it used to start closing right about the time I come home as my light is ramping down. I am home early tomorrow and can see. should I hold off on the dip?

it has been like this since I came home though

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about pH buffer for the dip. Use RO water. Place in separate tank for a week. If unable to provide adequate second tank, then place on new/different substrate on opposite side of tank.

per Orionn (se sticky above):

FWD for 30 minutes and transfer to a new tank, free of PMD, is effective in the treatment for PMD. Fresh water need to be brought up to around tank temperature. I did this by but the water in milk plastic container and drop it into the sump for at least 15 minutes until needed. Place the water in a suitable container and place the clam in it for 30 minutes. Aeration is not needed. I used RO water use but essentially any fresh water without chlorine or toxin will do. Once, I advise the owner of Fishland, a LFS in Houston, on treatment of his PMD infected clam. Andy just put his sick clam from the reef aquarium to one of his fresh water aquarium for 30 minutes and then moves him to another reef aquarium. This cure the clam and he sold this beautiful Ultra Maxima, later that week, healthy and disease free.
I do have a word of caution regarding using FWD to treat PMD in clams. This treatment will only work if the disease is diagnosed correctly and the clam is still strong enough to tolerate treatment. PMD kills slowly. The parasite load increase, and cover more of the mantel causing irritation to the mantel of the clam resulting in contraction, thus starving of the clam. Anything that irritates the mantle will result in retraction. Therefore, just because the mantle is retracted does not automatically mean that the clam has PMD. FWD is still the only treatment for PMD that is effective.
The clam need to be place in a tank that is free of PMD in order for treatment to be most effective. However, from observation, I can deduce that the pathogen of this disease is an obligate parasite and cannot live for long without the host. Back in 2002, my Gigas was about 16 inches, I was not able to have a disease free tank for him. I moved all my clams to one side of my 8 foot tank for a few days, then I treated all my clams at once and place them back on the other side of the tank. This step cure my tank of the disease.

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see its on a clam saddle. Submerge the saddle too if the clam is attached. I like to gently scrub the clam shell with a toothbrush and freshwater as well. If the clam is separate from the saddle, I would boil the saddle for about 15 minutes in freshwater, let it sit for another 15 minutes in the hot water, and you can reuse it after it cools.

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about pH buffer for the dip. Use RO water. Place in separate tank for a week. If unable to provide adequate second tank, then place on new/different substrate on opposite side of tank.

per Orionn (se sticky above):

FWD for 30 minutes and transfer to a new tank, free of PMD, is effective in the treatment for PMD. Fresh water need to be brought up to around tank temperature. I did this by but the water in milk plastic container and drop it into the sump for at least 15 minutes until needed. Place the water in a suitable container and place the clam in it for 30 minutes. Aeration is not needed. I used RO water use but essentially any fresh water without chlorine or toxin will do. Once, I advise the owner of Fishland, a LFS in Houston, on treatment of his PMD infected clam. Andy just put his sick clam from the reef aquarium to one of his fresh water aquarium for 30 minutes and then moves him to another reef aquarium. This cure the clam and he sold this beautiful Ultra Maxima, later that week, healthy and disease free.
I do have a word of caution regarding using FWD to treat PMD in clams. This treatment will only work if the disease is diagnosed correctly and the clam is still strong enough to tolerate treatment. PMD kills slowly. The parasite load increase, and cover more of the mantel causing irritation to the mantel of the clam resulting in contraction, thus starving of the clam. Anything that irritates the mantle will result in retraction. Therefore, just because the mantle is retracted does not automatically mean that the clam has PMD. FWD is still the only treatment for PMD that is effective.
The clam need to be place in a tank that is free of PMD in order for treatment to be most effective. However, from observation, I can deduce that the pathogen of this disease is an obligate parasite and cannot live for long without the host. Back in 2002, my Gigas was about 16 inches, I was not able to have a disease free tank for him. I moved all my clams to one side of my 8 foot tank for a few days, then I treated all my clams at once and place them back on the other side of the tank. This step cure my tank of the disease.

well too late on the buffer as i already added it lol. i do have another tank right beside this one, but its only 5G and the lighting is very different and probably not enough. its also not super stable in terms of params, dont really want to risk it.

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so one problem i see already as im dipping is that it is very tightly closed, i dont think the freshwater can read the clam??

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep the clam was clammed up completely after a few minutes in the water. I'm doubtful if it actually did any good

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so it does seem to have helped a bit already, it's lights out now but there is more extension already. hopefully it's enough.

when can I dip again if I need to? 48 hours from now? 1 week?

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20191231_154637.jpg

wow it's definitely much better now.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back