wow it's definitely much better now.
Nice dude sweet recovery! Very hopeful for you. Close out 2019 like a Boss

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad that FWD seem to help with your clam. Please keep us update.
For PMD, FWD is incredibly effective, however the disease must be diagnose correctly and the clam must be healthy enough to tolerate FWD.

If you don't have another tank to put the newly treat clam, I would put it farther way from the old place and other diseased clams as possible

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I did not think your clams was infected with PMD. Maybe something were irritated it. PMD never initially affect the whole mantle over a few days.

This is NOT PMD
From this:
img_20191221_122504-jpg.1338996

To this in 7-10 days
img_20191230_174555-jpg.1350973

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you say for certain it is not PMD? None of us truly know unless you can take a sample from the mantles tissue. The freshwater dip obviously worked so how can you say it wasn't some form of perkinsus? Anyway, I'm just happy the clam looks much better for the OP and hope it continues to grow.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you say for certain it is not PMD? None of us truly know unless you can take a sample from the mantles tissue. The freshwater dip obviously worked so how can you say it wasn't some form of perkinsus? Anyway, I'm just happy the clam looks much better for the OP and hope it continues to grow.
The progression of the disease is not PMD as I know it. I think the hypothesis that PMD is caused by Perkinsus IN THE TISSUE of the clam is wrong. If you read the article by Basti et al, they isolated Perkinsus from the tissue some of the diseased clams and some of the healthy clams. They also did not recover the Perkinsus from some of the diseased clams and other healthy clams. This really point to an incidental finding finding.

I have two problems with their conclusions after reading trough their paper:
1. Tissue infection will not response to FWD. The basis for why FWD is effective is that it rupture and kill surface parasite due to exposure of small organism to fresh water. If the infection is in the tissue, the pathogen will not be exposed to fresh water until the clam is dead and all the cell of the clam ruptured thus exposed what is in it to fresh water. They were looking at the wrong place. Rather than looking at the surface of the clams, they looking at tissue slides for internally infected pathogen.
2. The pattern of Perkinsus isolated in clams, both healthy and diseased clams, and not isolated Perkinsus on other healthy and diseased clams points to unrelated incidental finding. They cannot conclude that Perkinsus as the likely cause of PMD. It is much more likely that Perkinsus is a unrelated finding. They have a preconceived notion that Perkinsus is the pathogen and tried to shoehorn their finding to fit what they think is the answer.

There are three possible explanations why the OP clams is doing well.
1. The clam had PMD. IMO, this is unlikely because I don't think the clam had/has PMD
2. The clam was transiently affected by a number of chemically/environment related factor. FWD did not excessively stress the clam and he recover once the factors affecting him removed.
3. The clam my be affected by a difference surface parasite/pathogen. Treatment with FWD will kill most if not all small surface infected pathogens, not just the PMD pathogen. If the pathogen is a tiny organism with exoskeleton, then it may be more resistant to FWD.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The progression of the disease is not PMD as I know it. I think the hypothesis that PMD is caused by Perkinsus IN THE TISSUE of the clam is wrong. If you read the article by Basti et al, they isolated Perkinsus from the tissue some of the diseased clams and some of the healthy clams. They also did not recover the Perkinsus from some of the diseased clams and other healthy clams. This really point to an incidental finding finding.

I have two problems with their conclusions after reading trough their paper:
1. Tissue infection will not response to FWD. The basis for why FWD is effective is that it rupture and kill surface parasite due to exposure of small organism to fresh water. If the infection is in the tissue, the pathogen will not be exposed to fresh water until the clam is dead and all the cell of the clam ruptured thus exposed what is in it to fresh water. They were looking at the wrong place. Rather than looking at the surface of the clams, they looking at tissue slides for internally infected pathogen.
2. The pattern of Perkinsus isolated in clams, both healthy and diseased clams, and not isolated Perkinsus on other healthy and diseased clams points to unrelated incidental finding. They cannot conclude that Perkinsus as the likely cause of PMD. It is much more likely that Perkinsus is a unrelated finding. They have a preconceived notion that Perkinsus is the pathogen and tried to shoehorn their finding to fit what they think is the answer.

There are three possible explanations why the OP clams is doing well.
1. The clam had PMD. IMO, this is unlikely because I don't think the clam had/has PMD
2. The clam was transiently affected by a number of chemically/environment related factor. FWD did not excessively stress the clam and he recover once the factors affecting him removed.
3. The clam my be affected by a difference surface parasite/pathogen. Treatment with FWD will kill most if not all small surface infected pathogens, not just the PMD pathogen. If the pathogen is a tiny organism with exoskeleton, then it may be more resistant to FWD.
Thanks for the info my friend.

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow thank you to everyone for all the detailed info! whatever the case is, there was no change to the tank when the "PMD" started except for new mp10.

in other news, my male clown developed popeye on one side overnight???

IMG_20200101_113805.jpg

IMG_20200101_113813.jpg

it looks slightly cloudy.

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well we're back at it again.

IMG_20200109_181304.jpg

it was retracted again on the left side last night and I come home to this.

I'm preparing another FWD as it helped tremendously last time. I may do another one in a couple of days too.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding phyto? I’ve found the smaller clams seem to do well with feeding phyto, until they get larger. Also, isolating the clam in an acrylic box could help with preventing tank mates from pecking, and help with isolated feeding of phyto.

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding phyto? I’ve found the smaller clams seem to do well with feeding phyto, until they get larger. Also, isolating the clam in an acrylic box could help with preventing tank mates from pecking, and help with isolated feeding of phyto.

I've been feeding photo since pretty much when I started this tank. a squirt every day for my feather dusters.

I used to feed bright well phytogold but switched to seachem phyto as it's cheaper.

the only corals near it are remnants of monti I tried to kill off, a couple of small acros, and cloves

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back