Healthy Wrasse died over night

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all
i know there will be no definate answer but i was wondering if anyone have had any similar experiance. My leopard wrasse who was about 3" and a good weight, my biggest wrasse, and he was found dead and half eaten this morning. The day/night before he was fine, swimming normally eating like a pig as he always did, no signs of anything wrong with him. i have no crabs or any aggressive fish, apart from 1 cardinal who chases a few of the other fish. does anyone have any suggestions what could have caused him to die? anyone had anything similar happen to them?

regards

OP
OP
Colin_S

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw he was in the tank for about 6 months and was the last fish added

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old was it? Yes I have had fish die for no apparent reason. Unfortunately it happens and we never know why. When I started in the hobby 50 years ago it was much more common then it is today, thanks to catching and handling methods now used. Sorry to hear about your loss.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the other tankmates?
This is an important question.

Also, leopard wrasse are very prone to (and often have) internal parasites. All of them should be de-wormed by feeding general cure and focus in their strained/drained (melted first obviously) frozen foods or other food offerings. Focus is a product that binds the medication tot he food. Feed it for 10-14 days. This generally takes care of this issue.

Prazipro is another commonly used medication to feed, as is metroplex. GC contains both, which is why it's more commonly used.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a recent picture? Could be that it actually wasn't at a healthy weight. Failing that, fish do die; sometimes mysteriously.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We seem to forget that fish aren't immortal. Remember: the date you purchase the fish isn't the day it was born/hatched. So you may have purchased a fish that has been around a long time.

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an important question.

Also, leopard wrasse are very prone to (and often have) internal parasites. All of them should be de-wormed by feeding general cure and focus in their strained/drained (melted first obviously) frozen foods or other food offerings. Focus is a product that binds the medication tot he food. Feed it for 10-14 days. This generally takes care of this issue.

Prazipro is another commonly used medication to feed, as is metroplex. GC contains both, which is why it's more commonly used.

You can add this straight to the DT?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back