heat from Lights

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How many are using lights that produce noticeable heat?
I was just wiping glass tops and having used metal halides years ago, realized the heat coming from my supplement noopsyche lights.

How many have noticed heat from your lights and what impact have you seen it cause with water temperature?

These lights today have fans but meant to cool the fixture and not the area where light is at.
I just turned off the noopsyche units to see what temperature drop I get.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
When I'm doing tank maintenance I can notice the heat directly under the lights, but in terms of radiant heat it's not adding much to the room (arguably the tank is in the basement where it's typically cooler anyway).
yeah- I feel it directly from bulbs. My Orpheks have zero heat

wmv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a Noo-Psyche K7 mini on my IM15 and it’s been giving me lots of heat issues. When I’m scraping the glass I feel like my arms getting sunburn it’s so hot/strong. I’m running a UV also but my tank stayed at 78 with my old light + the UV so I know the new light is what bumped it up to 82. I now have a fan sitting next to the tank blowing between the lid and the light keeping the hot air away and that’s kept the tank under 80 so I’d recommend trying that if you could

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally LED's have a pretty linear heat ouput with their wattage. If some fixtures feel cool and others feel hot, I'd almost think that means that the cool fixtures are not transporting the heat created by the LED's efficiently to the exterior of the unit to be radiated away. Of course, this is also dependant on surface area. Larger fixtures (like Orphek's) with not such a dense LED puck array will be cooler seeming than something like a Kessil, because the heat generated is being spread to something with much more thermal mass.

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same for my noopsyche. I have a fan blowing across the surface in the summer but not sure how much it affects the temperature. My in tank temp during the hot summer is between 79-82 with the fans on.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 7 Radions so there is some heat but they are in a cavernous canopy so it doesn’t affect the tank. But nothing like when I had Halides and VHO actinics back in the day.

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4. T5s and two 250 watt mh on a 55 gal tank with two 4” fans but still have considerable heat. I run a chiller on the summer to keep the tank temp about 80

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have open top, pendants and my 5x MH don't hardly heat the tank up at all. I had a lot more issues with a hood top. I do run a fan when the lights are on - a real Vornado fan, not some 4" computer fans.

In the winter, the MH helps keep the basement warm when the house is closed up more. In the summer, we run the attic fan all night and the home is about 60 in the AM and warms up to 70-72 by the time that the sun goes down. The lights have no real impact in the summer.

bureau13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Noopsyche K7. Yes, there's some heat. I have two of them programmed (via Apex) to turn off if the temp goes over a set number (that's pretty high actually) and I have a small fan blowing across my sump. I would say that fan is too small to do much, but my tank temps are not hitting their previous max and I even added the third light since then.

My Mag18 skimmer pump recently died and while waiting for the new one, I noticed lower temps...I'm pretty sure that one pump puts more heat into my tank than all three K7s. Previously when I had a T5/MH fixture I had to run a chiller. The K7's are significantly cooler than T5/MH.

I do have a couple larger fans I'm going to blow across the top of my tank if I lose AC. I keep my tank a bit warmer than most (South Florida) FWIW.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many are using lights that produce noticeable heat?
I was just wiping glass tops and having used metal halides years ago, realized the heat coming from my supplement noopsyche lights.

How many have noticed heat from your lights and what impact have you seen it cause with water temperature?

These lights today have fans but meant to cool the fixture and not the area where light is at.
I just turned off the noopsyche units to see what temperature drop I get.
My red seas are hot, have had to really turn them down this summer to protect my fish

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My red seas are hot, have had to really turn them down this summer to protect my fish
That has been the main field complaint with them

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 29 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 25 25.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back