Heater Controller

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have 2 tanks on different floors in my home and am looking for a way to add a heater controller. I'm not really interested in any of the other features of an apex or similar controller at the moment but would consider a junior if it gave me the possibility to turn off the heaters in both tanks in the event of a failure.
Anyone have any good ideas? The inkbird controller doesn't have the best reviews though it's cheap. The Ranco 11100 doesn't seem to be around much anymore
Anyone have any suggestions for me?
I have 2 120g tanks on different floors of the home. I would like to control the heaters in them with 1 or 2 controllers. I can run wires between the tanks with no issues. I am considering an audible alarm system but by the time I buy 2 I'm already in the $100 dollar range. This puts me closer to an actual controller. Advice please!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd still say Inkbird or Ranco. The important thing with either is making sure you get a waterproof thermistor (temperature probe). I prefer the ones plastic/epoxy coated.....not the bare stainless steel. Problems with either ones are typically with the probe being used.

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd still say Inkbird or Ranco. The important thing with either is making sure you get a waterproof thermistor (temperature probe). I prefer the ones plastic/epoxy coated.....not the bare stainless steel. Problems with either ones are typically with the probe being used.
Its the probs that seem to die. Agree with redbluefish use the plastic epoxy probs.
If your handy and want a fun project. Love controller from Dwyer is a good one. Heavy probe. I'll look up the diy I found.

OP
OP
BenitaSolo

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the probs that seem to die. Agree with redbluefish use the plastic epoxy probs.
If your handy and want a fun project. Love controller from Dwyer is a good one. Heavy probe. I'll look up the diy I found.

Thats a pretty cool DIY. I don't think it's for me though...

I did see a few posts where people simply coat the ink bird probes in silicone. I don't see an option on either of those two controllers for a coated or titanium probe... seems reasonable i guess.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
........ I don't see an option on either of those two controllers for a coated or titanium probe.....

Yep, you've got to pick one up separately. If I remember correctly, a 10K thermistor will work.

OP
OP
BenitaSolo

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, you've got to pick one up separately. If I remember correctly, a 10K thermistor will work.
I looked that up. It looks like it something I would have to wire in.
It’s crazy there isn’t a heater with a Hugh temp shutoff on the market...

OP
OP
BenitaSolo

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Inkbird
One more question-
I picked up two of the @Inkbird units that only control heaters. (No cooling control). I will either shrink wrap or silicone the probes or buy a powder coated probe and DIY it.
Question-
I currently have finnex titanium elements controlled through a finnex controller. Will I plug the elements directly into the ink bird now or will I still go through the finnex controller?
I want to use these strictly as a fail safe in the event the heater gets stuck on

Thanks for the help today.

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want redundancy. I'd still go through your finnex controler as a safe guard. Set it to .5 or 1 deg higher then your inkbird. If set at same temp they'll fight.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inkbird is well known in the brewing community as well.

I picked up a $30 willhi on amazon, used it for a year for brewing, then 2 years in my reef tank until I picked up an apex,. It's now controlling the heater in my beta tank.

Bright easy to read LED display makes it easy to see from across the room and can be mounted with two screws.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V4TJR0...b4f7-4aa0fa5d8208&ie=UTF8&qid=1545523770&sr=1

OP
OP
BenitaSolo

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want redundancy. I'd still go through your finnex controler as a safe guard. Set it to .5 or 1 deg higher then your inkbird. If set at same temp they'll fight.
It’s gong to take me minute to process this.
I’ll have two probes, the one on the finnex is going to be the actual desired range and the one on the ink bird is a degree lesser and greater for redundancy. Then if a controller fails the other will continue to function within an okay range and all the while I will be protected in the event of an all out failure.

They’re that accurate? I have never calibrated the finnex probe and I’m not even sure if it’s possible. My worry would be that they aren’t reading the same and despite being set a degree apart they’ll both competing anyway. Valid concern?0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back