Heater Failure

Ajhamilton30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, I had a heater go haywire while I was out of town over the weekend. Temperature got almost to 100° Fahrenheit! My aquarium was fishless but I lost my inverts, Anemones and coral. Do I do a complete water change? Also what is your go to heater for 180 gallon aquarium? I have an ink bird but had it on my quarantine fish. I have already ordered a second temperature controller, lesson learned.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using same finnex heaters for well over a decade now. Solid design. Their controllers eventually fail after 8-10 years, but that never caused the heater to get stuck in the on state.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, I had a heater go haywire while I was out of town over the weekend. Temperature got almost to 100° Fahrenheit! My aquarium was fishless but I lost my inverts, Anemones and coral. Do I do a complete water change? Also what is your go to heater for 180 gallon aquarium? I have an ink bird but had it on my quarantine fish. I have already ordered a second temperature controller, lesson learned.
If you want more peace of mind, have two heaters each with their own controllers. That way you are ok if one of them does not heat at all.

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Im Pricey, but that what I went with after having 2 other heaters fail. The IM even has different error messages Will shut its self off if goes about temp limits.......

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were you using that failed, just curious.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x Schego 300-watt heaters on an Inkbird 306A controller, monitored by a Neptune Apex with 2x separate temperature probes (4x temperature probes in total). The Neptune also controls a tertiary 500-watt Hygger heater in the event the Inkbird fails.

All hail the inanimate titanium rod.

OP
OP
A

Ajhamilton30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x Schego 300-watt heaters on an Inkbird 306A controller, monitored by a Neptune Apex with 2x separate temperature probes (4x temperature probes in total). The Neptune also controls a tertiary 500-watt Hygger heater in the event the Inkbird fails.

All hail the inanimate titanium rod.
Now that is a redundancy! Goals

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Everyone seems to have different setups they like. For me, I've had many different kinds of heaters and two stand out.

1) Was the Cobalt Neotherm heaters around 2013. They worked fantastic and never failed. Now they seem to have discontinued them and had issues.

2) My favorite and current heater is an Eheim ETherm that is electronically controlled, glass heater. I always adjust it by hand and it never moves temp. Extremely accurate.

I've had countless Titanium heaters and every single one has failed.

Never had the IM series, but all the titanium heaters look like the same manufacturer to me. Let us know what you go with and good luck.

OP
OP
A

Ajhamilton30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want more peace of mind, have two heaters each with their own controllers. That way you are ok if one of them does not heat at all.
Definitely thought about that and thought maybe a chiller in case it overheated again.
Everyone seems to have different setups they like. For me, I've had many different kinds of heaters and two stand out.

1) Was the Cobalt Neotherm heaters around 2013. They worked fantastic and never failed. Now they seem to have discontinued them and had issues.

2) My favorite and current heater is an Eheim ETherm that is electronically controlled, glass heater. I always adjust it by hand and it never moves temp. Extremely accurate.

I've had countless Titanium heaters and every single one has failed.

Never had the IM series, but all the titanium heaters look like the same manufacturer to me. Let us know what you go with and good luck.
I went with titanium because the new glass Eheim I got for my quarantine tank went out in less than 3 months. I don’t care to pay for quality. I have back up Petco heater Aqueon pro right now until I make a decision. I have a second inkbird coming Tuesday. That’s saved me a couple times already.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Definitely thought about that and thought maybe a chiller in case it overheated again.

I went with titanium because the new glass Eheim I got for my quarantine tank went out in less than 3 months. I don’t care to pay for quality. I have back up Petco heater Aqueon pro right now until I make a decision. I have a second inkbird coming Tuesday. That’s saved me a couple times already.
The Eheim went out? Any circumstances around that? Don't hear much of that.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back