Heaters During the Summer

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How low should I turn my heater down in the summer? It's about 90° where I am right now. I had my heater set to 75°. The water is currently 85°. I want it around 77-79°.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set the heater to your desired temperature. In the summer it may not turn on much if at all.

Assuming you have a temp controller? If not, should get one - inkbird makes cheap reliable temp controllers.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How low should I turn my heater down in the summer? It's about 90° where I am right now. I had my heater set to 75°. The water is currently 85°. I want it around 77-79°.
Do you have a chiller? Or at least an AC in the room? 85 is pushing it a little, depending on what’s in your tank. If your temp reaches 90... ouch.

OP
OP
SinkyShippy

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a chiller? Or at least an AC in the room? 85 is pushing it a little, depending on what’s in your tank. If your temp reaches 90... ouch.
I took the lid off. Figured out it was baking the tank. I only had it on cause I didn't want my light to get wet. I tied a sheet of hard plastic to the light so it doesn't get wet. Ordered a fan. And some netting for the top.
IMG_20190520_182254.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the lid off. Figured out it was baking the tank. I only had it on cause I didn't want my light to get wet. I tied a sheet of hard plastic to the light so it doesn't get wet. Ordered a fan. And some netting for the top.
IMG_20190520_182254.jpeg
Hard to see your tank. Do you have any corals or livestock besides fish? Corals won’t enjoy higher temps. Fish should be fine.

OP
OP
SinkyShippy

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see your tank. Do you have any corals or livestock besides fish? Corals won’t enjoy higher temps. Fish should be fine.
I am just showing the way I tied the plastic top to allow for air flow. I don't have any coral or livestock right now.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just showing the way I tied the plastic top to allow for air flow. I don't have any coral or livestock right now.
You’re fine then. Just keep an eye on the temp when adding livestock. I’ve cooked things before....;Facepalm

OP
OP
SinkyShippy

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go are you liking the sb reef 18”. I’m thinking about buying some myself soon
I like it. I don't have any coral yet so I don't really know how great it is with coral but I've been told it's good. It doesn't work with an Aqueon glass top thought which sucks. I actually tied a large sheet of hard plastic to it to keep it dry. It fits my tank perfectly cause you can move the arms around. It's not heavy so it won't break your tank.

I had originally purchased a different light as well as a pair of arms that connect to a stand but the arms didn't my stand so I had to return both items.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back