heaters??

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is almost 2 years old and haven't had an issue yet. Same controller and heaters I started with.
I use the aqualogic dual stage controller. I find running just enough heater wattage keeps cycling to a minimum. Relays only last so long.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a matter of total kw if you have a100w heater that run's 10 per day for 1 hr each on cycle, thats 1000 per day. now if you have 2 100w heaters that run 10 per day but for only 20 min each cycle thats about 670 watts per day.

Two 100 watt heaters will use the same amout of power as one 100 watt heater to heat the same volume of water. You will not save 33% power by doubling your heaters.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit of both, and with so many people running Apex systems i was wondering if anyone has actually tested it to see.

I’ve wondered if the size has an affect on stability, I believe size shouldn’t affect the cost as a watt is a watt, the size of heater shouldnt require more or less wattage to heat the same amount of water, I have seen some heaters saying they are more efficient, not sure I understand that claim as I thought electric was near enough 100% efficient?

OP
OP
mightynova63

mightynova63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve wondered if the size has an affect on stability, I believe size shouldn’t affect the cost as a watt is a watt, the size of heater shouldnt require more or less wattage to heat the same amount of water, I have seen some heaters saying thay are more efficient, not sure I understand that claim as I thought electric was near enough 100% efficient?
so if you run a heater fast over 30min (on a 100g tank with say 800 gmh) you will get about at most you will cycle 4 times. possibly not truly getting all the water trapped in the cold low flow areas. so fast flow could cost more cycles per day. a slower heat gives a better opportunity to transfer heat in to low flow areas. just me thinking out loud. I am a large tonage HVAC tech, and im trying to relate my knolage of flow, heat transfer, and bypass flow. I am returning to the hobby after about 8 years and i am flabbergasted on the knowledge that has happened in such a little time im building a 100g lagoon and i have 300 titanum heaters I know rule is 4 watts per gal so do i run one 300 or both 600.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so if you run a heater fast over 30min (on a 100g tank with say 800 gmh) you will get about at most you will cycle 4 times. possibly not truly getting all the water trapped in the cold low flow areas. so fast flow could cost more cycles per day. a slower heat gives a better opportunity to transfer heat in to low flow areas. just me thinking out loud. I am a large tonage HVAC tech, and im trying to relate my knolage of flow, heat transfer, and bypass flow. I am returning to the hobby after about 8 years and i am flabbergasted on the knowledge that has happened in such a little time im building a 100g lagoon and i have 300 titanum heaters I know rule is 4 watts per gal so do i run one 300 or both 600.
Water is an excellent conductor of heat, unlike air.

Back