Hello and lighting question!

WrassemanPDX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! I finally moved from lurker to registrant! I have a five foot (60x20 inch) mixed reef heavily dominated by anemones and photosynthetic sponges. I got the tank from a neighbor about eight months ago and it’s now pretty stabilized from the move. Not my first reef tank but definitely the biggest!

question - I’m running three AI primes that are very old with several burnt uv leds. It’s time I move to a new lighting setup. I was thinking about going two xr15s (pros over blues I think as I like a more natural look than ab+). For this size tank are the xr15s the way to go? Should I be looking at xr30s instead or a different setup entirely?

I’m starting to get into lps (grape, candy cane, hammer, soon torch, favia, etc) and will probably stick to easy to keep sps.

0BE5A24E-37E3-4E25-93EE-654097FFC85A.jpeg

EC104E43-C511-4B17-B27A-396E22CC1BBA.jpeg

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! I finally moved from lurker to registrant! I have a five foot (60x20 inch) mixed reef heavily dominated by anemones and photosynthetic sponges. I got the tank from a neighbor about eight months ago and it’s now pretty stabilized from the move. Not my first reef tank but definitely the biggest!

question - I’m running three AI primes that are very old with several burnt uv leds. It’s time I move to a new lighting setup. I was thinking about going two xr15s (pros over blues I think as I like a more natural look than ab+). For this size tank are the xr15s the way to go? Should I be looking at xr30s instead or a different setup entirely?

I’m starting to get into lps (grape, candy cane, hammer, soon torch, favia, etc) and will probably stick to easy to keep sps.

0BE5A24E-37E3-4E25-93EE-654097FFC85A.jpeg

EC104E43-C511-4B17-B27A-396E22CC1BBA.jpeg

Welcome to R2R. Have you looked at Noopsyche K7 V3 140w. They are amazing lights and there's a discount on right now for 35.5% off.

OP
OP
WrassemanPDX

WrassemanPDX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!. I would go with 3 XR15 G5's. I have 5 on my tank, but its a SPS dominant tank, thus, 5 XR15's.
Three xr15s over 2 xr30s is my gut feeling. Maybe I start with two xr15s and get a third down the line. Did you go with blue or pro? I’m worried ab+ is too blue, but I haven’t had a chance to sit down and see it in real life. Guess I could true it out with my primes first!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three xr15s over 2 xr30s is my gut feeling. Maybe I start with two xr15s and get a third down the line. Did you go with blue or pro? I’m worried ab+ is too blue, but I haven’t had a chance to sit down and see it in real life. Guess I could true it out with my primes first!
I went with the Blues in a hybrid setup.

OP
OP
WrassemanPDX

WrassemanPDX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome :) For a 5ft tank I'd recommend the xr30s if you can afford them. You will get much better coverage if you want to get into sps
Do you think two xr30s over 3 xr15s? I’m flexible on price but was going with the xr15s because the depth is only 20 inches. I thought xr30s had more depth spread.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your heart is insistent on EcoTech, I would agree to go with three XR15s (or even 4 if you MUST spend the money) over the 2 XR30s. You can control hotspots better by moving the XR15s in ways you couldnt with the XR30s. I just got rid of my XR15s because of a giveaway. I am pretty happy with my new lights at 1/5 the price.

By the way, Welcome to the R2R community!!

Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t recommend a light or combo but can suggest checking out the various BRS Investigates videos on lighting. They have several on lights they sell as well as setup/par readings etc. Videos are on their website and YouTube.

OP
OP
WrassemanPDX

WrassemanPDX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your heart is insistent on EcoTech, I would agree to go with three XR15s (or even 4 if you MUST spend the money) over the 2 XR30s. You can control hotspots better by moving the XR15s in ways you couldnt with the XR30s. I just got rid of my XR15s because of a giveaway. I am pretty happy with my new lights at 1/5 the price.

By the way, Welcome to the R2R community!!

Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Thank you! Heart is definitely not set on eco tech, it’s just the brand I’ve had success with recently. Definitely open to other companies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back