Hello and lighting question!

Hi there! I finally moved from lurker to registrant! I have a five foot (60x20 inch) mixed reef heavily dominated by anemones and photosynthetic sponges. I got the tank from a neighbor about eight months ago and it’s now pretty stabilized from the move. Not my first reef tank but definitely the biggest!

question - I’m running three AI primes that are very old with several burnt uv leds. It’s time I move to a new lighting setup. I was thinking about going two xr15s (pros over blues I think as I like a more natural look than ab+). For this size tank are the xr15s the way to go? Should I be looking at xr30s instead or a different setup entirely?

I’m starting to get into lps (grape, candy cane, hammer, soon torch, favia, etc) and will probably stick to easy to keep sps.


0BE5A24E-37E3-4E25-93EE-654097FFC85A.jpeg

EC104E43-C511-4B17-B27A-396E22CC1BBA.jpeg

Welcome to R2R

as per lights it really depends on your budget. I am happy with my aquanest light plus m7. 2 of those would cover I think your tank on the cheap side. I am sure others will defend their choice. ;)

Welcome to R2R.JPG
 
Do you think two xr30s over 3 xr15s? I’m flexible on price but was going with the xr15s because the depth is only 20 inches. I thought xr30s had more depth spread.
In my setup currently, I have 4 XR15 G5 Blues in a Hybrid, I will add a 5th XR15 down the road, I am getting 200 Par on the bottom in a 225 gal tank with my Radions at 50 percent on the AB+ spectrum.
 
Hi there! I finally moved from lurker to registrant! I have a five foot (60x20 inch) mixed reef heavily dominated by anemones and photosynthetic sponges. I got the tank from a neighbor about eight months ago and it’s now pretty stabilized from the move. Not my first reef tank but definitely the biggest!

question - I’m running three AI primes that are very old with several burnt uv leds. It’s time I move to a new lighting setup. I was thinking about going two xr15s (pros over blues I think as I like a more natural look than ab+). For this size tank are the xr15s the way to go? Should I be looking at xr30s instead or a different setup entirely?

I’m starting to get into lps (grape, candy cane, hammer, soon torch, favia, etc) and will probably stick to easy to keep sps.


0BE5A24E-37E3-4E25-93EE-654097FFC85A.jpeg

EC104E43-C511-4B17-B27A-396E22CC1BBA.jpeg

 

Attachments

  • CC3CB653-DD03-43D2-B13C-5AD1B7436ACB.jpeg
    CC3CB653-DD03-43D2-B13C-5AD1B7436ACB.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 68
Hi there! I finally moved from lurker to registrant! I have a five foot (60x20 inch) mixed reef heavily dominated by anemones and photosynthetic sponges. I got the tank from a neighbor about eight months ago and it’s now pretty stabilized from the move. Not my first reef tank but definitely the biggest!

question - I’m running three AI primes that are very old with several burnt uv leds. It’s time I move to a new lighting setup. I was thinking about going two xr15s (pros over blues I think as I like a more natural look than ab+). For this size tank are the xr15s the way to go? Should I be looking at xr30s instead or a different setup entirely?

I’m starting to get into lps (grape, candy cane, hammer, soon torch, favia, etc) and will probably stick to easy to keep sps.


0BE5A24E-37E3-4E25-93EE-654097FFC85A.jpeg

EC104E43-C511-4B17-B27A-396E22CC1BBA.jpeg


Welcome! Glad you joined. Defer to others on lighting (there is a Lighting Forum Area where lighting knowledgeable people hang out). Your tank looks really great! Nice layout too!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new