Hello and lighting question!

WrassemanPDX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! I finally moved from lurker to registrant! I have a five foot (60x20 inch) mixed reef heavily dominated by anemones and photosynthetic sponges. I got the tank from a neighbor about eight months ago and it’s now pretty stabilized from the move. Not my first reef tank but definitely the biggest!

question - I’m running three AI primes that are very old with several burnt uv leds. It’s time I move to a new lighting setup. I was thinking about going two xr15s (pros over blues I think as I like a more natural look than ab+). For this size tank are the xr15s the way to go? Should I be looking at xr30s instead or a different setup entirely?

I’m starting to get into lps (grape, candy cane, hammer, soon torch, favia, etc) and will probably stick to easy to keep sps.

0BE5A24E-37E3-4E25-93EE-654097FFC85A.jpeg

EC104E43-C511-4B17-B27A-396E22CC1BBA.jpeg

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! I finally moved from lurker to registrant! I have a five foot (60x20 inch) mixed reef heavily dominated by anemones and photosynthetic sponges. I got the tank from a neighbor about eight months ago and it’s now pretty stabilized from the move. Not my first reef tank but definitely the biggest!

question - I’m running three AI primes that are very old with several burnt uv leds. It’s time I move to a new lighting setup. I was thinking about going two xr15s (pros over blues I think as I like a more natural look than ab+). For this size tank are the xr15s the way to go? Should I be looking at xr30s instead or a different setup entirely?

I’m starting to get into lps (grape, candy cane, hammer, soon torch, favia, etc) and will probably stick to easy to keep sps.

0BE5A24E-37E3-4E25-93EE-654097FFC85A.jpeg

EC104E43-C511-4B17-B27A-396E22CC1BBA.jpeg

Welcome to R2R. Have you looked at Noopsyche K7 V3 140w. They are amazing lights and there's a discount on right now for 35.5% off.

OP
OP
WrassemanPDX

WrassemanPDX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!. I would go with 3 XR15 G5's. I have 5 on my tank, but its a SPS dominant tank, thus, 5 XR15's.
Three xr15s over 2 xr30s is my gut feeling. Maybe I start with two xr15s and get a third down the line. Did you go with blue or pro? I’m worried ab+ is too blue, but I haven’t had a chance to sit down and see it in real life. Guess I could true it out with my primes first!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three xr15s over 2 xr30s is my gut feeling. Maybe I start with two xr15s and get a third down the line. Did you go with blue or pro? I’m worried ab+ is too blue, but I haven’t had a chance to sit down and see it in real life. Guess I could true it out with my primes first!
I went with the Blues in a hybrid setup.

OP
OP
WrassemanPDX

WrassemanPDX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome :) For a 5ft tank I'd recommend the xr30s if you can afford them. You will get much better coverage if you want to get into sps
Do you think two xr30s over 3 xr15s? I’m flexible on price but was going with the xr15s because the depth is only 20 inches. I thought xr30s had more depth spread.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your heart is insistent on EcoTech, I would agree to go with three XR15s (or even 4 if you MUST spend the money) over the 2 XR30s. You can control hotspots better by moving the XR15s in ways you couldnt with the XR30s. I just got rid of my XR15s because of a giveaway. I am pretty happy with my new lights at 1/5 the price.

By the way, Welcome to the R2R community!!

Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t recommend a light or combo but can suggest checking out the various BRS Investigates videos on lighting. They have several on lights they sell as well as setup/par readings etc. Videos are on their website and YouTube.

OP
OP
WrassemanPDX

WrassemanPDX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your heart is insistent on EcoTech, I would agree to go with three XR15s (or even 4 if you MUST spend the money) over the 2 XR30s. You can control hotspots better by moving the XR15s in ways you couldnt with the XR30s. I just got rid of my XR15s because of a giveaway. I am pretty happy with my new lights at 1/5 the price.

By the way, Welcome to the R2R community!!

Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Thank you! Heart is definitely not set on eco tech, it’s just the brand I’ve had success with recently. Definitely open to other companies.

Back