Hello/anemone behavior

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost hello, I am new to the forum and after most of my research on the adventure of re-setting up a reef after 8+ years, kept leading me back to here I decided to join. I was in the process of doing tank maintenance (water change, dipping new corals, moving corals to the quarantine 10g, target feeding the fish and corals) due to a mysterious and sudden bleaching of a coral. While slowly turning my lights back up, (coralife seascape LED) and playing with the “RGB” option I noticed to my horror my rose bubble tip had turned white and sucked in more than I have ever seen it suck in. Before the water changes it was fine and now that I’ve turned the lights back down it is slowly re-emerging with some color. My super rainbow bubble tip is fine just the rose seems to have had this issue. I tried to do my research but found inconclusive results ranging from the algae that gives it its color went away (it still has color so not this one) to its dying and going to nuke my tank has anyone seen this happen or had it happen to them? We’re the lights too bright? Here is a picture of it now (it was sucked in more and whiter)

image.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! How long has the tank been setup? Sometimes BTAs struggle if they don't have the stability of a mature tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! How long has the tank been setup? Sometimes BTAs struggle if they don't have the stability of a mature tank.
It has been set up since the end of February. Before the mysterious bleaching of the coral (picture attached) this anemone was gorgeous, fully open and very healthy looking. Bulbs on the tentacles etc. I did have a portion of my corals on the sand bed as I am moving in about a week and didn’t want to rearrange my rock and stress all the fish out. The bleaching incident prompted me to rearrange my rock to provide room off the sand bed for my frags. The bubble tip is in almost the exact same position. It’s foot was unmoved, the only difference being the rock is now sideways. The bta had to extend a ways to find the light. And now can’t suck under the rock, which come to think of it, could not being able to “hide” from the bright light be a possibility?

image.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Besides the above questions how long have you had each of the anemone for?
Rose Bubble tip I’ve had since Mid February (it and a pair of Ocelleris clowns were one of the first things added) the Super Rainbow I have had since about late March. Super Rainbow came after the Rose

Upvote 0
OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update. Anemone is starting to return to normal but area around mouth is swollen. I’ve never seen an anemone pooping, only the poop trailing after it is done. Was this whole process just it taking a large one? Or is it more serious?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 0