Hello/anemone behavior

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost hello, I am new to the forum and after most of my research on the adventure of re-setting up a reef after 8+ years, kept leading me back to here I decided to join. I was in the process of doing tank maintenance (water change, dipping new corals, moving corals to the quarantine 10g, target feeding the fish and corals) due to a mysterious and sudden bleaching of a coral. While slowly turning my lights back up, (coralife seascape LED) and playing with the “RGB” option I noticed to my horror my rose bubble tip had turned white and sucked in more than I have ever seen it suck in. Before the water changes it was fine and now that I’ve turned the lights back down it is slowly re-emerging with some color. My super rainbow bubble tip is fine just the rose seems to have had this issue. I tried to do my research but found inconclusive results ranging from the algae that gives it its color went away (it still has color so not this one) to its dying and going to nuke my tank has anyone seen this happen or had it happen to them? We’re the lights too bright? Here is a picture of it now (it was sucked in more and whiter)

image.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost hello, I am new to the forum and after most of my research on the adventure of re-setting up a reef after 8+ years, kept leading me back to here I decided to join. I was in the process of doing tank maintenance (water change, dipping new corals, moving corals to the quarantine 10g, target feeding the fish and corals) due to a mysterious and sudden bleaching of a coral. While slowly turning my lights back up, (coralife seascape LED) and playing with the “RGB” option I noticed to my horror my rose bubble tip had turned white and sucked in more than I have ever seen it suck in. Before the water changes it was fine and now that I’ve turned the lights back down it is slowly re-emerging with some color. My super rainbow bubble tip is fine just the rose seems to have had this issue. I tried to do my research but found inconclusive results ranging from the algae that gives it its color went away (it still has color so not this one) to its dying and going to nuke my tank has anyone seen this happen or had it happen to them? We’re the lights too bright? Here is a picture of it now (it was sucked in more and whiter)

image.jpg
Hoping it comes back to its former happy self

Welcome and glad you joined

Wondering if you have been watching your water parameters and just wondering if anything is off. Also wondering if you have peppermint shrimp as sometimes they'll eat BTAs (instead of/in addition to aiptasia... which is just a small anemone if we think about it...)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping it comes back to its former happy self

Welcome and glad you joined

Wondering if you have been watching your water parameters and just wondering if anything is off. Also wondering if you have peppermint shrimp as sometimes they'll eat BTAs (instead of/in addition to aiptasia... which is just a small anemone if we think about it...)
Water parameters are normal or at least constant. I unfortunately bought the API test kit which I’m told gives false readings. The important thing is that the test results are constant. It seems like after I moved the rock the anemone pooped which appeared to be the main cause of this incident and it also has not been able to open fully and as wide as it used to due to the flow. It has been days now and it has not moved either. I am hoping (and somewhat confident) it will last through the 6 hour drive here in less than a week as I’m moving to a different state. Once I’m moved I plan on rearranging my aquascape so both of the nems will be happy. For now it is almost back to normal except for not opening as wide as before which as I said before could be due to higher flow.

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back