Hello Everyone! First tank set up :)

Cesar Romero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, new to saltwater but have learned allot through reading through this forums and youtube. I have never owned a tank bigger than a 5 gallon for my Beta fish, but my wife has had saltwater fish since childhood. I am captivated by the fish and coral, and we have finally agreed to set up our first tank.

Our goal is to set up a 150 gallon or so, acrylic tank made by Windrider Creation. Dimensions would be 60x24x25 with a 16" Shadow Overflow. Currently the tank is still being made and should arrive hopefully by the end of the month. In preparation, I have used this forum to learn and "borrow" ideas from others in set ups and tank stands. This is the stand I made, and personally for having no woodworking experience in the past, I am quite proud of it.
IMG_7476.PNG

I have purchased the plumbing for two 1.5 inch drain with two 1.25 return, reducing to .75 at the bulkhead. I have a Neptune 20 ready to go. A 50 gallon sump I made using the kit from Windrider creation, and following there YouTube and book provided, it came out to be pretty easy and something I feel will last me for the long haul at a good price, with a triton method sump layout. As wells as Bulk Reef Supply, dual stage reactor for carbon and GFO.

Still have plenty more thing in the wish list that are moving to the shopping cart here soon, but am conflicted if it's the way I want to go. For a skimmer I am thinking the Reef Octopus Regal 200sss. For powerheads Two Gyre XF 250. For lights the 60" Hybrid T5HO from aquatic life with 3 kessils. Plan to start with Red Sea Pro salt, then add kalkwasser, then moving to either two part or Triton method. Still trying to figure out if a kalkwasser stirrer would be worth getting after reading over some horror stories with the ATO set up. I enjoy gadgets and anything that would make maintance easier, so got to have a Neptune Apex system (mostly down the road for this piece).

Our goal is to have a mixed reef, with more to sps (down the road). Really would like to have my own euphylia garden and a zoanthid garden as well. For fish stock we must say are leaning in the heavy stock, since there so many amazing looking fish out there! Currently our list is: 2 clownfish, 1 helfrishi firefish, 1 Midas blenny, 1 Yasha white ray shrimp goby, 1 green mandarin, 1 ruby red dragonet, 1 royal gramma basslet, 1 lineatus fairy wrasse, 1 orange back fairy wrasse, 1 exquisite fairy wrasse, 1 mcCosker flasher wrasse, 1 flame angel. The remaining list are fish we would love to have but are concern if we can have them all comfortably... 1 coral beauty, 1 spot foxface, 1 yellow tang, 1 kole eye yellow tang, 1 powder blue tang, 1 blue tang, and 1 copper band butterfly fish (although this one seems to be quite the challenge from what I've gathered). What do you guys think, to many? Originally I thought it could work being that the tank total water volume should be a 180 with the sump. What I tried to focus on fish selection was around fish for different section of the tank habitat, Reef safe, peaceful, would easily accustom to pellets while away for the day or a trip, and would play a beneficial role in the tank maintenance. Thoughts?

Our aquascape is still in the planning stage but this is what we got so far...
IMG_7467.PNG

Would appreciate feedback if you any potential problems or maybe possible tips.

So guess that was a long introduction lol, but I must say I am very excited to be getting into this hobby and setting up this tank! As previously mentioned I have learned allot from this community and am very appreciative. Bulk Reef Supply, and many youtubers also have my many thanks for all they do!

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand looks great, man! Welcome to your new reefing community home! :)

Be careful with the Angels... they can be polyp eaters. ;)

Most of your fish selection looks quite solid... however, some things to consider:

Having multiple wrasse and tangs on that list, an acclimation box will be pretty much required. This will allow you to introduce the fish while minimizing aggression. Each fish is different, but I can tell you that, for example, I introduced a McCosker’s Flasher to a tank that already had an Exquisite Fairy Wrasse in it, and had it not been for my acclimation box, the flasher would have been hounded to death. Given time to adjust in a safe place, they do just fine now.

The tangs will be the same issue. If you are not able to get small ones, and introduce them all at once, you will need to carefully observe new introductions in the box for aggression... although the tangs you want are all from different groups, so that will tend to help you.

I have a Yellow Tang, a Hippo Tang, and a Magnificent Foxface in my tank, and interestingly enough the only aggression I get is the Yellow occasionally picking on the Foxface! They are similar body shapes, so that’s what I attribute it to.

You will want to introduce the Dragonette and the Mandarin last, once your fuge has had time to mature and developed a very healthy, thriving, pod population.

Copperbands can be tricky because it can be difficult to get them to eat. If you are wanting to feed your fish pellets, I would probably shy away from them, though if you find one that is healthy and already eating pellets well, you should be OK.

Please ask any questions you might have! Just remember... nothing good happens in this hobby when you don’t go SLOW! :)

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and your new journey! Set up looks great so far! Love the rock work! Good luck and never hesitate to ask questions there are a lot of kind friendly people here to help in any way we can! I look forward to seeing how your tank grows!

OP
OP
C

Cesar Romero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand looks great, man! Welcome to your new reefing community home! :)

Be careful with the Angels... they can be polyp eaters. ;)

Most of your fish selection looks quite solid... however, some things to consider:

Having multiple wrasse and tangs on that list, an acclimation box will be pretty much required. This will allow you to introduce the fish while minimizing aggression. Each fish is different, but I can tell you that, for example, I introduced a McCosker’s Flasher to a tank that already had an Exquisite Fairy Wrasse in it, and had it not been for my acclimation box, the flasher would have been hounded to death. Given time to adjust in a safe place, they do just fine now.

The tangs will be the same issue. If you are not able to get small ones, and introduce them all at once, you will need to carefully observe new introductions in the box for aggression... although the tangs you want are all from different groups, so that will tend to help you.

I have a Yellow Tang, a Hippo Tang, and a Magnificent Foxface in my tank, and interestingly enough the only aggression I get is the Yellow occasionally picking on the Foxface! They are similar body shapes, so that’s what I attribute it to.

You will want to introduce the Dragonette and the Mandarin last, once your fuge has had time to mature and developed a very healthy, thriving, pod population.

Copperbands can be tricky because it can be difficult to get them to eat. If you are wanting to feed your fish pellets, I would probably shy away from them, though if you find one that is healthy and already eating pellets well, you should be OK.

Please ask any questions you might have! Just remember... nothing good happens in this hobby when you don’t go SLOW! :)

I appreciate the advice, thank you! I'll be sure to add that to the cart. Definetly going to go on the slow speed, trying to make sure I cross my t's and dot my i's. The last thing I would want is for me is to rush to get started, pursuing something I saw in google that took someone years, and end up with a huge problem or a crash from the start. The thing I sometimes try to sit down and think about in this hobby, since it's new to me, is what questions or scenarios have i not sat down and gone over yet. It's like I don't know what I don't know lol if that makes sense. Thank you for going over my fish list as well, if I may ask, what would be the order and timeframe you would place between every new batch of fish?

OP
OP
C

Cesar Romero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

I'm glad so many of you guys like the stand and the aquascape! It really helps boost the confidence of a newbie lol. Oh, and sorry everyone for my bad grammar, guess I got to excited in sharing the experience late last night lol.

OP
OP
C

Cesar Romero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really have had great dealings with them! I purchase the refugium kit from him, directly instead of amazon, cheaper. He included a book and actually gave me a few pieces extra to adjust the sump the way I wanted it. I followed the book and video and came out great!
I also bought a 150 gallon custom acrylic tank from him and extremely happy with the craftsmanship! I shopped around different venders and local store and for the price it could not be beat!
Through both purchases he answer all my emails, many questions, and easy to deal with. His definitely my go to for any future aquarium builds, sump, or custom acrylic request. Here some pics if it helps:
1F350375-C536-4C63-B966-6F7D50AF2BD3.jpeg
8EDCE76D-F0B6-4528-896C-8DAB9D7BAFDD.jpeg
5F584141-790F-4DCB-8876-BA404A4C5032.jpeg
17F8D955-82F1-4FC9-8CEF-8164A6BC5E23.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%

Back