Hello Everyone!

Johnny252

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

My name is Johnny I have been in and out of reefing for the past ten years, although I must say I have never really had an amazing tank. I currently own a Waterbox 30gallon AIO that I am extremely happy with. Unfortunately, the tank took a turn for the worst after we left someone in charge when we went on vacation for a week. Last week I decided I was going to start all over again after I came home to red slime. I noticed also that all my nasaurius and turbo snails were slowly dying. For weeks I struggled along trying everything to get the tank back into its groove. Ironically I had never ever seen coraline algae growing in my tank and finally when it was starting to take off all my coral began to die. I lost my favorite cyphastrea first then followed by my montiporas and finally my hammer. I currently still have GSP thats happy and a zoa garden that is alive but not opening. This week I will be starting all over again and moving my 2 clowns, royal gramma, and firefish into another aquarium while I cycle the new rock and sand. I also decided to pull the trigger on an APEX A3 after a 20% coupon worked on it.

Additionally I am hoping to start this forum as a clean slate as the other forum I belonged to seems to be slowing down quite a bit! Looking forward to getting to know you guys and make new friends!

My current Setup is as follows
- Waterbox AIO 30 gallon w/ inTank media baskets
- Ecotech Radeon XR15 G5
- APEX A3 controller (not installed yet)
- Red Sea REEFdose 4
- Tunze 9001 DOC Skimmer
- 2 Nero 3 wavemakers
- 2 Fluval 50 watt heaters for redundancy
- AutoAqua Duetto ATO with Advanced acrylics slim container
- Inkbird Aquarium controller (being replaced by APEX)

Livestock
- 2 paired clowns
- Royal Gramma
- Firefish
- Emerald Crab
- Bunch of nano nasarius snails
- 6 small hermits.

I will be starting with Caribsea Liferock the purple variety and will be using their ocean direct live sand. I am probably going to dose ammonia and MicroBacter 7 and see where that goes. I am currently using Redsea Coral Pro and I am wanting to stick to that. Almost all the amazing tanks I see use that stuff plus I'm not even half way through my current bucket. Really sad that this 2 year project is coming to an end but really excited for what is to come. Sorry about the lack of pictures but I would rather share the new project soon!

If you have made it all the way down here! Thank you and please any suggestions and tips are always welcome! I am looking to do a 4 month cycle like BRS recommends.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

My name is Johnny I have been in and out of reefing for the past ten years, although I must say I have never really had an amazing tank. I currently own a Waterbox 30gallon AIO that I am extremely happy with. Unfortunately, the tank took a turn for the worst after we left someone in charge when we went on vacation for a week. Last week I decided I was going to start all over again after I came home to red slime. I noticed also that all my nasaurius and turbo snails were slowly dying. For weeks I struggled along trying everything to get the tank back into its groove. Ironically I had never ever seen coraline algae growing in my tank and finally when it was starting to take off all my coral began to die. I lost my favorite cyphastrea first then followed by my montiporas and finally my hammer. I currently still have GSP thats happy and a zoa garden that is alive but not opening. This week I will be starting all over again and moving my 2 clowns, royal gramma, and firefish into another aquarium while I cycle the new rock and sand. I also decided to pull the trigger on an APEX A3 after a 20% coupon worked on it.

Additionally I am hoping to start this forum as a clean slate as the other forum I belonged to seems to be slowing down quite a bit! Looking forward to getting to know you guys and make new friends!

- Ecotech Radeon XR15 G5
- Red Sea REEFdose 4
- Tunze 9001 DOC Skimmer
- 2 Nero 3 wavemakers

Livestock
- 2 paired clowns
- Royal Gramma
- Firefish
- Emerald Crab
- 6 small hermits.

I will be starting with Caribsea Liferock the purple variety and will be using their ocean direct live sand. I am probably going to dose ammonia and MicroBacter 7 and see where that goes. I am currently using Redsea Coral Pro and I am wanting to stick to that. Almost all the amazing tanks I see use that stuff plus I'm not even half way through my current bucket. Really sad that this 2 year project is coming to an end but really excited for what is to come. Sorry about the lack of pictures but I would rather share the new project soon!

If you have made it all the way down here! Thank you and please any suggestions and tips are always welcome! I am looking to do a 4 month cycle like BRS recommends.

Welcome! Glad you joined.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). If you are keeping both tanks, then you might consider a thread for both tanks (but that is entirely up to you)... but they will only give you one badge.

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That's awesome you got such a good deal on your Apex. I'm hoping to pick one up this black Friday for a good deal!

You should start a build thread for the new setup so we can follow along and help where we can!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, glad you are here! You got knocked down but got back up, respect. Good luck with this new build. I hope you take Fish Think Pink’s advice, I’ll be following.

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

- Ecotech Radeon XR15 G5
- Red Sea REEFdose 4
- Tunze 9001 DOC Skimmer
- 2 Nero 3 wavemakers

Livestock
- 2 paired clowns
- Royal Gramma
- Firefish
- Emerald Crab
- 6 small hermits.

Welcome to the reef! Glad to have ya!
10DCE5FF-7797-47E6-B1DD-13BEEEC39E60.gif

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello Everyone,

- Ecotech Radeon XR15 G5
- Red Sea REEFdose 4
- Tunze 9001 DOC Skimmer
- 2 Nero 3 wavemakers

Livestock
- 2 paired clowns
- Royal Gramma
- Firefish
- Emerald Crab
- 6 small hermits.

Welcome! Glad you're starting a tank (again and again and again?). Start your build thread for those pictures! It sounds like this build is off to a good start and I'm looking forward to seeing it progress!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back